Beyond Khaosan: Will Thailand's push for 'high-value' tourists finally pay off?

webfact

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The TAT, in turn, has moved to capture this high-end segment. Based on the results of a 30,000-person survey, the Authority elected to focus on attracting wealthy visitors by touting Thailand’s possibilities as a destination for golf, wedding or eco-tourism.'

Give me a break you pompous people. To get quality you have to give quality. The 20k of "high-end tourists that come to Thailand will never come back without a better infrastructure. 30k out of 24 million is nothing. Park your motor-cye off the sidewalks, stop picking your nose and your zits before you serve me food. Repair the holes in the sidewalk. Do some real work about air-pollution like you said you would in 2003. Do something about the mosquito problem and stop blaming everything wrong with Thailand on the visitors. You have to have more than LBFNs to capture high end people. Eco- tourism? and oil spills . . .

• Like 2

"The TAT, in turn, has moved to capture this high-end segment. Based on the results of a 30,000-person survey, the Authority elected to focus on attracting wealthy visitors by touting Thailand’s possibilities as a destination for golf, wedding or eco-tourism."

Well ok, start by getting rid of sex toys vendors along Sukhumvit Road and other main avenues. This is low class.

And start cleaning the beaches of all the garbage and red bull bottles all over the place

I wonder how many of those 24 million are those who make visa runs. I assume each time they do the run, that is counted as a new tourist coming, even tho the person is only doing it to keep immigration happy. I don't trust the numbers.

• Like 2

They have been trying to archive this for years and the experiment has failed.

It began in Chiang Mai where today adult entertainments, night social and the social scene has been eroded almost down to nothing. Then of course there was the bright idea of the 1 million baht elite card, another huge flop.

The bread and butter of the tourist industries are the average working class holiday makers, who save all year round, and then go abroad for a couple of weeks to spend, spend, spend and have fun.

Even if the TiT is aiming it`s sites at the South East Asian clienteles, these people will still refuse to pay the exorbitant prices at expensive hotels, expensive restaurants and expensive tours. There are better deals to be had elsewhere. Thailand`s loss will be another country`s gain.

At 1000usd for a ticket, it is never ever going to be a working class family destination.

Single guys, young couples. What they can't understand is that the uber rich want quiet idyll, immaculate surroundings and a reasonable bottle of wine.

Does that sound like anywhere in Thailand?

It began in Chiang Mai where today adult entertainments, night social and the social scene has been eroded almost down to nothing. Then of course there was the bright idea of the 1 million baht elite card, another huge flop.

The bread and butter of the tourist industries are the average working class holiday makers, who save all year round, and then go abroad for a couple of weeks to spend, spend, spend and have fun.

Even if the TiT is aiming it`s sites at the South East Asian clienteles, these people will still refuse to pay the exorbitant prices at expensive hotels, expensive restaurants and expensive tours. There are better deals to be had elsewhere. Thailand`s loss will be another country`s gain.

At 1000usd for a ticket, it is never ever going to be a working class family destination.

Single guys, young couples. What they can't understand is that the uber rich want quiet idyll, immaculate surroundings and a reasonable bottle of wine.

True. The cost of the flight here from NA & Europe is expensive. But plenty of guys on low wages make it here. And when you realize that an *ehem* rental costs 10k baht in farangland for just one shot they are way out ahead after just a couple days in the LOS.

Edited by smooth expat

Were do high end tourists go for there holidays now ?

Hawaii. Just incase you are thinking about it, please note that it is not cheap - it is not lawlessness. Uncle Sam eberywhere to protect you and at the same time arrest you when you constiture Nuisance. However let me add that this rarely occur because you need to be rich to holiday there.

• Like 1

It sure isn't going to help get high end tourist into Thailand with all the problems around Phuket. Most foreign tourist will be wanting a pleasant experience of the pristine beaches of Thailand they have read about. They are in for a big surprise when they encounter Tuk Tuk drivers that are out to scam them and jet ski operators that rip off the tourist. Until Thailand can get a handle on this, many tourist will fly back home disappointed after their holiday here.

They don't care about those tourists. They want the high rollers who will put money into the pockets of the 5 star hotels where the money just goes into a large company and instead of affecting 10 people will only affect 5 people.sad.png

Not ever having even looked at the jet ski's I wonder how bad a problem it is. Thai Visa is not exactly a good source for reality in things like that. If one person gets ripped off I wonder how many don't.

Thai Visa for sure is not going to be the place to look for that information.sad.png

I read an interesting article on tourism in Australia a few years ago. It compared regular tourists to backpacker tourists.

Regular tourist tended to stay two weeks, stay in one area when they arrived, and spent an average of 250 dollars a day.

Average backpacker stayed seven weeks travelled all over Australia and spent 175 dollars a day. Over the length of

there stay the backpacker spent 3 x what the regular "high end" tourist spent. The point the Australian government

was making was which tourist was more valuable to the economy. As for Thailand I am sure the ratios are similar but

the average spent per day is less. I would make the case that Thailand's retired ex-pats are the countries most valuable

"tourists". With retiring visa holder needing to have/show 800,000 baht,yearly income, and many having and spending much more

it would behove the Thai government to focus a little attention and love on this group. Steady year round income through low

and high season.The trickle down effect to the economy is huge. If they are kept happy they are excellent word of mouth

advertising. Just a thought for the government.

• Like 2

Thailand is not in a position to be a hi end tourist detination

It is more known for cheap food, cheap hotels, cheap transportation and cheap woman

By cheap women I mean 30 or less a throw

Everyone I talk to back home would hardly consider Thailand as a destination ...

Too far ... too much risk of trouble ... too many bad reports in the news

Thailand should be happy with what they attract and learn to treat them properly

By cheap women I mean 30 or less a throw

30 what?

I think you need to clarify that. There are many different currencies at different rates in the world and suggesting 30 in many of them (Thai baht for instance) could cause a stamped.

That is for sure. Immigration would have to set up a waiting room with sleeping accommodations.

But he did bring up one very good point. All though he tried to make it look negative. It is true many people would never consider traveling half way around the world for a vacation and the country really has nothing to do with there decision.

I wonder how many of those 24 million are those who make visa runs. I assume each time they do the run, that is counted as a new tourist coming, even tho the person is only doing it to keep immigration happy. I don't trust the numbers.

Of course. Last year alone I was counted as 30 separate people and my dad 50. So 2 "tourists" have suddenly turned into 80 - not bad, eh?

Lots of experts about on Thai Visa as usual. coffee1.gif

Indeed, that's the purpose of the forum, to discuss, offer advice and criticize. If you're one of them, experts that is, thanks for your input, if not, you might learn a thing or two.whistling.gif

How do various Thai groups calculate the 'tourist spend?" Do they include street vendor shopping for counterfeit movies and CDs? Do they count sales at MBK, Panthip and other venues for pirated software, music, and movies? Do the count the billions in sex trade that is practiced openly and blatantly almost in front of every shop on most boulevards where tourists and regular expats frequent? Just exactly how do Thais count these "black economy" spends?

High value tourists go to high value destinations which Thailand is not.

Try:

Seychelles, Mauritius, Maldives, Hawaii, Florida, Cote D'azur, Monaco,

Bahamas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Vincent, Antigua, St Martin, Cayman Islands,

Los Cabos, Turks & Caicos Islands, Monserrat, Virgin Islands, Figi,

Half of these are "tax paradises" , considering the recent developments, they may come back to thailand (for holiday...)

Of course. Last year alone I was counted as 30 separate people and my dad 50. So 2 "tourists" have suddenly turned into 80 - not bad, eh?

Oh..............so your dad averaged a visa run approximately every single week of the year?

Your passports must have lots and lots of pages.

coffee1.gif

My business in MBK who does deepens on tourist has its worst performance this year among past 7 years. This is a joke, tourist may be coming here but they don't have money or spend money

They have the numbers now because of Indian and chinese tourist but they spend a lot less. I doubt they can get quality tourist as there are too many problems here. You will have to go through a lot of bad roads bad neighborhoods and bad service before you get to your dream destination here.

When I travel in Thailand with my family i do spend 3000-4000 (hotel / food / entertainment) a day here but only in the south on the islands. When I live here in BKK i don't spend that at all. Parents even spend a bit more as they usually go for the more expensive bungalows but that is it.

I know for a fact that the Indians don't spend as much as my gf is a tourguide and shows a lot of Indians parts of Thailand. They are in general not big spenders.

Maybe it's true for Indian tourists, but not Chinese. Just one example (Switzerland tourism), according to the Washington Post, "Chinese visitors to Switzerland spend on average $350 per day, more than any Western nationalities. Americans spend $220 per day, Germans $150.".

"Yingluck pointed out chidingly that the average visitor to Thailand spends only THB3,000 (USD100) per day. " As long as the population here is arrogant, ignorant, incapable of talking english in the tourism sector, full of natiolism, acting irresponsible, calling different prices for the same service and so on, why people should spent more money or so called high valuable tourists and do the 100,-$ of an average visitor ( this is already insulting ) having a lower value because he is average?!bah.gif1zgarz5.gif

When the Government charges the Visiting Tourist 10 Times more than Thai people to enter tourist attractions (e.g. Koh Samet National Park, The Crocodile Zoo Bangkok , Kings Palace) what are simple Thai Folk going to think is the way to go??

This is another example of Thai normality , You can't change normality ! laugh.png

I like the thought of "eco-toursim, makes me think of all the jelly fish on the beach, that look like plastic bags!

Is the couple in the above photo supposed to be the hi end tourists TAT is so desperately chasing?

If so , theyre right on track !

That was the cheapest royalty-free image they could buy. Much like their tourism infrastructure. Spend low-end, target high-end. :bah:

• Like 1

In all honesty?

It was a dream years ago......

But as for today....

To the good ole brothers?

Give me a reason to return...

A dinged golf club?

C'mon get serious....

Jet Ski damage?

Get real.......

Thailand was much better years ago...

Now it is no longer the land of smiles...

Funny how shit changes......

Just my opinion....

Too many people have added to the corruption...

Just a thought brothers.....

kilosierra

Well, if the high class tourist ever leaves the airport, they will be in for a schock.

FYI, just because you never leave the mall or whatever little bubble you live in, doesn't mean that 80% of the rest of your country isn't a poverty stricken backwater.

There's a reason backpackers and budget travelers go to Thailand vs Japan--becasuse it's cheap.

I hear the mayor of Tijuana Mexico made the same request--he still can't figure out why only 18 year old party goers visit his city.

Psssst...(becuase it's a sh_t hole).

True. The cost of the flight here from NA & Europe is expensive. But plenty of guys on low wages make it here. And when you realize that an *ehem* rental costs 10k baht in farangland for just one shot they are way out ahead after just a couple days in the LOS.

I think this isn't their target high end tourist.

In a March 2013 statement to the National News Bureau of Thailand, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra urged the TAT to attract more “high-end visitors

Unfortunately your country is not 'high-end', dear, and neither are you. You just have money; class is an entirely different animal which is likely beyond your reach.

It sounds like they have it all wrong. They should be focusing on _middle class_ tourists and not rich tourists. The truly rich are generally value takers. They already have well connected rich friends within the country who will comp them just for the business and social connections. The middle class are the ones who spend tons of money on kitsch and "tourist" experiences. However, the problem here is that Thailand has limited middle class appeal. Bangkok is no New York or London when it comes to cultural impact. Phuket is no South Beach or Riviera. There are no decent theme parks, icons, etc.. which make people immediately fascinated with Thailand at the global level.

Thailand's most famous cultural export is the food, ladyboys, and cheap sex with above average looking women the bulk of the real spenders are hard up young men with permanent stiff ones looking to relieve the pressure. This is not going to change anytime soon. If you take out what makes Thailand special at the moment you are looking at the possibility of no tourists at all.