Beyond Khaosan: Will Thailand's push for 'high-value' tourists finally pay off?

webfact

^^ Exactly. It seemed only five minutes ago it was third world and now all this talk of high-end. What they really mean is we want more people to spend more money and we don't really care what you look like or if you have a good time! How about take what you've got and have some respect for your bread 'n butter? i.e. roughians coming for the chicks and ordinary families looking to sun on the beach. Stop looking above your station because before long Burma will have nicked all your genuine tourists just like they sacked your golden age cities... easily... then what will you do, huh?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Indian and Chinese tourists become the staple, Thai's are gonna miss out the good ol days of when they could joke around Farangs and rip them off without a care in the world. A lot of my south-asian friends tell me that Indian tourists are attracted to Thailand in general because they heard that anything can be bargained for in this country. I do believe that, since I've seen an Indian guy try to bargain a McDonalds from 145 to 85 baht (he failed and walked away with his set on the counter).

I mean the only way that Thailand will ever clean up its act when pertaining to tourism is for foreigners to actually choose either Burma or Laos as a destination over Thailand. Knowing Thai people (and being half of one myself), they are very proud in the fact that Thailand is ahead of Burma and Laos, but if these two countries start taking the tourists away from Thailand, then the loss of face experienced will hopefully motivate the govt to improve on the country's tourism aspect.

Remove the backpackers and Pattaya and Khaosarn will be empty.

High value tourists go to high value destinations which Thailand is not.

Try:

Seychelles, Mauritius, Maldives, Hawaii, Florida, Cote D'azur, Monaco,

Bahamas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Vincent, Antigua, St Martin, Cayman Islands,

Los Cabos, Turks & Caicos Islands, Monserrat, Virgin Islands, Figi,

This is correct.

But by Thai tourist standards, the people at the OP photo are already "high value".

"In her statement to the TAT, Yingluck pointed out chidingly that the average visitor to Thailand spends only THB3,000 (USD100) per day."

Ummm...okay.

So let's continue to raise hotel rates, food costs, and prevent businesses from keeping two accounting books so the government can properly collect taxes?

How about the Bangkok Eye, night safari, and another F-1 race at night? Just keep copying Singapore and then visitors will come? Not!

TAT has, for years, put priority to trying to attract high-end tourists. They should, instead, make Thailand accessible to all types. The biggest thing they won't admit is: sex tourism is the one biggest draw. The biggest thing they don't want to see: backpacker visitors spend money, epecially when their large numbers are considered. And backpackers, if they like Thailand, will return when they're older, and their incomes are fatter.

Footpaths (that don't have motocy going both directions) would be a good start.

A country known for ladyboys, cheap shopping and.... ???? isn't so appealing to the tourist they're seeking.

There's a lot of positives (Muay Thai, people who live in the moment), but they do get overshadowed.

My mother (who should know better) is of the opinion Thailand is 3rd world. She travels a lot, mainly to Europe and the Middle east.

I like living here, but it's a shame to see the country and it's people held back by an unwillingness to accept criticism and change what's not working.

Were do high end tourists go for there holidays now ?

Hawaii. Just incase you are thinking about it, please note that it is not cheap - it is not lawlessness. Uncle Sam eberywhere to protect you and at the same time arrest you when you constiture Nuisance. However let me add that this rarely occur because you need to be rich to holiday there.

Is it still compulsory to wear those god awful Hawaiian shirts there?

In her statement to the TAT, Yingluck pointed out chidingly that the average visitor to Thailand spends only THB3,000 (USD100) per day.

I would chidingly point out to Yingluck that 3K baht is the monthly income of many rural folk - and appreciatively less than she spends on yet another Hermes scarf or a Ralph Lauren handbag.

Perhaps the tourists of whom she complains are not so well heeled as she and her cabal since they do not have their sticky fingers in their nation's exchequer?

• Like 1

Lots of experts about on Thai Visa as usual. coffee1.gif

Indeed, that's the purpose of the forum, to discuss, offer advice and criticize. If you're one of them, experts that is, thanks for your input, if not, you might learn a thing or two.whistling.gif

I think that's probably unlikely. The ThaiVisa forum is a lot of things - entertaining, amusing, revealing, diverse - but if you want education or enlightenment, you're better off elsewhere. There are a few genuinely interesting and knowledgeable posters but it's mostly opinionated farang pensioners who think they're a divine gift to the SE Asian economy.

Indeed, that's the purpose of the forum, to discuss, offer advice and criticize. If you're one of them, experts that is, thanks for your input, if not, you might learn a thing or two.whistling.gif

I think that's probably unlikely. The ThaiVisa forum is a lot of things - entertaining, amusing, revealing, diverse - but if you want education or enlightenment, you're better off elsewhere. There are a few genuinely interesting and knowledgeable posters but it's mostly opinionated farang pensioners who think they're a divine gift to the SE Asian economy.

Here's one aged old stupid sex pat with no schooling on pension. I am not boasting at all but if all expats have spent the money I have over the 32 years or more we could hardly be stingy -or spongers.

I always laugh at the posters who say if you don't like it go home. BUT in your case BUZZ OFF.

If you are better elsewhere, keep there, we need friends not foes.

• Like 1

Here's one aged old stupid sex pat with no schooling on pension. I am not boasting at all but if all expats have spent the money I have over the 32 years or more we could hardly be stingy -or spongers.

I always laugh at the posters who say if you don't like it go home. BUT in your case BUZZ OFF.

Please repost the quote of my post with the words 'stingy' and 'spongers' highlighted.

There's no need for such rudeness.

The focus is on tourist volume regardless of average spend, focusing on higher end tourists is a nice idea but the government wouldn't dare raise taxes, standards to thin the volume because it would impact the tourist industry. More(greed), for lack of a better word, is good. More(greed) is right, more(greed)works. More(greed) clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. More(greed), in all of its forms; more(greed) for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And more(greed), you mark my words, will not only save Thailand, but that other malfunctioning corporation called croneyism. Thank you very much.

Pretty sure yet another tourist death - an American on Ao Nang yesterday for singing too long at a karaoke joint - will get those 'high end' tourists booking their flights asap.

Where will it all end ermm.gif

Edited by jpeg

There are many Russian high end tourists here in Pattaya ,the wife and i were walking down beach road the other night and we saw two of them on the beach ,i think the guy was a doctor and the lady on the ground was having some sort of fit and he was laying on top of her to stop her from hurting herself while she was thrashing around ,mind you the lower class people were just standing around watching ,and doing nothing. typical of the lower classes.

• Like 1

Please repost the quote of my post with the words 'stingy' and 'spongers' highlighted.

There's no need for such rudeness.

I will respond again. YOU were the one being rude, You stated " look elsewhere than TVF if want education" "few knowledable posters" " Farrang opinionated pensioners" and the economy bit.

People in glass houses should not throw stones---have another look at what you posted maybe you will see it was RUDE.

The last bit was--I never said you stated******* stingy--spongers, this was a response to your stabbing remark re-economy.

Thais Cast a Wide Net for Diverse Tourists

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/world/asia/thais-cast-a-wide-net-for-diverse-tourists.html

Tolerance, the Thais have learned, is good for business.

In recent advertising and marketing campaigns, the government here in “the land of smiles” has actively gone after categories of tourists that for reasons of political sensitivity or outright discrimination are shunned in some neighboring countries

It is the only Asian country, travel industry analysts say, that has a government-sponsored campaign — “Go Thai. Be Free.” — aimed at gay and lesbian travelers.

Thailand, which is overwhelmingly Buddhist, is also marketing itself to Muslims as a place where food prepared according to Islamic precepts is readily available and where “halal spas” offer separate facilities for women and men. All the leading shopping malls and the beach resort city of Pattaya have Muslim prayer rooms — a far cry from the widespread anti-Muslim feelings in neighboring Myanmar.

The country’s efforts to welcome a broad array of travelers dovetail with longstanding laissez-faire attitudes and traditions of hospitality. But inclusiveness also pays: tourist arrivals have surged in recent years, notably from many predominantly Muslim countries, and the 22 million visitors last year were double the level of a decade ago. Tourism earned the country more than $31 billion last year, according to government statistics.

“We live in a country that is open and pretty liberal — I can’t think of a market that we wouldn’t welcome,” said Wisoot Buachoom, the director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s office in the northern city of Chiang Mai, which has seen a rise in Muslim travelers in recent years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/world/asia/thais-cast-a-wide-net-for-diverse-tourists.html

In recent advertising and marketing campaigns, the government here in “the land of smiles” has actively gone after categories of tourists that for reasons of political sensitivity or outright discrimination are shunned in some neighboring countries

It is the only Asian country, travel industry analysts say, that has a government-sponsored campaign — “Go Thai. Be Free.” — aimed at gay and lesbian travelers.

Thailand, which is overwhelmingly Buddhist, is also marketing itself to Muslims as a place where food prepared according to Islamic precepts is readily available and where “halal spas” offer separate facilities for women and men. All the leading shopping malls and the beach resort city of Pattaya have Muslim prayer rooms — a far cry from the widespread anti-Muslim feelings in neighboring Myanmar.

The country’s efforts to welcome a broad array of travelers dovetail with longstanding laissez-faire attitudes and traditions of hospitality. But inclusiveness also pays: tourist arrivals have surged in recent years, notably from many predominantly Muslim countries, and the 22 million visitors last year were double the level of a decade ago. Tourism earned the country more than $31 billion last year, according to government statistics.

“We live in a country that is open and pretty liberal — I can’t think of a market that we wouldn’t welcome,” said Wisoot Buachoom, the director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s office in the northern city of Chiang Mai, which has seen a rise in Muslim travelers in recent years.

Neither can I. Hence the number of sex tourists, boiler rooms, and criminals on the lam from every corner of the globe. Thailand is a whore who's only interest is money.

• Like 1

Tourists in Thailand are NOT known for their huge intelligence; neither is TAT with their ever-increasing numbers... TAT is sooooo full of it coffee1.gif

'Tourists in Thailand are NOT known for their huge intelligence;' Oh yes? Are you referring to friends of those who live here and visit us? Or merely the 'Jetstar' crowd'? Do tell.

'sooooo full of it coffee1.gif' Yes. YOU are.coffee1.gif

Neither can I. Hence the number of sex tourists, boiler rooms, and criminals on the lam from every corner of the globe. Thailand is a whore who's only interest is money.

In respect to fahlang I'd be the last to argue with you. In fact I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with you.

Thais will rob the fahlang blind if we let 'em.

It doesn't take a fahlang long to learn that, not long at all. Which frustrates the hell out of the Thais because their own culture says they're idiots if they can't steal the fahlang blind. laugh.png

Edited by Publicus

They have been trying to archive this for years and the experiment has failed.

It began in Chiang Mai where today adult entertainments, night social and the social scene has been eroded almost down to nothing. Then of course there was the bright idea of the 1 million baht elite card, another huge flop.

The bread and butter of the tourist industries are the average working class holiday makers, who save all year round, and then go abroad for a couple of weeks to spend, spend, spend and have fun.

Even if the TiT is aiming it`s sites at the South East Asian clienteles, these people will still refuse to pay the exorbitant prices at expensive hotels, expensive restaurants and expensive tours. There are better deals to be had elsewhere. Thailand`s loss will be another country`s gain.

At 1000usd for a ticket, it is never ever going to be a working class family destination.

Single guys, young couples. What they can't understand is that the uber rich want quiet idyll, immaculate surroundings and a reasonable bottle of wine.

Does that sound like anywhere in Thailand?

Thankfully not. So the 'uber rich' can stay out of the country and their farang ghettos.

I'm always amazed by people who are in thrall to those who've made more money than them, by one way or another ...

Instead according to TV threads C/M Pattaya and Phuket are being overrun with cheap Charlie Russia, Chinese and Indian tourists on package holidays,,,,not a valuable income stream by the sound of it.

Really? Then who is paying 1.5 - 2.5k for a lunch of mussels in Phuket Town now? Never seen that jaw dropping price before here.

And may I remind you all that WE are ALL considered to be tourists. Whatever visa you have, however long you've 'stayed' (not 'lived' here - that doesn't compute with Thai Immigration) who do us all the great favour of allowing us to STAY here - for ONE year at a time only.

So those of you denigrating 'Oh those tourists' better take the beam of your own eye before attempting to remove the mote from others.

Some of you are even more up yourselves than the Thais. If that were possible.

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

Is the OP picture depicting "High-End" tourists? Now I know what the term means...

Had I been a "high-end" tourist, loaded with money, Thailand would have been destination # 99 on my travel list...

Having said this I cannot stop wondering - do Thais make adjustments for current events in their predictions?

Like an oil spill (I'm not saying it will happen);

Like a Coup (I'm not saying it will happen);

Like a flood (I'm not saying it will happen);

Like a Tsunami (I'm not saying it will happen);

Like a dengue fever epidemic (I'm not saying it will happen);

Like a huge hike in Thai Baht (I'm not saying it will happen);

Like a sharp escalation in domestic terrorism (I'm not saying it will happen);

Etc., etc., etc. (I'm not saying it will happen).

P.S. No way they will get me for writing unwanted text! giggle.gif