Border Run with Work Permit?

WP allows you to work, it does not change visa conditions.

You will not have to do border run once your non b expire, you will then apply for extension of stay based on work.

Once you have extension , then you only need to report every 90 days

correct mr lemoncake wai2.gif

To answer the question correctly, once the work permit has been issued the holder needs to take it (with copies of the same paperwork given to the labour department by the employer) to the local immigration office who, will then change the date in the passport to match the expiry date in the work permit! Very simple proceedure

This is not correct, since if the OP has a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant Category 'B' Visa (issued by Thai Consular facilities in other countries), then the visa expiry date/entry stamp is never locked to the WP expiry date, or for that matter to thaving a Work Permit per se.
You're partly correct, if however he wishes to avoid border runs he just needs to take it and the documents to an immigration office where THEY will change it to the work permit date. On the other hand don't go and join the long visa run queue!

Unless you are going to work as a teacher you will not get a B visa unless you have already applied for work permit at any nearby consulate or embassy.

Applying as a teacher you STILL need to have a job first in order to get a Non B - amongst the documents required to get the visa are: education certificates, contract and letter of appointment from school and the visa fee. I you don't have these documents and just turn up saying that you want to be a "teacher" they will refuse you!

Immigration may, if qualified, extend stay using a TM.7 and payment of 1,900 baht, They do not just change your permitted to stay date without formal extension of stay application/payment and qualification.

But an extension has different rules than the visa. For example, if you extend because you have a job (work permit) and then lose your job, your extension of stay is now instantly disqualified. You have 7 days to find a new reason to extend (and reapply and get approved for the new extension reason) or leave the country.

Thats kinda incorrect.

If your employment is with a BOI company than yes you have 7 days,if it is not a BOI company you have 24 hours.

• Like 1

You will not have to do border run once your non b expire, you will then apply for extension of stay based on work.

Alternatively (if eligible) you immediatly get an extension based on employment then you do not have to do border runs and instead 90 day reporting, if employment is terminated whilst the orginal Non B visa is still valid you revert back to it as it is not cancelled when the extension is given.

Alternatively (if eligible) you immediatly get an extension based on employment then you do not have to do border runs and instead 90 day reporting, if employment is terminated whilst the orginal Non B visa is still valid you revert back to it as it is not cancelled when the extension is given.

Not really sure how that works when your visa is not yet expired. If you get an extension at the of 90 days, then the original non b would be cancelled as I do not believe its possible to run 2 visa's at the same time. Ie if you do not do border run, the non b is invalid and you now in breach.

Not really sure how that works when your visa is not yet expired. If you get an extension at the of 90 days, then the original non b would be cancelled as I do not believe its possible to run 2 visa's at the same time. Ie if you do not do border run, the non b is invalid and you now in breach.

Here's a clue for you, one is called a permission to stay extension and the other a visa and you do not need to do visa border runs whilst you are doing extension reporting's.

Edited by Spoonman

It you are here on an extension of stay and the reason ends the extension ends and you must leave or apply for a new extension. You do not revert to anything. But if you have a valid multi entry visa you can use that for a new entry.

• Like 1

Look at the date in your passport. What does it say?coffee1.gif

Read the OP again. His question is;

Now I have a valid Work Permit, do I still have to cross the border every 3 months or so?

Now, what has the date in his passport have to do with that?

Even it is was relevant, WHAT date? A passport is full of bloody dates!

Because 999999 times out of a million an employer would also apply for an extension at the same time as getting a work permit.

The date, the only relevant date in a passport when talking about visa runs, is the last one.

Asking if a Work permit negates the need for border runs suggests a very low level of understanding of how things work and thus a look at his passport would, as of now, led him to realise that he is passed the "permission to stay date".

All very relevant.

I will be doing a visit in one week to a nearby countries Thai consulate to get a 'B' visa. Like OP, I already have a valid work WP but was told by both Imm officers and work colleagues that a 90 days TM47 is the only reporting needed, after I get my 'B' visa.

Is this correct as this thread has now thrown a few doubts in my mind.

You will likely only get a single B in a neighbouring country. So when you get back you will only have ninety days. You will then need to extend based on employment. After that you only have to do 90 day reports at immigration.

Aren't you on an extension already? You mentioned before that you did a 90 day report last week. Why not get a new extension?

It you are here on an extension of stay and the reason ends the extension ends and you must leave or apply for a new extension. You do not revert to anything. But if you have a valid multi entry visa you can use that for a new entry.

Ok, if this is true, then i take back what i said about some of the disadvantages of having extension of stay. If you can have BOTH

1) 1 year Non imm multi entry visa, and

2) 1 year extension of stay

concurrently without conflict, then it might not be a bad idea. A little redundant, but you save on the visa runs with extension, plus you have an additional safety net to remain in country in case things dont work out with your employer.

Previously, i thought it was only one or the other.

I'm used to people wanting only one or the other.

I do have q: can work permit be issued on an O, ED, or any other category visa besides B?

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

Edited by 4evermaat

Ok, if this is true, then i take back what i said about some of the disadvantages of having extension of stay. If you can have BOTH

1) 1 year Non imm multi entry visa, and

2) 1 year extension of stay

concurrently without conflict, then it might not be a bad idea. A little redundant, but you save on the visa runs with extension, plus you have an additional safety net to remain in country in case things dont work out with your employer.

Previously, i thought it was only one or the other.

I'm used to people wanting only one or the other.

I do have q: can work permit be issued on an O, ED, or any other category visa besides B?

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

Don't know about ED visa type and work permit, but definitely you can have a work permit with a NON-O visa

When you enter the country, you get a stamp that says you are allowed to remain in the kingdom until a certain date. At that date, you either have to leave the country OR have an extension of stay stamped into your passport. Assuming that you opt for the extension (and have all the paperwork), you are now good to stay for, say, a year. (You have to report every 90 days if you don't leave the country.)

You will want to get a re-entry permit if you do intend to leave. What happens otherwise is that when you leave the country and re-enter on your still existing multiple-entry visa, your extension of stay is automatically cancelled (because you didn't have a re-entry permit), so you have to do that again.

On the other hand, once you have the extension of stay and get the re-entry permit, they will indeed cancel your visa. Unfortunately, you can't have both.

As for the visa type, I understand that the law says you need a non-immigrant visa to get the work permit, and it does not specify what type. I had an ED visa and flew out to get a B visa, and was told that wasn't necessary. I understand the only exception is the Oa type (retirement visa) under which you cannot get a work permit.

I forgot to answer your original question: Do you have to do a border run if you have a work permit?

Well, the work permit is not automatically a permit to stay. The work permit is issued by the Labour Department, the permit to stay by Immigration. Funny enough, you can have a permission to work but not a permission to stay. Oh, and then I met this European who had a permit to stay (based on marriage) and filed his yearly income tax (and got a refund when appropriate) but did not have a work permit. Welcome to Thailand, the land of disconnected Ministries and Departments.

To answer your question, you can apply for an extension of stay (beyond the date stamped into your passport when you entered the country) based on employment IF your salary is at least the amount required for your nationality, AND the company hands in all the relevant documents. I did that for over 20 years and never had to do a border run.

Edited by onthemoon

I will be doing a visit in one week to a nearby countries Thai consulate to get a 'B' visa. Like OP, I already have a valid work WP but was told by both Imm officers and work colleagues that a 90 days TM47 is the only reporting needed, after I get my 'B' visa.

Is this correct as this thread has now thrown a few doubts in my mind.

You will likely only get a single B in a neighbouring country. So when you get back you will only have ninety days. You will then need to extend based on employment. After that you only have to do 90 day reports at immigration.

Aren't you on an extension already? You mentioned before that you did a 90 day report last week. Why not get a new extension?

You are quite correct puchy. I got a WP with a retirement extension but Immigration say that cannot be repeated, so a 'B' is the way to go in their opinion.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Edited by DILLIGAD

Thats exactly what i thought, but Spoonman seems to be saying that if extension finish, can just go back to Non B, which as you said is not possible

i have work-permit and visa, i do not go border run every 3 month, i just go to the immigration office and get a stamp for confirm my address here in Thailand,

or my H&R office do it for me every 3 month.. i just need to show my face out there 1 a year

Actually you are not currently using visa but are here on an extension of stay from immigration if doing address reports every 90 days. Those on visa entry are only allowed 90 days stay on non immigrant B entry and then must either depart of a new entry or extend there stay at immigration. To extend requires paperwork/income/TM.7/fee of 1,900 baht and not all employment will qualify for this.

Thats exactly what i thought, but Spoonman seems to be saying that if extension finish, can just go back to Non B, which as you said is not possible

I may have worded my reply incorrectly but Lopburi has confirmed what I was saying.

Somewhat not what the OP was about but pertinent to a comment earlier. If your visa is tied to a work permit , then you could be asked to show it at the border for a stamp run, rare to be asked but possible, and within the rules -I would take it.