How much do u spend for a good life in Thailand.

oh absolutely you are 100% about that. The scary thing is that the price of autos in Thailand is way way out there so that cost does need to be factored in and makes the monthly costs higher. Of course Thailand auto buying is insanely in the stratosphere compared to the USA. $20,000 gets you a low end junk Toyota if you're lucky, Glad you brought up this important cost

Don't forget the resale value here is much higher also. At least for now!

Just had a friend looking at new cars and the trade in offered on his 2 year old Vios was much lower than he expected. Dont know if it's true but the dealer told him the used market prices have dropped due to the large number of repossessed cars in the auction lots in Bangkok. Main reason given was the 100K government grant on new cars. Many people bought cars but couldn't meet the payments. Don't quote me but I thought that over a million cars were sold under the scheme.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh absolutely you are 100% about that. The scary thing is that the price of autos in Thailand is way way out there so that cost does need to be factored in and makes the monthly costs higher. Of course Thailand auto buying is insanely in the stratosphere compared to the USA. $20,000 gets you a low end junk Toyota if you're lucky, Glad you brought up this important cost

Don't forget the resale value here is much higher also. At least for now!

Just had a friend looking at new cars and the trade in offered on his 2 year old Vios was much lower than he expected. Dont know if it's true but the dealer told him the used market prices have dropped due to the large number of repossessed cars in the auction lots in Bangkok. Main reason given was the 100K government grant on new cars. Many people bought cars but couldn't meet the payments. Don't quote me but I thought that over a million cars were sold under the scheme.

That's why I said "At least for now!". I've heard the same thing about resale values dropping now and predicted for more next year when lots of these loans default. Could be a good time to buy a very late model car???

In my opinion, someone need at least to have 55 000 to 60 000 bahts monthly to start to be able to afford a comfortable lifestyle in Thailand. Probably more if the person live in a popular tourist area like Phuket or in some areas of Bangkok or have a family. Probably way much less if you live in a small village, live alone, have a tight control over your expenses and don't spend much.

I lived myself for 3 years in a mid-size town of central Thailand and I lived a really comfortable lifestyle on a budget of 70 000- 80 000 bahts/month. We had a nice house, go to the movies once a week, eat out at good restaurant 2-3 times a week, shopping, small trips on the weekend, etc. Notice that I could have reduce my expenses by a good 15 000- 20 000 bahts/month by having a smaller car, renting a small apartment, not renting a motorbike and reducing my shopping/divert. expenses by a little bit.

This is a approx. breakdown of my expenses while I was there :

Location of a nice townhouse 8 000 bahts/month

Electricity, water and other bills 2 000 bahts/month

Internet : 650 bahts/month

Car 13 500 bahts/month

Gas for car/motrobike : 6 000 - 8000 bahts/month

Car insurance + car maintenance : 1 500 bahts/month

Motorbike : 2 000 bahts/month

Restaurants and food : 10 000 bahts/month

Activities : 8 000-10 000 bahts/month

Shopping and other expenses : 20 000- 25 000 bahts/month

In my opinion 100 000 bahts/month is a lot and could be easily reduced if needed.

Living in Bangkok seems to be expensive compared to other areas. Spending 80000 THB only for the rental and with all the other stuff like energy 9000THB, Maid 6000 THB all the shopping and eating we spend with 2 persons around 250000 - 300000 each month. Planing now to get a car so the budget will grow again. I don't think Bangkok is expensive compared to other locations like Hong Kong. We decided to move to Bangkok because of the relative small rent compared to other cities. But wouldn't say it's really cheap here. Living here since about 1 and a half year so maybe we will learn how to reduce budget. But for example eating western food isn't the cheapest way.

I have read large variations in electricity costs on this forum. My electricity runs about 7500 - 8500 a month. AC on most nights from 5.30pm to 10pm in living room then overnight in our bedroom, swimming pool with salt water chlorinator, 3 fridges and a chest freezer, 15 year old daughter who has air on very cold all night and other times as well. Plus all the usual TV's audio, electric oven, water pumps etc. Does anyone else have a bill this high?

First, i would like to congratulate you on becoming a father.

Second, I am genuinely confused. How could you possibly spend 100-120k per month in Thailand? (and presumably not notice)

I live in BKK with my GF and our 1 year old daughter. I have never counted up exactly, but i'll try now:

• rent = 6k
  • electricity, water, internet = 2k
  • pocket money for GF = 6k (she buys all milk, nappies/diapers, and (some) food. And her transport)
  • money i spend on stuff for all of us = maybe 6k

So that's 20k for a small family in Bangkok and we don't feel like we scrimp much - i would say we are living "a good life".

Ok, there is probably some other (luxury) costs, which vary per month, and i haven't kept track of:

• some alcohol, luxury food, massage, cinema etc etc = maybe 2k - 4k (hard to gauge exactly)

But still within 25k anyway, that's for sure. And even on an extravagant month (if we go on a trip to her hometown with Nokair), i couldn't imagine how it could go above 30k.

Enjoy parenthood!

Edited by ChrisB87

I have read large variations in electricity costs on this forum. My electricity runs about 7500 - 8500 a month. AC on most nights from 5.30pm to 10pm in living room then overnight in our bedroom, swimming pool with salt water chlorinator, 3 fridges and a chest freezer, 15 year old daughter who has air on very cold all night and other times as well. Plus all the usual TV's audio, electric oven, water pumps etc. Does anyone else have a bill this high?

look at my electricity bill (march/april 2013) sad.png

Elect%20%2004-13.jpg

Save some of the ozone for the next generation! cheesy.gif

some people enjoy saunas and sweating. i don't! dry.png

fact: my carbon footprint using electricity in Thailand for airconditioning is considerably less than the negative footprint and pollution i would cause by burning heating oil in my home country.

look at my electricity bill (march/april 2013) Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for that. I feel a lot better now. Is that just the house?

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Elect%20%2004-13.jpg

Me too, now I don't feel so bad @ 4-5k/mo.

Naam, do you have 3 phase or something non-standard? Noted the .5204 rate. Just curious.

I spend about the same on electric bill now when i live in a 3 store house and use aircon constantly, as i did in my last small rental room without using air con at all.

I also use a 2nd fridge now, so my conclusion is i got scammed all over on 'service fee'

A lot of people here seem to have more money than sense and waste their money because they can. They come out here and get a huge 5 bedroom house with pool and 2 cars and a Harley motorbike and maids whereas if they were still in their home country they would probably be in a 3 bed semi with a Ford Focus. You NEED a roof over your head, food and education. They don't have to run you these enormous sums each month. People spend the money because they can....For the record I am single and live in Bangkok and I can survive on 15,000 a month but I usually spend more ( also because I can )...

I have more money than sense. Thank god :)

• Like 1

Save some of the ozone for the next generation! cheesy.gif

some people enjoy saunas and sweating. i don't! dry.png

fact: my carbon footprint using electricity in Thailand for airconditioning is considerably less than the negative footprint and pollution i would cause by burning heating oil in my home country.

Yeah, it has always been curious to me how many people still live in freezing regions now that you don't die from a mosquito bite anymore.

First, i would like to congratulate you on becoming a father.

Second, I am genuinely confused. How could you possibly spend 100-120k per month in Thailand? (and presumably not notice)

I live in BKK with my GF and our 1 year old daughter. I have never counted up exactly, but i'll try now:

• rent = 6k
  • electricity, water, internet = 2k
  • pocket money for GF = 6k (she buys all milk, nappies/diapers, and (some) food. And her transport)
  • money i spend on stuff for all of us = maybe 6k

So that's 20k for a small family in Bangkok and we don't feel like we scrimp much - i would say we are living "a good life".

Ok, there is probably some other (luxury) costs, which vary per month, and i haven't kept track of:

• some alcohol, luxury food, massage, cinema etc etc = maybe 2k - 4k (hard to gauge exactly)

But still within 25k anyway, that's for sure. And even on an extravagant month (if we go on a trip to her hometown with Nokair), i couldn't imagine how it could go above 30k.

Enjoy parenthood!

6000 THB for a condo for 3 in Bangkok ????

If this is not scrimping, then I don;t know what is ?

Very interesting reading for sure. Comes down to your definition of great lifestyle and what you like to do. Key component is how much you pay for rent and where you live.

For us, married couple no kids yet spend 100k a month or so including rent on a nice 75sqm condo in Sathorn area, run the aircon when we want/need, wifi, mobile phones with data plans, car payment, gas, etc and some money for fun and local travel. Eat out when we want have at least one meal at home or street style food every day. Life is good. Could cut back some if necessary but then would not consider it living well.

Elect%20%2004-13.jpg

Naam, do you have 3 phase or something non-standard? Noted the .5204 rate. Just curious.

it's the "main" house plus a rather small house for our domestic staff. if i'm not mistaken the ".5204 rate" is called something like "fuel surcharge rate" but has nothing to do with my 3-phase connection.

• Like 1

A lot of people here seem to have more money than sense and waste their money because they can. They come out here and get a huge 5 bedroom house with pool and 2 cars and a Harley motorbike and maids whereas if they were still in their home country they would probably be in a 3 bed semi with a Ford Focus. You NEED a roof over your head, food and education. They don't have to run you these enormous sums each month. People spend the money because they can....For the record I am single and live in Bangkok and I can survive on 15,000 a month but I usually spend more ( also because I can )...

and your point is? huh.png

get a life (if you can)... which i doubt dry.png

I really don't fancy going much into detail, but for us, family of 5, it is normal to spend 150-200k a month in Bangkok. Electricity is between 6 and 8k. Good size house. Two cars.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and your point is? Posted Image

get a life (if you can)... which i doubt Posted Image

As I said in an earlier post.. Why would anyone move from their home country to a completely foreign country without the attraction of a better lifestyle. This applies just as much to someone on a pension as it does to an ex-pat on a high salary.

• Like 1

and your point is? huh.png

As I said in an earlier post.. Why would anyone move from their home country to a completely foreign country without the attraction of a better lifestyle. This applies just as much to someone on a pension as it does to an ex-pat on a high salary.

i think there are more reasons why people move to another country than the attraction of a better life style. life style might not change much (my case) but financing the life style in a country like Thailand that does not tax foreigners on their offshore income can make a huge big difference. other reasons might be getting married to a lady of a particular foreign country, a more appreciated climate, the list of reasons is a long one.

• Like 1

look at my electricity bill (march/april 2013) sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Elect%20%2004-13.jpg

We have a 3 phase , 50 amp incoming supply to the house. I didn't think that made a difference to the tariff??

and your point is? xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

i think there are more reasons why people move to another country than the attraction of a better life style. life style might not change much (my case) but financing the life style in a country like Thailand that does not tax foreigners on their offshore income can make a huge big difference. other reasons might be getting married to a lady of a particular foreign country, a more appreciated climate, the list of reasons is a long one.

The first part of your post is pretty much what I meant. For a given income your lifestyle can be better here than in a lot of western countries but I can't understand why someone would come here with a given income and then live under lesser conditions than they can afford. The tax regime for employees and companies is also a great incentive if, like me , you run a business. Don't know about lady thing though. I've been married to a Thai lady for 16 years and she keeps asking me when are we moving back to Australia as she can't cope with the face saving Bull....t that goes on here.

Really depends how you want to live.

Me:

Rent 50k

Maid 2k

True TV 2k (ish)

Electricity 3-5k

Internet 1k (ish)

Mobile 1k (ish)

...So that's about 60k before I start living. If you want good western food here it can get pricey, good steak (Gaucho maybe)...costly, good sushi (place near me forget the name 2-3k for 2) ...costly ...but cheaper than LA. Hotel brunch for 2 on Sunday 2-4k . Or you can eat noodles and larb and go to Fuji really depends what you want. Heaven forbid if you like decent wine!!

I usually hit somewhere around 120k per month and I don't feel like I am living the high life. Bearing in mind I don't go to the more 'exotic neon' areas for nightlife. I could live for less...I just don't want to.

Pick your poison if you can afford it.

Present USD/Baht forex = 70.3k/mo target.

Food/Shopping: 8k

Electric/water: 5.6k

Petrol MBs: 500

Petrol cars: 4k

Inet: 1k

Phones: 800

Sin items for me: 4k

Wife incidentals: 5k

Pets/food: 2k

-- 30.9k/mo --

*Long term obligations amortized/accrued monthly: 17.5k

-- 48.4k/mo --

I'm sure we could make it work in the US but one or both of us might have to work. In our case, it's more about having a comfortable life of relative freedom without needing to work, rather than living to work and working to live. Honestly, couldn't envision myself having a life like this just yet, but now we've seen it's working out, can't imagine going back.

Really depends how you want to live.

Me:

Rent 50k

Maid 2k

True TV 2k (ish)

Electricity 3-5k

Internet 1k (ish)

Mobile 1k (ish)

...So that's about 60k before I start living. If you want good western food here it can get pricey, good steak (Gaucho maybe)...costly, good sushi (place near me forget the name 2-3k for 2) ...costly ...but cheaper than LA. Hotel brunch for 2 on Sunday 2-4k . Or you can eat noodles and larb and go to Fuji really depends what you want. Heaven forbid if you like decent wine!!

I usually hit somewhere around 120k per month and I don't feel like I am living the high life. Bearing in mind I don't go to the more 'exotic neon' areas for nightlife. I could live for less...I just don't want to.

Pick your poison if you can afford it.

tingtongwhatever does not approve that you spend these "enormous" sums! laugh.png

You NEED a roof over your head, food and education. They don't have to run you these enormous sums each month.