Why does Hong Kong have a real Apple store but Bangkok doesn't?

hermespan

And it's not just Thailand. Vancouver, Canada has several but Singapore has zero. What is this southeast Asian bottomless pit of no service? It can't be due to a lack of customers, Mac is very popular in Singapore. And it is a wealthy technically advanced nation. What is the cause of this strange discrepancy? Is it the same with Sony? I believe it must have something to do with licensing issues but I have no idea how.

It might have something to do with all the knock-offs that are made in SE Asia or In China (that make their way into Thailand). Perhaps they're afraid that unscrupulous vendors will sell knock-offs at the what appear to be legitimate Apple stores, thereby damaging the global reputation of Apple.

That would be a strange business strategy, running away if competition is offering an inferior cheaper product. If I was selling widgets and someone was selling for a third of the price a shoddy approximation, all the more reason to be there, so customers see the difference. And, it's not that Apple products are not sold in Thailand, just that they aren't being sold not by Apple-owned stores.

That would be a strange business strategy, running away if competition is offering an inferior cheaper product. If I was selling widgets and someone was selling for a third of the price a shoddy approximation, all the more reason to be there, so customers see the difference. And, it's not that Apple products are not sold in Thailand, just that they aren't being sold not by Apple-owned stores.

I don't think we're talking about the exact same thing. I'm talking about knock-offs that are made to look and function like real Apple products but are made with inferior components (and there's a great variation in the quality of things like transistors, capacitor, diodes, etc). They are sold as genuine Apple products by the Apple franchisee. If that happened and and the story became viral, it could damage the confidence in Apple products, especially here in Thailand.

Where do you have to go to get full Apple service?

Malaysia?

Vietnam?

India?

What do you mean? Repairs? Have a search through the Apple forum if you need warranty repairs done in Thailand. Nearest one to Pattaya, as an example is in Chonburi.

• Like 1

As far as i know, the only real licensee is MCC.

But they never open a store.

They are arround easy 10 Years already. And pretty much destroyed the reputation of apple products with prices far beyond imagination for repairs and/or services.

Then the wannabe istores came along (but they do only move boxes)

By now mcc does fix apples (if you have aprotection plan)

As for myself, i trust some locals like unlimitmac or the micro-istore (pink color) in fortune.

Pay litte but get good results.

Much better as the hazzle with peoples have no idea what they sell an how things do actually work.

• Like 1

Has a lot to do with direct foreign investment rules of the country, actually.

For now, if you want an apple store, go HKG or Japan.[/quot

Please explain in detail what you mean and what individuals or groups might be behind such a policy.

Someone asked why I want a real Apple store. It is so, as in Vancouver, Hong Kong or Tokyo I can walk in and be given free service (problem solving, instructions, even mini courses) that is supposed to come with buying such an expensive product. It has always bugged me that instead of post-sale customer service one usually has to struggle along with peer forums. True, one can call in for 90 (?) days of telephone help, and longer is one bought Apple Care Plus, and what with Skype physical location foes not mean much, but I am old fashioned and I like brick and mortar service.

Apple has publicly said that they have a slightly different growth strategies for regions like India and Southeast Asia. And they are going to push for the "Premium Resellers" model for now.

I think it's only the matter of time. Starting a new retail business in a new country is not as difficult. But when you take into account the nature of "full service" Apple has within their own stores, things get complicated as parts have to be ordered in and then there's another dimension of logistics management. I'm sure Apple wants to be 100% ready first before launching.

As far as I concern, I think regardless of the nature of the market it is only best for Apple to open their own official Apple Stores in as many countries as possible. At the very least they would want to open a single flagship store to show their brand presence in that market. Hong Kong and Australia suffered from similar fate to Thailand, until in 2007 where Apple started to act. Apple like vertical supply management control and they would want to control what customers experience in their retail stores.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it has something to do with how companies need to be legally "setup". It is possible that Apple cannot comply / not happy / unwilling to comply with business compliance in these countries. It gets very complicated, both legally and logistically, so it would be easier for Apple to just find "partners" in these ASEAN countries to sell their products and services.

Nothing to do with fakes or knock-offs.

While there is no Apple Store in Thailand, there are many, many Apple-authorized stores ... esp. in BKK ... that sell and service Apple products. Plus there's an official on-line Apple Store in Thailand that is in English.

I never have a problem with buying and servicing any of my Apple products here in Thailand ... including Macs, iPhones, iPads, Cinema Displays, Apple TV, etc.

if you were moving to Thailand and if you have the choice, would you buy all your Apple stuff at "home" or pick it up in Thailand?

I buy my high-priced Apple products in USA, because they are cheaper there. But if I really need something promptly ... and it's not too expensive, like a cable, or mouse ... then I buy in Thailand.

Actually I'll soon buy the new Thunderbolt Cinema Display here in BKK ... even though I'll pay an extra $200, because I need it now and can't wait until I return to USA in two months.

I live in Thailand about 7 or 8 months per year.

I repeat what I said before .... you can, indeed, buy from many Apple "authorized" dealer in Thailand. Not an Apple Store per se, but one that is fully authorized by Apple to sell Apple products ... and some that are also Apple authorized to repair Apple products.

No, you don't have a genius bar, but I've been able to get advise, help and hand-holding ... at the store which I frequently visit and purchase from.

Edited by HerbalEd

if you were moving to Thailand and if you have the choice, would you buy all your Apple stuff at "home" or pick it up in Thailand?

I buy my high-priced Apple products in USA, because they are cheaper there. But if I really need something promptly ... and it's not too expensive, like a cable, or mouse ... then I buy in Thailand.

Actually I'll soon buy the new Thunderbolt Cinema Display here in BKK ... even though I'll pay an extra $200, because I need it now and can't wait until I return to USA in two months.

I live in Thailand about 7 or 8 months per year.

I repeat what I said before .... you can, indeed, buy from many Apple "authorized" dealer in Thailand. Not an Apple Store per se, but one that is fully authorized by Apple to sell Apple products ... and some that are also Apple authorized to repair Apple products.

No, you don't have a genius bar, but I've been able to get advise, help and hand-holding ... at the store which I frequently visit and purchase from.

Actually, if you figure in CA sales tax, many Apple products are actually cheaper here.

• Like 1

Wait for the refresh - imminent.

HK - Cheapest place in world for Apple products.

If you buy the display from Apple and have it shipped to your home in California, it would cost:

$999 X 31.5 X 1.08 = THB 33.986

If you buy the display from Apple and have it shipped to your home in Thailand, it would cost:

THB 33,900 (that’s a couple dollars less)

If you were able to buy it in the US without having to pay any sales tax, and carried it back here, it would cost THB 31,470, so you would only save about $77, assuming of course you did not get pinched at customs, and that it was not damages by the ramp-apes…

• 3 weeks later...

The price and genuineness of Apple products sold in the 'Authorised Resellers' is fine. What is decidedly not fine - in fact it's atrocious - is the after sales service. (And I can speak from experience in Chiangmai). Atrocious both technically and in its linguistically-challenged, ill-mannered (non-)delivery. I keep my fingers crossed that any problems with my four Apple devices (all bought here and all still under warranty or extended Applecare) will occur only during the 2 months or so I spend in Europe.

Edited by triffid