Drug lord 'KaTer' extradited from Myanmar to face charges

Lite Beer

Drug lord 'KaTer' extradited from Myanmar to face charges
Theerapol Khumsuk
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) secretarygeneral Pongsapat Pongcharoen said yesterday that suspected drug lord Somchai "KaTer" Rakyodying had been handed over to the ONCB at Suvarnabhumi International Airport after being extradited from Myanmar.

Somchai who is believed to be the mastermind behind the illegal trade in the cold medicine, pseudoephedrine used to make methamphetamine, was arrested in Myanmar last August.

Somchai fled to Myanmar last year after Thai authorities uncovered a stash of 137,000 pseudoephedrine pills at his rented house in Tambon San Klang in Chiang Mai province. Another package containing 10,000 pseudoephedrine pills posted from Uttaradit’s Thong Saen Khan Hospital, was found at another house he rented in Tambon Ton Pao.

Pongsapat said the ease with which Somchai was extradited from Myanmar was due to the good relationship and close bilateral cooperation the two countries enjoyed in the crackdown on transnational drug rings.

The next step, said Pongsapat, would be to hand Somchai over to the Department of Special Investigation for further investigation relating to the charges filed against him.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-28

Can you be considered a drug lord for cold medicine? I got some lemsip in the cupboard, wonder if that makes me a street level dealer.......... OK, of course its clear what it was going to be used for, just wonder exactly what law has been broken.

It's a controlled substance in the US...you have to show ID and if you go to buy too frequently they will not let you. I think they will let you buy up to 14 pills......so 10,000 + 100,000 - must be some kind of cold.....

It's used to make metnamphetmine "meth" - chances are he's got a few labs scattered around that he uses to produce the stuff - or supplies.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Can you be considered a drug lord for cold medicine? I got some lemsip in the cupboard, wonder if that makes me a street level dealer.......... OK, of course its clear what it was going to be used for, just wonder exactly what law has been broken.

It's a controlled substance in the US...you have to show ID and if you go to buy too frequently they will not let you. I think they will let you buy up to 14 pills......so 10,000 + 100,000 - must be some kind of cold.....

It's used to make metnamphetmine "meth" - chances are he's got a few labs scattered around that he uses to produce the stuff - or supplies.....

Any idea what sort of charge and sentence someone might expect for this? Would guess with it being used in meth and Thailands stance on drugs it would be pretty harsh.....

Could get dead rather fast as he knows a lot about who else is involved in getting drugs out of Hospital's etc. He won't be happy to be back and a lot more will be unhappy that he has arrived. Watch for the next exciting episode !!

"He won't be happy to be back and a lot more will be unhappy that he has arrived". How very true, Trainman, especially the bit about all those now in a state of panic over his return! I don't think there was ever a satisfactory answer as to how the State-run hospitals were looted of hundreds of thousands of those pills, and who was pocketing the money.

Read about how meth is made. Then you will understand. If you are stocking up on or making pseudoephedrine, yes, you will be looking at trouble not only in Thailand, but in most countries that are experiencing a meth problem.

This is very interesting, you have to show an ID to buy cold medicine in the US, but the DOJ is telling the states that people do not need to show an ID to vote in an election.coffee1.gif

Welcome Back Ka Ter

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out.
Welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about.
Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've got him on the spot,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Welcome Back Ka Ter

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,

But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)

Back here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've got him on the spot,

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Well done

Singed "Epstein's Mom"

how about, not suppying raw materials to myanmar to stop the production of ya ice and import into thailand ?

India is the largest comercial producer of ephedrine & pseudoephedrine for manufacturing cold tablets that are then converted to YaBa etc Thailand is or until very recently, one of the major source countries for cold tablets to produce YaBa/Ice in Myanmar

From the following URL. "An additional 2 billion similar tablets to treat common colds have been smuggled in from Taiwan and South Korea, also to make illegal drugs, authorities said. Corrupt chemists and drug dealers have been extracting ephedrine and pseudoephedrine from legal cold remedies and similar medicines in Thailand and secretly shipping it across the border into Laos and C, also known as Burma, where gangs use the ingredients to create a range of amphetamine-based drug"

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4475&Itemid=392