Classic car import?

Lysdexic

I've seen accounts of high costs for bringing your car to Thailand, but my question is a little different.

I have a 1963 Studebaker that I love, it has no significant value to anyone but me and another Studebaker aficionado. How do they figure tax/duty on something that has little or no 'book' value?

Daytona.jpg

Nice Car, Looks like a 61 to 63 Daytona, if it has the 302 cu in Supercharged motor and 4 speed it is worth plenty, quite Rare especially in Australia. They work out the price based on the New Purchase Price in the Country of Manufacture and go from there. But my advice is to forget trying to bring it here, it would be a nightmare plus it would not have the value it has in Australia or the US once it was here. it's a shame i know, but they have no appreciation of these old Rockets.

the condition of the vehicle after 10 or 20 years, not sure which, I BELIEVE this is the factor. your car looks to be in very good condition. All restored so they may consider it to be like a new car. Maybe $30k-$50 USD? just a guess.

Everyone at first considers buying a used car, fixing it up, and shipping it to Thailand. I wanted to build a old CJ 5 Jeep and ship it over, but the import duties are so extreme it made no sense.

Nice Car, Looks like a 61 to 63 Daytona, if it has the 302 cu in Supercharged motor and 4 speed it is worth plenty, quite Rare especially in Australia. They work out the price based on the New Purchase Price in the Country of Manufacture and go from there. But my advice is to forget trying to bring it here, it would be a nightmare plus it would not have the value it has in Australia or the US once it was here. it's a shame i know, but they have no appreciation of these old Rockets.

My guess is it's a 60 or 61 Lark. In Oz we didn't get the 2 door, but the front end is same as Lark.

It is not possible to import 2nd hand cars at all at the moment. Not sure when or if it ever will be again. That is unless you are a Thai national student returning from overseas and you owned it for over 18 months. Then you may import it duty free.

Edited by jmccarty

You are not allowed to import a car without having the proper documentation and licenses. Regarding the taxes and duties. customs will usually value the car according to what it will sell on the market today.

You should talk to an expert in this field who is handling imports for cars. I know that Fair & Easy is handling quite a lot of imports. Specialized cars as well as for private use. You might want to talk to them. They would be able to assist you in applying the licenses as well. If you do not have the appropriate license the cars will be most likely seized by customs on arrival.

Thanks for all the replies - it's a 63 Daytona (Lark) with the original 259 V8 and Powerglide auto trans. Undated with disk brakes all round and lovingly restored over the past 6 years. Not worth a lot here, maybe $15K tops as Studes never really caught on with the collector crowd.

My guess is it's a 60 or 61 Lark. In Oz we didn't get the 2 door, but the front end is same as Lark.

Yes Australia did have some 2 Door Daytonas, in fact Bert Needham, the Distributor for Stude in Sydney actually Died while tuning his 302 Supercharged Daytona. The story was that he was changing the Blower to 12lb boost to drag race an E-Type Jag and while leaning over the engine and reving it the Fan flew off and hit him in the head and i was told in stuck in the old wooden ceiling. He was a good old guy and i knew him from when i was a teenager as i had a 62 Lark Station Wagon with a 259 in it, which i eventually sold to him and he took it to his farm. It was his cars that raced at Bathurst in the early 60's which ran well but had problems with wheels breaking as i remember. I'd say that probably his son may still have the car today if he is still kicking.