Need an advice from guys living in Isaan

PATSTAN

Anywhere in Isaan is a good place to live, depending on what you want.

e.g. If you want other farang to talk to, then stick to the cities, particularly Udon/Khon Kaen. If you enjoy being made to feel "special" by the Isaan people, and are not too fussed with seeing other farang, then then more rural you live, the more special they'll make you feel. Although you want fast reasonably reliable internet, then don't go too rural lol.

Another outdated piece of advice.

There are absolutely loads of westerners living in and around Buriram and Surin. Loads and loads and loads.

Great true 3g coverage.(if going rural).

I would imagine that the cost of living is cheaper too.

True, sometimes too many farangs !!! LOL!

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a lady in Buriram - (mid 40's, schoolteacher,...) When I retired in 2008, I moved from San Francisco to Buriram. After 1 1/2 years, I realized that I had just been played for the bigges fool in the world - (Walking ATM machine!) so I moved to Bangkok. The family, the neighbors, the co-workers the whole town - all know that farangs are filthy rich and fair game to cheat, swindle, steal, extort,.. from.

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience but don't take it out on Issaan. There are loads of us on this forumwho would seriously dispute your extrapolative deductionssmile.png

So far... cheesy.gif

Sorry. Couldn't resist. tongue.png

• Like 1

Had a lady in Buriram - (mid 40's, schoolteacher,...) When I retired in 2008, I moved from San Francisco to Buriram. After 1 1/2 years, I realized that I had just been played for the bigges fool in the world - (Walking ATM machine!) so I moved to Bangkok. The family, the neighbors, the co-workers the whole town - all know that farangs are filthy rich and fair game to cheat, swindle, steal, extort,.. from.

filthy rich.........i wish,and it took you a year and a half,just aswell your super rich eh........thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Why Buriram in particular?

As he said, initially it was just because of a lady, I would suggest.

Same with me and I would reconsider if alone.

I wonder how many would consider it - as a first port of call - if they were on their own.

You and I benefit from knowing the area and how things work. This experience enables someone to live up here alone - I am not sure I would have been ready when I first landed on these shores.

Agree and as a single person (again), I seriously considered elsewhere after calling Isaan (or In-sane) home for over 7 years.

Where else????

Let's face it. Issan is no longer the "out in the sticks" sort of place. There are places that can be but there is no longer the yearning to find someone who speaks English. As you said on your next post "there are sometimes too many westerners"

Issan was my first port of call. A long time ago when there really was nothing. I remember bumping into the same 4 guys every now and then. That was it. No supermarkets or western food, cooked and ready to eat that is. There was always the market where you can buy your own fresh produce and improvise. I remember making liver and bacon using pork belly that I had salted for a day.

For various reasons I left Issan and travelled around a bit. Still came back. It is great here. Absolutely no pressure to do anything or to keep up with anyone. The mix of different things to do, or not, is perfect for me.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys, any idea where is the best pla

Havnt you been there to decide for yourself yet? Me I like Khon kaen. Best city in Thailand. Cleanest for sure. At least there you have everything a city can offer. I get bored even on holidays living in the rural villages. You need to go see and decide for yourself.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Havnt you been there to decide for yourself yet? Me I like Khon kaen. Best city in Thailand. Cleanest for sure. At least there you have everything a city can offer. I get bored even on holidays living in the rural villages. You need to go see and decide for yourself.

Probably one of the best answers.

KK probably the best city in Issan IMHO.

Whats drawing the OP to Buriram, some lady, a job, something he read on a website, has the OP ever been to Thailand, is he just looking for a cheap place to retire?

So much information missing that only the OP can answer.

As has already been mentioned, if there was no lady involved it sure wouldnt be the first choice for most, better places to be found.

Best place for what?

What do you want from living there, make up a list of your needs, post them and await the opinions/advice of guys who are there or know the place.

• Like 2

You might like places like Sisaket. Or Ubon Ratchathani, Khon kaen, Nong Kai, Nakhon Phanom, or Roi Et.

Most of foreigners I've met settled down in Isaan because of their wives coming from that area,including me.

Honestly, I do not think that too many foreigners in a provincial capital city do socialize very much with others. There's no difference to other, more civilized countries. Foreigners already living here are mostly living in their own little world.

Speaking the same language doesn't make friends.You'll find out that there's so much hate. Gossip about others on daily basis is "normal." Nobody looks in the mirror to see his/her mistakes.

Pretty hard to have Thai friends as well. You'll need a long time to find out what's going on around you. If you don't have "enough" money to buy some guys a drink, they'll call you Kee Nok.

Everything is much easier, if you do speak Thai. People see you with different eyes and they appreciate a 'chat' with a foreigner. That could lead to a friendship.

You won't have the chance to find a girl who's not in the bar business if you don't speak Thai. There're many woman who'd love to stay with a foreigner, and not for financial reasons.

But the language barrier would make it impossible for her and you.

I'd reckon to plan a longer trip to Isaan and make up your mind. Set up your tent where you feel at home. Good luck.-wai2.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Absolute crap.

• Like 1

You might like places like Sisaket. Or Ubon Ratchathani, Khon kaen, Nong Kai, Nakhon Phanom, or Roi Et.

Most of foreigners I've met settled down in Isaan because of their wives coming from that area,including me.

Honestly, I do not think that too many foreigners in a provincial capital city do socialize very much with others. There's no difference to other, more civilized countries. Foreigners already living here are mostly living in their own little world.

Speaking the same language doesn't make friends.You'll find out that there's so much hate. Gossip about others on daily basis is "normal." Nobody looks in the mirror to see his/her mistakes.

Pretty hard to have Thai friends as well. You'll need a long time to find out what's going on around you. If you don't have "enough" money to buy some guys a drink, they'll call you Kee Nok.

Everything is much easier, if you do speak Thai. People see you with different eyes and they appreciate a 'chat' with a foreigner. That could lead to a friendship.

You won't have the chance to find a girl who's not in the bar business if you don't speak Thai. There're many woman who'd love to stay with a foreigner, and not for financial reasons.

I'd reckon to plan a longer trip to Isaan and make up your mind. Set up your tent where you feel at home. Good luck.-Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Absolute crap.

Agreed, absolute Tosh!

For the OP. Take the girl you are corresponding with to a different part of Thailand first, for a year. Try CM, or go South to the Islands. Then make your decision about where to live in Issan. The very best of luck to you..... You are gonna need it.

Also try to get a copy of Private Dancer by Stephen Leather. A shortened version is free online in his website. Compulsory reading before you pass through immigration!

• Like 1

Agreed, absolute Tosh!

For the OP. Take the girl you are corresponding with to a different part of Thailand first, for a year. Try CM, or go South to the Islands. Then make your decision about where to live in Issan. The very best of luck to you..... You are gonna need it.

Also try to get a copy of Private Dancer by Stephen Leather. A shortened version is free online in his website. Compulsory reading before you pass through immigration!

and 'Thailand Fever'. That's a good read too

• Like 2

I'd reckon to plan a longer trip to Isaan and make up your mind. Set up your tent where you feel at home. Good luck.-Posted Image

That's strange, I know of quite a few farangs who did not and still cannot speak Thai,who have met and then gone on to marry

Girls who have never been bar girls or in the sex industry. Yet I do know of many farangs who can speak and in some instances read Thai,who do live and marry such girls, mind you some of them are unaware of their ladies previous occupation.

• Like 1

Observations: 

1. The small readily available one-room apartments in Isaan do not have kitchens as everyone with those units just buys the street food.....

Do you really need a full kitchen? An electric bowl-style cooker with steamer attachment can be bought for under 800 baht as a good rice cooker. A portable gas cooker with tank under 2000 baht. While a separate room is desirable, you can "make" your own kitchen, especially if you have a balcony/deck or just a small open space in the room.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

Observations:

1. The small readily available one-room apartments in Isaan do not have kitchens as everyone with those units just buys the street food.....

Do you really need a full kitchen? An electric bowl-style cooker with steamer attachment can be bought for under 800 baht as a good rice cooker. A portable gas cooker with tank under 2000 baht. While a separate room is desirable, you can "make" your own kitchen, especially if you have a balcony/deck or just a small open space in the room.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

A propane tank in a single room apartment? Not likely allowed. Electrical appliances? maybe allowed if there is a separate electricity charge. However, with these chock-a-block units even if you are out on the balcony the smells will waft into the neighbors open balcony window and you may receive their complaints via the manager.

Stan,

I agree with Isaan lawyer post. BUT you did not give us much information about yourself so you are getting many different answers. Things like how old are you? Do you need to work to support yourself? Do you want nightlife (girls, music, movie, etc.)? What do like to do to past the free time, golf, bowl, etc.?

I am retire and married to a lovely Thai lady and have lived in a few places and traveled to many in my 10 years living in Thailand. I like Korat and am truly happy and miss nothing from the USA where I am from. Actually, Korat is growing by leaps and bounds and has become the second largest city in Thailand. So there are many expats living here.

Good luck in whatever you decide. And try to remember to make decisions with your brain that's above the belt and not the one below your belt. smile.png

rokit

• Like 2

I'd reckon to plan a longer trip to Isaan and make up your mind. Set up your tent where you feel at home. Good luck.-wai2.gif

One of the best posts I have read on TV in a long time. It sums it all up in a "nutshell" as far as "how things ARE for a Farang". (Reality).

As opposed to "how things SHOULD be for a Farang" (the rose colored glasses syndrome.)

Cheers.

Stan,

I agree with Isaan lawyer post. BUT you did not give us much information about yourself so you are getting many different answers. Things like how old are you? Do you need to work to support yourself? Do you want nightlife (girls, music, movie, etc.)? What do like to do to past the free time, golf, bowl, etc.?

I am retire and married to a lovely Thai lady and have lived in a few places and traveled to many in my 10 years living in Thailand. I like Korat and am truly happy and miss nothing from the USA where I am from. Actually, Korat is growing by leaps and bounds and has become the second largest city in Thailand. So there are many expats living here.

Good luck in whatever you decide. And try to remember to make decisions with your brain that's above the belt and not the one below your belt. Posted Image

rokit

Had always thought that the one below the belt is just a mindless one-eyed monster :P

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience but don't take it out on Issaan. There are loads of us on this forumwho would seriously dispute your extrapolative deductionssmile.png

there are good and there are bad experiences.

some hearthwarming, and some infuriating.

that is for me.

but i sincerely believe one who says never been ripped off by a repairman, overcharged, handled without respect him or his partner, that plainly lies, or havent been here long enough!

it isnt only Issan inparticular, but whole Thailand...however Issan isnt expection at all.

farang with money tree is a fixed idea of many here!

best to be realistic about that.

and if something to the point, my now 11 yrs old son start to come to realise these, and start to feel strong about it toward the thai for their double standards toward his father :)

so, no worries, in a few years things will turn some, as he wont let the things slip my wife still does :)

on the other hand, Issan, especially out on the sticks are very quiet, relaxed life, on a low(ish) budget, especially on a small farm we live. fresh air, no village megaphone in the morning, and lots of headache driving on the dirt roads in the rainy season.

but hey, 10km away in the small town a new Tesco Express opened, so, civilization is knocking, now i just need a decent net, and an upgrade to gravel road, and set for the next few years!

• Like 1

Probably one of the best answers.

KK probably the best city in Issan IMHO.

Whats drawing the OP to Buriram, some lady, a job, something he read on a website, has the OP ever been to Thailand, is he just looking for a cheap place to retire?

So much information missing that only the OP can answer.

As has already been mentioned, if there was no lady involved it sure wouldnt be the first choice for most, better places to be found.

Best place for what?

What do you want from living there, make up a list of your needs, post them and await the opinions/advice of guys who are there or know the place.

I'd put 20 baht on its a lady.

Try this, look on YouTube and type in house for sale Buriram, think it's that anyway. I'm on my phone so can't give the link. There's a lovely house for sale think it's about 1.9million baht? The owner gives a full guided tour of it and his details to buy. Worth the look just to see what you can get.

I live in a village 8km outside Sarakham. It is very ok for me. If you go far up in the north east like around Nakhon Phanom you will soon discover that hardly no one speaks any english, not that it is so widely spoken here either. If you start out in one of bigger cites like Khon Kaen or Korat it will be better for you imo. But anywhere in Isaan is good i think. You should try living in thai village a while, i consider that very close to paradise, but then thats me.

Try this, look on YouTube and type in house for sale Buriram, think it's that anyway. I'm on my phone so can't give the link. There's a lovely house for sale think it's about 1.9million baht? The owner gives a full guided tour of it and his details to buy. Worth the look just to see what you can get.

The phrase " don't put your cart before your Horse" springs to mind. The OP is a newbie and hardly ready to consider investing on something in somebody elses name. Mind u if it a desperate sale, maybe a "steal" might be available.

You really should plan a loooooooooong holiday here and have a good look around. I think most towns in Isaan are all very different. Ubon now has change a lot since I have been here and zillions of $ are being spent to transform the place. Everywhere I go building is going on, whether business or residential. I know folk who have set up shop in the sticks and after a couple of years hate it, of course there are many that like that sort of life. Bit like going on holiday for two weeks doing something different but when you get back home a smile comes to your face being nice to be back home.

I personally could not live in a soi, at close quarters with folk whom I might have a problem of some sort, noise, barking dogs all day, even car parking probs. Lot's of things to think about.

Like "transam", it is wise to know your soi in advance. We got a home in a new addition as the sixth street was going in. When we came back to Mukdahan six months later to move in, a Thai who had hit a big lottery jackpot moved in across the street in a house that was "saved" for the developer. The newly rich guy brought all his family, mostly drunkards and loud music. It took two years to convince him to live in one of his other places.

My wife is Thai and has family about 50km away, and that is really a bit close....bah.gif but all our other Thai neighbors are really great and we even have several American families as well. We do like Mukdahan on the Mekong River with Savannakhet across the river bridge to Laos. An airport is going in about 50km south in Leong Nok Tha.

You can rent really good large homes with kitchens here for around B5,000. Not many bars which is good for us, but perhaps not for OP.

Come to Wang Chai village!

Its somewhere between Roi-Et and Mahasarakham and a bit south. Wapipathum district.

There are NO farang there.

I am allways the only farang there when we visit. As far as food goes it is all Issan.

Tin shack shop as well. I spend plenty of time there watching the world go by while sipping a bia Leo with ice.

Just the odd motorbike or Kubota going past to give the chickens something to worry about.

Nobody speaks English and they talk in Issan (Lao) unless they have to speak Thai.

I have even been to a funeral where the body was burned out on the rice field.

It has its good side though. We are allways well respected by the people and they have never asked me for money. Not once.

I think these places can grow on you but I could never live there. The odd holiday is fine.

Each to there own.

PS: was trying to reply to post from "Puchooy- Lets face it, Issan is no longer out in the sticks.

Edited by Vegemite

Come to Wang Chai village!

Its somewhere between Roi-Et and Mahasarakham and a bit south. Wapipathum district.

There are NO farang there.

I am allways the only farang there when we visit. As far as food goes it is all Issan.

Tin shack shop as well. I spend plenty of time there watching the world go by while sipping a bia Leo with ice.

Just the odd motorbike or Kubota going past to give the chickens something to worry about.

Nobody speaks English and they talk in Issan (Lao) unless they have to speak Thai.

I have even been to a funeral where the body was burned out on the rice field.

It has its good side though. We are allways well respected by the people and they have never asked me for money. Not once.

I think these places can grow on you but I could never live there. The odd holiday is fine.

Each to there own.

PS: was trying to reply to post from "Puchooy- Lets face it, Issan is no longer out in the sticks.

So you dont live there then, only visit.

Is that right?