September beach, Ko Samet and oil

We recently relocated to Bangkok and are planning a 9 day beach escape in September. We had planned to go to Ko Samet but with the oil spill we are considering other options.

It is the two of us and our 2 year old daughter so we are looking for a family friendly place that is not too developed but enough to be comfortable. Inexpensive, relaxing, pretty beaches are on our list. Ko Samet seemed to be just perfect for us until the spill.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-the cheese stands alone

Edited by thecheesestandsalone

You're right! Samet would have been perfect. Before you cancel your trip, I'd wait a week or so and see how the cleanup goes. Plus, seems the beaches on the east coast didn't get hit? There's a satellite pic here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657235-pttgc-oil-spill-reaches-ban-phe-beach;-tourist-operators-meet/?utm_source=newsletter-20130730-1147&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Just go a bit further East (35Km) to Laem Mae Phim from Ban Phe where the beach is almost as good as some of Samet's and there are some nice restaurants there, downside is it's very quiet except on Thai holidays. Alternatively if you are willing to splash a bit of cash the new Marriot Hotel between Ban Phe & Laem Mae Phim is stunning on a quiet beach, ate dinner there tonight, and the oil won't get that far.

• Like 1

I would recommend Ko Chang. I've always liked it more than Ko Samet (even before the spill). With kids, you might check out the White Beach area on the west side...probably more activities for them, wide selection of hotels, and the sunsets can be spectacular there. The beaches in the south are nice too but much quieter than at White Beach.

Thanks for the advice. Since the spill appears to be worse than initially reported we are going to go elsewhere. It is just not worth a risk when there are so many other places to go. Thanks for the suggestions. A friend suggested Hua Hin too.

Time to research places and hotels again.

Hua Hin would be a viable alternative. Obviously easy to get to from BKK. You might check out the Pran Buri beach areas just south of town if you're less interested in staying in the Hua Hin city center area.

I fear that most of the beaches in the east will be wrecked for a long time to come ... 'suggestions' are coming out that the spill is huge. Probably Cha-am and all areas going south will be where holiday makers, who like the beach, will go. Maybe time to book up now before a price hike.

Just got back from a walk around the island.

The ENTIRE east side of the island from Laem yai to Ao Karang or about 90% of the resorts on Koh Somet, was untouched by oil.

I hiked over the the Wast side. The Wast side across from Ao Thian sunset view point to the southern tip of the island is untouched by oil.

I came over on the boat last night. The ENTIRE channel is clear of oil now.

I have yet to see any oil except in the channel 2 days ago on my way to Ban Phe.

I'm going to hike the north and north west side tomorrow to see if I can find any oil. Ao Prao I believe was the worst hit on the north west side. It seems like most of the clean up boats were around there. I saw no ships, or indeed, no need for ships in the southern half of the island on either side!

You can go where you want, but most of Koh Somet was untouched.

More for us whistling.gif

Look for my update report from the north western side of the island tomorrow.

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 2

I would recommend Ko Chang. I've always liked it more than Ko Samet (even before the spill). With kids, you might check out the White Beach area on the west side...probably more activities for them, wide selection of hotels, and the sunsets can be spectacular there. The beaches in the south are nice too but much quieter than at White Beach.

I loved Koh Chang. Bang Bao (southern end) was the best. White beach had a nice night life. Just before nightfall, fresh fish and meat barbeques all down the beach. Live Music at Sabai Sabai. You can have it either quiet or exciting. Chai Chet had some read good deals on rooms, and there is a little shopping area with a gym. Almost got to Koh Samet, but this thing made us change our mind (was also going to Claeng. to look for a house rental).

Check out Koh Lanta. Very quiet this time of year (rainy season). Unfortunately, it woulld not surprise me at all if things get much worse on Samet. TiT and all.

But Koh Lanta might be too quiet at this time.....

I have my condo in Rayong - Mae Rumphung Beach. Actually very close to oil spill, we can see Koh Samet from our balcony. We are a bit west from Koh Samet and peninsula near it (2km).

I warmly recommend for families with kids. Only 2 hours from Bangkok, much cheaper than islands and the beach is 10km long, wide and kid friendly.

Some attractions are Rayong Aqvarium, Classical Forest restaurant and connected water park. Also "jungle flight" is near (and Pattaya 70km). Perhaps you could also go and see the oil spill at Ban Phe?

I like to go to Prachuap Khiri Khan , about 80 klms south of Hua Hin. Ao Manao is a lovely quiet

beach with shops for food over the road. A lovely fishing village about 5 klms up the road going

over the bridge.

I would suggest tong nai pan yai beach in koh phangan. Far lest expensive then the more exclusive tong nai pan noi yet amazingly beautiful, quiet in september yet still has a decent choice of places to eat and drink. September is one of my favorite months in Koh Phangan. The august rush is gone and the weather is usually great. You might see an occasional dump but heavy rains normally dont come until October. Unless you are going the week of the full moon party there is no reason to book ahead, there are plenty of options available in September.

You might feel a little bit stuck there as its on the other side of the mountain and trek to go back and forth into town so maybe do 2-4 days on a beach outside tong sala and up to a week on tong nai pan. If you can handle paying 1500-1900 a night there is a fantastic place to stay called the glass cottage. 1.5 K west of town.(pretty close to Amsterdam bar!) Its only one cottage so this you do have to book. Sunset view, great decor, walk down to private beach and a cozy thai restaurant right be hind the cottage. One of the longest residing farangs owns the cottage and a popular breakfast joint called A's coffee shop in town. His name is Mike tell him Ando sent ya.