Tourism minister gets tough with Phuket taxi and vehicle-rental cowboys

webfact

I have an idea. Why not have the tourist's contact the local embassy when they are forced to hand over their passport in exchange for rentals? It is property of that individual and their country. Let the embassy official put pressure on the Thai government to show them it is illegal and offer consequences. Wait this is Thailand we are talking about I almost forgot. Dealing with their government is totally useless and will cause further chaos and confusion and lead to basically nothing in the end except smiles. wai2.gif

How can you be "forced to hand over" your passport? If they ask, and you don't want to hand it over, just don't. Easy as that. Do you really think it's necessary to call your embassy and have them contact Thai officials because you "handed over" your passport to somebody when you didn't have to (and knew you shouldn't to begin with)??

I've rented m/b's upcountry and told them up front that I will not give them my passport, but they can have a photocopy of it (which I had brought with me), and they had no problem with that at all. Even gave me back the copy when I brought the bike back. If someone insists they want your passport, just tell them no thanks and go somewhere else.

• Like 1

I view this initiative in much the same vein as the pronouncement of a Pattaya councillor over 10 years ago who said that he would sweep the ladies who rented by the hour from Beach Road. He said that he would stake his reputation on it happening. His 'reputation' has remained intact.

Plenty of valid comments about this subject, as well as some interesting conclusions concerning the governments real intentions. I do see changes coming when it concerns the flow of revenue into the country. The police have gone through some pretty dramatic changes compared to 20 years ago. More professional BIB and there are still dishonest ones around...as in my own country.

The internet as well at TV brings these to the attention of the world community and change will come. Perhaps not as fast as we would like, but change for the better none-the-less. Wear your helmet and drive defensively. :)