Nonthaburi long-tail boat accident injures foreign tourists

webfact

Long-Tail Boat Accident Injures Foreign Tourists

boat.jpg

NONTHABURI: A long-tail boat crash in Nonthaburi province canal left 10 people injured, most of them foreign tourists.

The incident took place at a bridge across the canal near Wat Chalor Temple in Bang Kluay District. The 9 passengers in the boat were slightly injured, while the driver, a 60-year-old Thai man was reported to be in severe condition.

After some investigation, the police said the boat was carrying foreign tourists for a tour along Bangkok Noi canal for sightseeing, until the driver somehow crashed into one of the bridge′s pillars at the scene of the accident.

It is not immediately clear how the accident took place, and whether the driver was under influence of alcohol, as the injured man is being administered in hospital.

Rides along Chao Praya River on these privately-hired long-tail boats are extremely popular among foreign tourists who visit Bangkok.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM05URTNPVFF4TWc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-07-30

buses, vans, taxis, taxi motorbikes, trains, and now canal boat drivers??? <deleted>? this country seriously needs a refurbishment in the transportation department on how they are suppose to operate vehicles of all kinds!

• Like 1

Many of these boats are driven at breakneck speed with their huge diesel engines and the "drivers" often leave no margin for error when passing other vessels or bridges or canalworks. I have been terrified on occasion. On one occasion I got off an unlicensed "illegal" longtail boat way before I planned to as the driver appeared to be driving very dangerously, not caring about passenger safety. As always in Thailand routes are protected by thuggish gangs rather than regulated by bodies charged with enforcing safety standards. If you don't believe me, start up a rival longtail boat operation in Bangkok Noi and see how long before you are shot at.

• Like 1

buses, vans, taxis, taxi motorbikes, trains, and now canal boat drivers??? <deleted>? this country seriously needs a refurbishment in the transportation department on how they are suppose to operate vehicles of all kinds!

You left out one. We're still waiting for a tuk tuk catastrophe.

• Like 1

Due to rainfall, may be boat flick on the water flow.

You sound like you were driving the boat with that post, a flick in the water,when driving a car and I see a flick I slow down to allow for the flick,flick me you jest.

• Like 1

Due to rainfall, may be boat flick on the water flow.

You sound like you were driving the boat with that post, a flick in the water,when driving a car and I see a flick I slow down to allow for the flick,flick me you jest.

FLICK......!

Whaaahahahahahahahaha ha ha hê hê hê. I like!!

Tour bus crash in Indiana, train wreck in Switzerland, train wreck in Spain, the list goes on and on. There isn't a country on earth that doesn't have these types of unfortunate accidents. Some of them a hell of a lot worse than what we see here in Thailand.

yep things happen the world over and all countries have them. However Thailand has a higher percentage of them than other countries, which is a very real problem.

Tour bus crash in Indiana, train wreck in Switzerland, train wreck in Spain, the list goes on and on. There isn't a country on earth that doesn't have these types of unfortunate accidents. Some of them a hell of a lot worse than what we see here in Thailand.

True, very true. Individual cases even worse at times. Mind you such 'senseless' incident seem to occur more often, even weekly in Thailand and at 'only' some dead, a handfull wounded it does at up, I'm afraid.

It does harm the image of Thailand as safe country. Pity really wai.gif

Indeed, but are they de rigueur in those other places? There's no sugar-coating it.

Many of these boats are driven at breakneck speed with their huge diesel engines and the "drivers" often leave no margin for error when passing other vessels or bridges or canalworks. I have been terrified on occasion. On one occasion I got off an unlicensed "illegal" longtail boat way before I planned to as the driver appeared to be driving very dangerously, not caring about passenger safety. As always in Thailand routes are protected by thuggish gangs rather than regulated by bodies charged with enforcing safety standards. If you don't believe me, start up a rival longtail boat operation in Bangkok Noi and see how long before you are shot at.

Those engines aren't that big. They're only 3.0 liter Nissan engines. The purpose for these boats is speed and they're a lot of fun to ride on. Back in the US, my uncle used a Buick 455cu" 7.4 liter V8 for his boat.

That is what I'd consider a big engine.

Hope all recover from this accident.

Those engines aren't that big. They're only 3.0 liter Nissan engines. The purpose for these boats is speed and they're a lot of fun to ride on. Back in the US, my uncle used a Buick 455cu" 7.4 liter V8 for his boat.

That is what I'd consider a big engine.

Hope all recover from this accident.

Yes 3L but they're a lot more powerful than they used to be because the engines come from accident damaged pick-up trucks (of any brand) which these days are Turbo Diesels.

We will see if these long tail homemade Thai boats remain a big tourist attraction. Once tourists start reading how at risk they are on such Thai tours that appear to be just fun novelties but are big risks to tourists with no recourse.

Yeah, I was shot at last week, 3 times in June and 2 each in January, March and April. It's becoming endemic.

Yeah, slippery when wet.

FLICK......!

What?

Sorry for wrong English. But, I want to point something else. Maybe the proper word is undulation. (I saw this word in dictionary and I would like to point out following meaning)

1] A regular rising and falling or movement to alternating sides; movement in waves.

And, thus results in lost in control. I suppose.

• Like 1

It must be the fault of the tourists. If they had not hired the boat the accident would never have happened.

All these foreigners come here and just do things like this, have accidents and get hurt, get robbed, and it seems they go out of their way to cause harm to the reputation of the LOS, meanwhile the inhabitants of LOS are at a LOSS as to how to stop having the reputation of the great LOS nation harmed by these foreigners. One famous son of LOS stated, "Why can't these foreigners just send us their money and not interfere in our country"... coffee1.gif meanwhile.. in the real world...

• Like 1

What?

Sorry for wrong English. But, I want to point something else. Maybe the proper word is undulation. (I saw this word in dictionary and I would like to point out following meaning)

1] A regular rising and falling or movement to alternating sides; movement in waves.

Edited by ginjag

FLICK......!

What?

Good man, at least you are honestly trying your best, welcome to TVF. I realize it must be difficult.

• Like 1

You left out one. We're still waiting for a tuk tuk catastrophe.

I think many people view the whole tuk-tuk (mafia) situation in Phuket as a catastrophe.

Edited by Wavefloater

Maybe they can import some Spanish train drivers and Italian bus drivers to train the locals.