Just Bought a Nook HD Plus. Question for Nook Users.

Baloo22

I am in the U.S. right now and recently bought a Nook HD Plus. Never had a tablet before, the Nooks were on sale and I also had a coupon for an additional discount. So I went ahead and got a Nook HD+ 32GB. Been exploring it and learning how to use it. So far it's been good. Quickly hooks up to the wireless network at home and also at coffee shops and other hotspots.

I will be returning to Thailand soon. For those that have been using the Nook in Thailand; Is there any specific items that I should get here or anything I should arrange before I leave the U.S. for Thailand? I already have a Barnes and Noble account with U.S. address (and U.S. credit card).

Thanks in advance for your useful advice!

I do not have Nook but have been using Kindle in TH for several years now. No problem, same as in USA re your existing account.

Thanks Keeniau96! I've checked a number of discussion boards, etc, and the general consensus seems to be that if I have a US address and US credit card, I will still be able to obtain ebooks, movies, and tv from Barnes and Noble. Also found some instructions on ripping video from DVDs and then being able to play it on the Nook. Have not done that yet. Saving that for when I have some more time.

Nook ??? Why ??

Have you not heard of Kindle ?

totster blink.png

Really not interested in getting into an argument over Kindle vs Nook. I've never owned a tablet computer and the Nooks were on sale plus I had a coupon for an additional discount. Reviews of the Nook HD and HD+ were good also. So far I've used it more like a tablet than an e-reader but that will change. It runs Chrome for browsing, has apps for email and facebook that work well (so far at least), and more that I have not gotten to yet. I'm not about to spend $500 and up for a iPad or other tablet. The Nook HD+ 32GB for $165 seems to be working just fine for me.

I live in the USA, but travel to Thailand frequently. I have owned a Nook for the last 2 years. I originally purchased it instead of the Kindle because at the time, my local library did not support the Kindle. It is an excellent product, with one drawback. I cannot purchase books from Barnes and Noble when in Thailand. I too have a US address and credit card, but Barnes and Noble blocks international purchases. I can borrow books from my local library and transfer them to the Nook, but cannot purchase books or periodicals when in Thailand. In my case, I load books onto the Nook prior to departure.

I live in the USA, but travel to Thailand frequently. I have owned a Nook for the last 2 years. I originally purchased it instead of the Kindle because at the time, my local library did not support the Kindle. It is an excellent product, with one drawback. I cannot purchase books from Barnes and Noble when in Thailand. I too have a US address and credit card, but Barnes and Noble blocks international purchases. I can borrow books from my local library and transfer them to the Nook, but cannot purchase books or periodicals when in Thailand. In my case, I load books onto the Nook prior to departure.

As with some of the other U.S. media outlets,, you need to perform your login and downloads through a VPN or proxy. These give you a connection to B&N through a U.S.-based server. A free one that allows you to use your browser to do so is available at: http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy/

I use their pc-based VPN service satisfactorily, but there are others as well. This type of VPN service does not require you to install any software on your Nook. I have not used this with a Nook myself, so please post your experience if you try this - it will be useful to other Nook owners.

One issue you may face when you try to access their download site from outside the U.S.: some of the companies place a hidden cookie on your machine that prevents you from connecting even after with a VPN - until you use a program to remove the cookie. On Windows PCs the program ccleaner.exe removes this cookie, and I'm sure other programs will do so as well. I don't know about the Nook, though - whether B&N uses a cookie, or what programs may be available to remove one if they do. Amazon does not appear to use one on their Kindle (I can download from Thailand), but they do on PCs, so I must use a VPN or proxy to access their country-specific content via my PC.

I don't know if it will work on the Tablet but have you tried dnsjumper. The program gives you a different IP address and allows access to hulu and iplayer etc, while in Thailand.

I have Kobo and Kindle and when at work, I don't have the WiFi so I buy books from the Kobo or kindle stores download them to my computer and then side load books into devices via USB connection. I'm pretty sure nook book store has the same option.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK. I just finished a "online chat" with Barnes and Noble's Nook Support. The first "support" person read my question and transferred me to "Digital Services Support". Here is what he told me:

B&N Support: Yes, you can download and make purchases from your account from anywhere, if you have U.S issued credit card and U.S billing address in your online account.

Me: When you say "online account", do you mean my Barnes and Noble Club account?

B&N Support: Yes, you are correct.

Me: And the Nook HD+ will download them even when it is connected to the internet overseas and is using an IP address from overseas?

B&N Support: Yes.

@landslide:

You might want to contact Barnes and Noble support to see exactly why you cannot download books into your Nook while overseas. And how to fix the problem.

• Like 1