Beyond Khaosan: Will Thailand's push for 'high-value' tourists finally pay off?

webfact

Beyond Khaosan: Will Thailand's push for 'high-value' tourists finally pay off?
By Shane Danaher

us-tourist.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Excepting the possibility of natural or political disaster, 2013 will be a record year for tourism in Thailand.

Last year, the Kingdom hosted 22 million international visitors and, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), this year should improve upon that number, attracting upwards of 24 million tourists to the Kingdom.

While a large amount of this new traffic will come from China, and from repeat visits from European budget travelers, the TAT is hoping to attract a new type of visitor in 2014, one who might change Thailand’s reputation as the country of hangovers (and Hangovers), ladyboys and bucket drinks.

In a March 2013 statement to the National News Bureau of Thailand, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra urged the TAT to attract more “high-end visitors.” While she lauded the agency’s ability to increase the numbers of Thailand’s international visitors, she also urged it to increase the proportion of “high-end” tourists from 20 to 30%.

The TAT, in turn, has moved to capture this high-end segment. Based on the results of a 30,000-person survey, the Authority elected to focus on attracting wealthy visitors by touting Thailand’s possibilities as a destination for golf, wedding or eco-tourism.

“Our focus on niche markets is the way of the future,” writes a TAT representative. “We have to move beyond trying to generate quantitative, numerical growth.”

Conventional logic holds that more tourists equal more money, but in the case of big-spending visitors, more money may be available without putting a further strain on the country’s infrastructure. In her statement to the TAT, Yingluck pointed out chidingly that the average visitor to Thailand spends only THB3,000 (USD100) per day. The PM wants to improve on that number, but some tourism industry professionals question the motivation behind this shift, and doubt its essential practicality. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/31/beyond-khaosan-will-thailands-push-high-value-tourists-finally-pay

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-31

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure isn't going to help get high end tourist into Thailand with all the problems around Phuket. Most foreign tourist will be wanting a pleasant experience of the pristine beaches of Thailand they have read about. They are in for a big surprise when they encounter Tuk Tuk drivers that are out to scam them and jet ski operators that rip off the tourist. Until Thailand can get a handle on this, many tourist will fly back home disappointed after their holiday here.

• Like 2

The average tourist spend a lot more than TBH3000 a day if the calculation is included the flight cost and hotel rate.

Flight cost is insane from Europe with Thai airways and then Bangkok airlines to Samui and back.

Just came home from our 4th vacation in Thailand after 23 days on Samui/Bangkok

and i think if all is included me and my gf spent close to 50,000 Danish kroner which is about TBH 250,000 which is close to TBH 11,000 a day.

I can't see how we could afford to spent a lot more on our vacation.

Unless i get a second job so i can afford more vacations to Thailand ;)

• Like 2

They dont seem to consider the negative reports from the tourists they had already when returning home,

Many of my relatives and friends have told they would love to visit thailand but their wives have no interest and for obvious reasons would never allow their husbands to travel here alone,

Difficult for thailand to loose the image it worked so hard to get after all these years.

• Like 2

Is the couple in the above photo supposed to be the hi end tourists TAT is so desperately chasing?

If so , theyre right on track !

I think Wilbur and Ethel above are more hi calorie and big end. wink.png

Mr and Mrs. Big Mac.

They've got to be American's, right? lol

• Like 1

Is the couple in the above photo supposed to be the hi end tourists TAT is so desperately chasing?

If so , theyre right on track !

Chang nam seems to fit the high end photo's (nothing personal to the couple)

The photo -main heading.

She said "is there a weight watchers club here" he said don't know but I might try a pint of beer while i'm here.laugh.png

with being High end tourists they can afford a 10 bht ice cream from KFC.

• Like 1

Low end tourists cant afford to come to Thailand... The flight cost from Europe kills them off straight away.. 35k baht then the hotel bill so they go to the horrible tacky places instead Turkey and benidorm

Neither of which are cheap. Try again.

Thailand is not in a position to be a hi end tourist detination

It is more known for cheap food, cheap hotels, cheap transportation and cheap woman

By cheap women I mean 30 or less a throw

Everyone I talk to back home would hardly consider Thailand as a destination ...

Too far ... too much risk of trouble ... too many bad reports in the news

Thailand should be happy with what they attract and learn to treat them properly

30 what?

I think you need to clarify that. There are many different currencies at different rates in the world and suggesting 30 in many of them (Thai baht for instance) could cause a stamped.

It is more known for cheap food, cheap hotels, cheap transportation and cheap woman

Everyone I talk to back home would hardly consider Thailand as a destination ...

Thailand should be happy with what they attract and learn to treat them properly

30 what?

I think you need to clarify that. There are many different currencies at different rates in the world and suggesting 30 in many of them (Thai baht for instance) could cause a stamped.

Think he meant pounds sterling--or us dollars.

• Like 1

30 what?

Think he meant pounds sterling--or us dollars.

I was assuming US dollars but there are a lot of expats on here who may be in delicate health and who now think financially in terms of baht. That could have serious consequences. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

• Like 1