Archbishop Tutu "will not worship a homophobic God"

isanbirder

From the same article:

The UN would push for gay rights to be recognised in countries where they are illegal, Ms Pillay said.

"I constantly hear governments tell me, 'but this is our culture, our tradition and we can't change it'... So we have lots of work to do," she added.

My sentiments exactly.

Gay rights activism focused on their entire planet.

A la Hillary Clinton, Barack Obamna, Desmond Tutu, and the United Nations.

As Hillary famously said: Gay Rights Are Human Rights.

Silence is NOT an option.

Not in friendly countries.

Not in countries of festering homophobia.

To clarify, Obama doesn't deserve as much credit as Hillary Clinton on this, but she did serve in his name.

Edited by Jingthing

Your fairly free to post most anything you want to that is gay related. If you have questions, feel free to send me (or any other moderator a PM). I am not sure what issues you feel need to be addressed, but discussing them in the open forum would probably be inappropriate.

Changing a culture can be slow and difficult. Changing the laws to facilitate a cultural change can be done quickly.

That is very true. But changing the laws can be useful and is part of the package.

It is difficult to change the law if there is not enough support from the population.

With regards to the title of this topic, I'd like to know what the Pope says about this statement.

Archbishop Tutu is Anglican, perhaps Justin Welby the current Archbishop of Canterbury could weigh in on the topic.

You beat me to it!

The Anglican Church of Southern Africa, of which Archbishop Tutu was primate, is technically part of the Anglican Communion so although the Archbishop of Canterbury is primus inter pares he has no authority over the ACSA or seniority over Archbishop Tutu, though.

Another church in the Anglican Communion is the Episcopal Church of the USA, where Gene Robinson was Bishop of New Hampshire so Archbishop Tutu is far from alone in his Christian support for gay issues.

• Like 1

He didn't say Tutu was Catholic. He just asked what the Pope would say. The Pope can't have an opinion on something someone of another sect says? Oy vey!

Oy vey..... then lets ask a Rabbi and an Imam what they think about the retired Anglican Archbishops comments.

On topic for Christians of the Anglican Communion which I am a member of, his words are encouraging. If any other "sect" is encouraged then good for them but I doubt any will comment.

Are you sure Tutu speaks only for his sect?

My feeling is he speaks for all that respond to the spirit of his great message. REGARDLESS of religious affiliation, if any.

The idea of putting people into neat little boxes based on religious sect labels doesn't appeal to me.

Edited by Jingthing

A series of off-topic posts were deleted. The topic is not the pope and the person asking the original question did not take part in the discussion. It's pretty clear that the response were nothing more than a means of having a nasty exchange between posters.

Please try to stay on the topic of the thread.

Thanks.

Are you sure Tutu speaks only for his sect?

My feeling is he speaks for all that respond to the spirit of his great message. REGARDLESS of religious affiliation, if any.

The idea of putting people into neat little boxes based on religious sect labels doesn't appeal to me.

Correct. Archbishop Tutu, whichever religion he belongs to, is a respected man, in Africa and beyond.

• Like 1