PM Yingluck won't go to Koh Samet

webfact

PM won't go to Koh Samet
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said that she would prefer to stay in Bangkok than go to Koh Samet, after returning from the overseas trip to Africa.

Arriving in Bangkok, she said the situation in Koh Samet is returning to normal, referring to the reports from Energy Minister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal. She noted that right now, all parties involved are busy plotting the rehabilitation plan, under the close coordination between the Energy and Interior ministries.

She said that once the facts involving the crude oil leak are available, the authorities would devise policies to prevent reoccurrence in the long term.

A group of anti-government protesters plan to stage a rally in Bangkok this weekend despite the enforcement of the Internal Security Act.

Deputy Prime Minister Niwatthumrong Boonsongpaisan also revealed that the situation on the island has been improving, with help from the government sector, the private sector and the general public. He noted that the prime minister has been closely monitoring the situation while she was in Africa, with full concern in the Thai tourism image.

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday visited Ao Phrao in Koh Samet. Accompanied by some Democrat MPs, he was seen conversing with local residents and executives of PTT Group. He urged the government to review precautionary measures and estabish a system to properly handle the rehabilitation process, to restore public confidence.

Bowon Vongsinudom, president of PTT Global Chemical, said today that the oil slick cleanup has continued. Over 10 tonnes of cleanup-related waste have been shipped out of the island. He insisted that the cleanup would be completed within 1-2 days.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-02

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see the Democrats taking an interest in the environment. Doesn't Thailand have an environment ministry? I highly doubt the energy ministry will be about to properly clean up their mess. I assume they have environmental officers on staff who know how to carry out ecological monitoring to investigate the recovery process.

• Like 1

"Over 10 tonnes of cleanup-related waste have been shipped out of the island"

Out where?

They have already said they will burn it at high temperature to avoid air pollution.

Also seem to remember it being said that they would take it to one of their refineries.

Don't know if that would be in Thailand or not.

"Over 10 tonnes of cleanup-related waste have been shipped out of the island"

Out where?

They have already said they will burn it at high temperature to avoid air pollution.

Also seem to remember it being said that they would take it to one of their refineries.

Don't know if that would be in Thailand or not.

Ah. Saraburi cement kiln.

• Like 1

Nice to see the Democrats taking an interest in the environment. Doesn't Thailand have an environment ministry? I highly doubt the energy ministry will be about to properly clean up their mess. I assume they have environmental officers on staff who know how to carry out ecological monitoring to investigate the recovery process.

Hardly. Why didn't the Democrats stiffen the liability laws and regulations concerning pipelines like the on that leaked when they were in office? The Democrats have the same position as PTP and they both reflect the attitude of Thais on the environment. They do not care enough to protect the environment.

The PM said she would not visit the island at this time with good reason. In Thailand, when a dignitary visits, all attention turns to the dignitary. Her visit would be disruptive and would take away from the cleanup efforts. A political PR faux pas because she misses an opportunity to offer empty promises, platitudes and to pose for photos looking concerned like Abhisit. However, the only ministers that should be visiting are those tasked with the cleanup and the local economy.

• Like 2

Look we have top people working on this and I have a karaoke evening to go to so if there is nothing else. right then I am off! Karoake is far fun than squelching about on a slippy beach, I could slip up and that would never do/

IF she were to turn up the same detractors would make accusations of a PR stunt taking the Photo Opportunity.

I'm not a Yingluck follower, but it seems that some look for the worst in every situation.

Time and money are better spent continuing on with the cleanup and relying on her advisors. On the face of it this appears to be a fairly common sense approach that has risen above the opportunity for a PR stunt.