Windows Xp Service Pack 2

astral

I have inherited a computer with Windows XP loaded and now I have it on the net

so I want to get it up to date. I have downloaded Service Pack 2, all 266Mb of it

and started to install it.

I seem to remember articles a while back telling users NOT to install the pack.

Does anyone have any comments, experience or advice.

Thanks

Edited by astral

I'm using SP2 for Windows XP and have no problems with it. I've always tried to stay upto date with service packs as they do generally fix a lot of problems. I usually steer clear of the service pack when it first comes out as its been known in the past to introduce new problems. SP2 has been around long enough to have addressed most of the problems.

I'd go with SP2

I have SP2 on all our computers with no problems. I did wait about 6 months after its' release to see what problems there were. Too many security problems to not upgrade to SP2. For your interest here are a few articles on effects of SP2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886264/en-us

However I use a hugh number of different programs and have had no problems.

You should install it.

There are two reasons why you must install it together with all other windows security updates as they are provided. You use the Internet, so the security updates will make you system more robust with regard to Internet attacks and, secondly, in partnership with good antivirus software, it will help to prevent the spread of these Internet attacks.

In the early days of SP2, I don't think it was a case of problems being introduced by the new service pack rather than some of the existing software manufacturers were "on the drag" in updating their software to ensure compatibility with SP2. They were given ample opportunities, and time do do so, but some took their time. For instance, the versions of Norton's software prior to 2005 were incompatible with SP2 and ZoneAlarm software caused problems also.

Edited by Artisan