Tourists cancel booking for Koh Samet

webfact

Just been swimming at tub Tim beach, you wouldn't know there was a problem over the other side of the island, everything this side is fine. Plan to stay another 10 days so will keep you updated

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect App

thanks for the update! please keep them coming!!

Yes, please update if the situation changes. I will be heading that way next week. Cheers.

Who cares...as nice as Koh Samet is there are other places to go instead, we travelers have choices. OK I feel for the affected businesses but it's just one of these things...you can't have it all.

Who cares? Many of us care ... and not for just selfish reason that some of us have plans to head there. It's man 'caused disaster that can adversely impact the nature with ripple down effect.

those beaches will never be the same. years from now beach goers will be wiping the bottoms of their feet to get the tar off. it will never come out of the rocks completely. any business directly in front of the affected areas will fold. ninety days from now they will still be cleaning up with no end in sight. it is a complete and total disaster.

I'll bet that if you go to those beaches in 3 months time, you will be hard pressed to find any residual oil.

you are joking right?

According to a technical background paper written for Alaska Wilderness League in 1999, to the naked eye, Prince William Sound may appear normal. Visitors can see spectacular, unspoiled vistas of islands surrounded by blue-green waters and mountain-rimmed fjords. But if you look beneath the surface, oil continues to contaminate beaches, national parks and designated wilderness. In fact, the Office of Technology Assessment estimated beach cleanup and oil skinning recovered only 3-4 percent of the Exxon Valdez oil, and studies by government scientists estimated that only 14 percent of the oil was removed during cleanup operations.

Pockets of oil—an estimated 16,000 gallons, according to federal researchers—remain buried in small portions of the intertidal zone hard hit by the spill. Moreover, surveys "have documented lingering oil also on the Kenai Peninsula and the Katmai coast, over 450 miles away," according to the council.

Twenty years after the oil spill, the ecosystem is still suffering. Substantial contamination of mussel beds persists, and this remarkably unweathered oil is a continuing source of toxic hydrocarbons. Sea otters, river otters, Barrow's goldeneyes and harlequin ducks have showed evidence of continued hydrocarbon exposure.

The depressed population of Pacific herring—a critical source of food for over 40 predators including seabirds, harbor seals and Steller sea lions—is having severe impacts up the food chain. Wildlife population declines continue for harbor seal, killer whales, harlequin ducks, common loon, pigeon guillemot, and pelagic red-faced cormorants and double-crested cormorants.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

those beaches will never be the same. years from now beach goers will be wiping the bottoms of their feet to get the tar off. it will never come out of the rocks completely. any business directly in front of the affected areas will fold. ninety days from now they will still be cleaning up with no end in sight. it is a complete and total disaster.

I'll bet that if you go to those beaches in 3 months time, you will be hard pressed to find any residual oil.

you are joking right?

According to a technical background paper written for Alaska Wilderness League in 1999, to the naked eye, Prince William Sound may appear normal. Visitors can see spectacular, unspoiled vistas of islands surrounded by blue-green waters and mountain-rimmed fjords. But if you look beneath the surface, oil continues to contaminate beaches, national parks and designated wilderness. In fact, the Office of Technology Assessment estimated beach cleanup and oil skinning recovered only 3-4 percent of the Exxon Valdez oil, and studies by government scientists estimated that only 14 percent of the oil was removed during cleanup operations.

Pockets of oilan estimated 16,000 gallons, according to federal researchersremain buried in small portions of the intertidal zone hard hit by the spill. Moreover, surveys "have documented lingering oil also on the Kenai Peninsula and the Katmai coast, over 450 miles away," according to the council.

Twenty years after the oil spill, the ecosystem is still suffering. Substantial contamination of mussel beds persists, and this remarkably unweathered oil is a continuing source of toxic hydrocarbons. Sea otters, river otters, Barrow's goldeneyes and harlequin ducks have showed evidence of continued hydrocarbon exposure.

The depressed population of Pacific herringa critical source of food for over 40 predators including seabirds, harbor seals and Steller sea lionsis having severe impacts up the food chain. Wildlife population declines continue for harbor seal, killer whales, harlequin ducks, common loon, pigeon guillemot, and pelagic red-faced cormorants and double-crested cormorants.

Ummmm. What was the water temperature?

• 1 month later...

Idiots! One beach was affected. I shall be going to Samet in end of Oct, start of Nov and look forward to cheap rooms and it being nice and quiet on all the lovely clean beaches on the East coast.

Other peoples moronity is the thinking travellers delight.

Edited by Shaksey

Idiots! One beach was affected. I shall be going to Samet in end of Oct, start of Nov and look forward to cheap rooms and it being nice and quiet on all the lovely clean beaches on the East coast.

That's what I thought until 8 of my friends got food posisoning or similar (4 on one day, 4 on the next). Protectile vomitting during the journey home wasn't too plesant. Another friend got a rash across her chest. Coincedence, maybe. But in my 20 odd trips to Samed over the last 10 years, I've never experienced similar.

I'll be leaving it another few months before I return.

most "thinking travellers" would be hesitant to visit a small island surrounded by water that has been tested and found to be highly-contaminated (note that the water samples were taken from various places around the island).

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Contamination-in-and-around-Koh-Samet-causing-conc-30212836.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/High-mercury-levels-found-near-spill-site-30212571.html

http://www.aecnews.net/index.php/en/thailand-1/2313-second-test-says-contamination-level-in-koh-sametis-high

but hey as you said cheap rooms!

Edited by kblaze
  • Like 2

most "thinking travellers" would be hesitant to visit a small island surrounded by water that has been tested and found to be highly-contaminated (note that the water samples were taken from various places around the island).

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Contamination-in-and-around-Koh-Samet-causing-conc-30212836.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/High-mercury-levels-found-near-spill-site-30212571.html

http://www.aecnews.net/index.php/en/thailand-1/2313-second-test-says-contamination-level-in-koh-sametis-high

but hey as you said cheap rooms!

I don't go in the water, I don't eat seafood - I'll be fine sitting on the beach, relaxing, tanning and reading my books :)