Funds sent from UK to Thailand not arrived

Hi,

Sent around 5000usd from my bank in UK to my SCB account in Bangkok, this was 2 weeks ago and as today no money arrived yet so started with visiting my SCB branch where they told me no funds arrived and that the transaction must have been rejected. Been sending over funds for 5 years to this account from UK, Finland and Hong Kong, never had any problems before now. After getting home called the bank in UK that confirmed money has been sent and no problem there?!

Anyone had similar issues when sending over funds? Shouldn't take 2 weeks should it?

TA

Hi,

Sent around 5000usd from my bank in UK to my SCB account in Bangkok, this was 2 weeks ago and as today no money arrived yet so started with visiting my SCB branch where they told me no funds arrived and that the transaction must have been rejected. Been sending over funds for 5 years to this account from UK, Finland and Hong Kong, never had any problems before now. After getting home called the bank in UK that confirmed money has been sent and no problem there?!

Anyone had similar issues when sending over funds? Shouldn't take 2 weeks should it?

TA

. You should be very worried and be getting the paperwork that shows a transfer has taken place and why it hasn't transferred.
  • Like 1

As Allalong said, you should be worried.

Last week I rang my UK bank for 5,000 pounds to be sent over, they said it would take two days (and there was no charge!).

Went to the bank last Friday to update my passbook and the money was there, no problems.

You do have to make sure that all details on the transfer - name, account, branch, etc. - are absolutely correct AND that there is a reason given for the transfer,

otherwise the Thai bank will hold it for a while and then send it back to the originating bank.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with Lloyds Bank a couple of years ago due to an incorrect account number. The money goes into limbo but Lloyds bank put a trace on it and it was returned to my account after a few days. They did say at the time that it could take up to 2 weeks to find the money. It should be the responsibility of the sending bank to locate the funds.

With international transfers the funds don't normally go straight from A to B but often through an intermediary, with Lloyds it's a bank in New York so the money could be stuck there.

• Like 2

Something definetly wrong. I usually send by internet banking and they always say allow 5 working days for the receiving account to be credited. The average is 2 working days so far.

2 weeks indicates a clear problem. Looks like incorrect account details or failing to complete the reason for transfer. If the former it usually takes 14 working days for the money to be returned to the sending bank unless you request a trace. You did this via phone banking so you don't know what was actually on the transfer the bank inputed. Talk to your UK bank.

2 days max.

Unless holidays.....THE opportunity to hold on for a week (%) then transfer to your account.

"lost" money should be solved by the supplier.......you hold the pressure on them.

In 1 case, several years back SCB took 6 months to return money to my bank account in NL

kee[ up the pressure, don't be passive...its your money.

I had a similar problem with Lloyds Bank a couple of years ago due to an incorrect account number. The money goes into limbo but Lloyds bank put a trace on it and it was returned to my account after a few days. They did say at the time that it could take up to 2 weeks to find the money. It should be the responsibility of the sending bank to locate the funds.

With international transfers the funds don't normally go straight from A to B but often through an intermediary, with Lloyds it's a bank in New York so the money could be stuck there.

Something similar happened to me several years ago for quite a bit of money, was in limbo for about 3 weeks, only the originating bank could locate and re-call it, Thai banks could do nothing.

My fault though, wrong digit!!!

phone your bank in the uk.and ask them for the reference no.then go back to scb.if you cant get an answer from uk.who done the trans.in the uk.get them to send you a copy,scan or fax.

phone your bank in the uk.and ask them for the reference no.then go back to scb.if you cant get an answer from uk.who done the trans.in the uk.get them to send you a copy,scan or fax.

your bank has to provide something like this:

OUTGOING.MSG.DETS ABC SG PRODUCTION 24 JUL 13

Page 1

Area DEPARTMENT : PRIVATE BANKING No. 3000

Printed at 24 JUL 2013 11:09:46

To DEPARTMENT : PRIVATE BANKING SGZ

OUTGOING SWIFTMESSAGE TO :DEUTDEFF

DELIVERY ID:D20130722000716223503.MESSAGE TYPE : 103

CUSTOMER CREDIT TRANSFER

DATE TIME SENT:20130722 17:17:29 CARRIER SEQ : 291783

TRANSACTION REF : FT1320350031

{1:F01EFGBSGSGAXXX.SN...ISN.}{2:I103DEUTDEFFXXXXN}{3:

{108:xxxxx}}{4:

:20: Sender's Reference FT1320350031

:23B: Bank Operation Code CRED

:32A: Value Date, Currency, Amount 130724EUR31095,34

:33B: Currency, Instructed Amount EUR31095,34

:50F: Ordering Customer /SG5887560651307

1/W.F.H,, A. K. H.

2/XXXXXXXXXXXXX MOO9,

2/NONGPRUE,

3/TH/BANGLAMUNG CHONBURI 20260

:57A: 'Account With' Bank DEUTDEDBMUC

:59: Beneficiary Customer

/DE53700700240151698800

LEANFLEX GMBH

:70: Details of Payment

RECHNUNGS-NR: 80014927

KONTO-NUMBER: 1099

:71A: Details of Charges OUR

-}

This once happened to me, the SWIFT money transfer from the UK was held in limbo at Bangkok because.......................

I did not declare what the cash was for! e.g. living expense/ medical expenses/ buying property etc. and the Kasikorn Bank could not contact me.

Just a call back to the UK bank fixed it.

I haven't forgotten ever since.smile.png

remember the 80's sorry sir money not come 10-14days but mr bank manager i have a ref.no that you sent to the sending bank that you had recieved it.just a minute i go and check,ohhhh just arrived.does this still go on.

sometimes it gets stuck in a black hole in the banks here. You need the copies of transfers from the sender and go to the headquarter. Takes about half an hour to get it right into the account then. Otherwise they must have sent it back as soon it has arrived.

Edited by wealth

I had a similar thing sending money from Australia to the BKB. After 5 days I went to the bank & enquired. Was told to wait as it can take up to 3 weeks, so I waited.

After that time I asked again & was referred to the international branch in BKK. They did a search & told me it had been rejected because although I had the branch number correct I had not also put the branch number as part of the account number.

Went back to the Aus bank & they more or less wiped their hands of it.

Contacted the BKB international again and got a transaction # & was told it had been sent back to the Bank of America in BKK.

Contacted them & they said it had been sent back to Bank of America in Sanfrancisco.

I contacted my bank again & gave them the information & they recovered the money.

Next time it went through in 2 days.

The moral of the story is: Banks do not give a tinker's curse wherever they are.

The people in BKB could have fixed it if they had half a brain. They had all the info including my name & contact details.

The sending bank should have been able to trace it if they wanted to.

Bank of America were happy for the money to lie in their account for ever without taking action.

... when did they send it back, after you made a visit to the bank's international division? This is crucial for fact finding ...

Years ago transferred around 10k pound to a bank in England from a bank in Holland

Never arrived.

Contacted the bank in Holland, supplied me with all relevant proof of transfer.

The bank in England, sorry sir, never received, don't know anything

Never got the money back.

Probably fell in the Northsea.

• Like 1

I had a friend complain that SCB had sat on the funds in Bangkok and for some reason didn't send it on to the regional branch.

No way should it take 2 weeks..... it should be next day!

... takes a minute at the headquarter when you speak with the top managers.

It happened twice to me many years ago.

The sending bank should be able to provide tracing documentation more substantial than " no problem here." That documentation could then be used by SCB.

I oftem transfer funds, both from Europe to Asia, as Asia-Asia and within EC, my experience is funds always arrived within 2 -3 days Max. Transfer here also arrive on SCB, no problems so far. Further, personal, experience showed many times , international transfers happen quicker than transfer within EC.

Many times money arrives next day, as within EC it may go up to 3 days, not including WE or holidays.

but in any event there is a tracebility as Suradit69 says. and banks like to hang , delay transfer, in order to play with exchange rate, unfortunately YOU don't get any profit from this.

Bestaluck with it

Years ago transferred around 10k pound to a bank in England from a bank in Holland

Never arrived.

Contacted the bank in Holland, supplied me with all relevant proof of transfer.

The bank in England, sorry sir, never received, don't know anything

Never got the money back.

Probably fell in the Northsea.

WHAT???????????????????????????????????????

post-4641-1156693976.gif1zgarz5.gif

• Like 2

Be concerned, but don't panic!

It should be easy enough to sort out, but you may need to get past the girls on the counter first.

Start with printed evidence of the transfer from the UK, check every digit carefully of the account number and the bank code BIC,SWIFT or whatever.

Remember, don't panic and stay calm when dealing with the Thai bank, it will get resolved it just may take a few days.

• Like 1

As Allalong said, you should be worried.

Last week I rang my UK bank for 5,000 pounds to be sent over, they said it would take two days (and there was no charge!).

Went to the bank last Friday to update my passbook and the money was there, no problems.

You do have to make sure that all details on the transfer - name, account, branch, etc. - are absolutely correct AND that there is a reason given for the transfer,

otherwise the Thai bank will hold it for a while and then send it back to the originating bank.

No charge from the UK bank....... please which bank? Sounds unbelievable! I am going to the UK in 3 days and will open an account with this bank if you let me know the name of bank and the name of the account. Much appreciated.

• Like 2

I use internet banking

Cash transfer route

UK bank ---------- Bangkok Bank(London) -----------Bangkok Bank(BKK) ------------Local Bangkok Bank branch

Money arrives within 24 hours

Never experienced any problems.

Actually, the original poster mentions clearly that he usually has no problems.

Obviously more than 99% of transactions are fuss free. I know you mean well but he DOES NOT want to hear about how it always works out OK for you!

He wants advice on what to do when it goes wrong.

• Like 1

The first place you should be looking is your UK account , whether the money has been sent .

I always have a reference number to check that the money has been sent or it's whereabouts .

Sending money from the UK to your bank in Thailand is not without some regulation .

I have had rare occasions when the money has not been sent . I hope you get it sorted .

Edited by metisdead
Unnecessary usage of bold font removed.

My ex in UK job at a bank was sorting this stuff out. you would be surprised how often it happens. It's up to your bank to chase THEIR payment to LOS, you paid for the transaction. My ex did end up at times phoning around the world to banks. Sometimes it was her banks fault cos of a wrong keyboard digit pressed .

I use internet banking

Cash transfer route

UK bank ---------- Bangkok Bank(London) -----------Bangkok Bank(BKK) ------------Local Bangkok Bank branch

Money arrives within 24 hours

Never experienced any problems.

Actually, the original poster mentions clearly that he usually has no problems.

Obviously more than 99% of transactions are fuss free. I know you mean well but he DOES NOT want to hear about how it always works out OK for you!

He wants advice on what to do when it goes wrong.

Do you think you just gave him some advice or do you limit yourself to analysing phrases and words?

• Like 1