thai/french steak

meatboy

as a lover of steak back in the uk.you always had a good choice of top quality meat,

devon long horn,angus and of course hereford blacks,all priced around £12-£15 a kilo.

i have never tried wagyu[too expensive for me] but occasionally i have had ausi here at around 1,000bht a kilo.mostly i like the steak from tops when i can get someone to get it for me[tops opening in korat shortly].yesterday i fancied some ausi steak so the wf.went along to the mall[home fresh] sorry no have cannot sell to much money staff replied,but we have

thai/french.so i told the wf.get 2x12oz steaks.is it me or are they having a laugh at our expence, 1,190bht a kilo that in gbp=£25.do anybody pay that much for thai-french.

I have been a regular customer of the Thai-French Beef Coop. ever since I discovered them about 8 or 9 years ago... But I usually make the 2+ hour drive from my home to Sakon Nakhom and buy from their processing facilities directly from the sourse, so to speak... Has always been realtively expensive, but always superior quality and flavor.. If my memory serves me correctly, the last Filet's I purchased there were priced around 1,000 baht per kilo, which is way below the cost of the same cuts in the US, and the grade of meat is better than most stores in the US even carry... Most of the finest grades are only sold to Expensive Resturants and 5 Star Hotels... Excellent T-Bones, Rib Eyes and Sirloins as well and you can have them cut exactly how thick you want them...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

I have been a regular customer of the Thai-French Beef Coop. ever since I discovered them about 8 or 9 years ago... But I usually make the 2+ hour drive from my home to Sakon Nakhom and buy from their processing facilities directly from the sourse, so to speak... Has always been realtively expensive, but always superior quality and flavor.. If my memory serves me correctly, the last Filet's I purchased there were priced around 1,000 baht per kilo, which is way below the cost of the same cuts in the US, and the grade of meat is better than most stores in the US even carry... Most of the finest grades are only sold to Expensive Resturants and 5 Star Hotels... Excellent T-Bones, Rib Eyes and Sirloins as well and you can have them cut exactly how thick you want them...

Pianoman

thanks pm.i did look at their website but never got to ordering,the pon-yang-kham beef co-op

has quite a few outlets i think rangsit bkk.is the nearest 3hrs.away and i do little driving on these rds.immigration 20klm.thats enough for me.i will ring them and see if they will put an order on the bus,i have coffee and jam from chiang mai sent down this way.i am not a lover of fillet as it has no fat,but sirloin and rib eye yes please.as i said i have been eating steak from tops first was back in 1986 bought in ratchada when i lived with the wf.not expensive but ok.so something a bit more superior is what i need[rib eye and sirlion]around 700bht a kilo.

as a lover of steak back in the uk.you always had a good choice of top quality meat,

devon long horn,angus and of course hereford blacks,all priced around £12-£15 a kilo.

I think you're rather out of date with your prices in the UK. Ordinary sirloin is £19/kg, fillet is £29/kg. Aberdeen Angus sirloin is £24/kg. (All prices from Tesco website.)

There's not much reason to expect prices in Thailand to be cheaper than the UK. Labour is only a small part of the production costs. Feedstuffs are a global commodity, with global pricing. Plus there's less demand for beef in Thailand than the UK so you'd expect a somewhat higher price.

I think you're rather out of date with your prices in the UK. Ordinary sirloin is £19/kg, fillet is £29/kg. Aberdeen Angus sirloin is £24/kg. (All prices from Tesco website.)

There's not much reason to expect prices in Thailand to be cheaper than the UK. Labour is only a small part of the production costs. Feedstuffs are a global commodity, with global pricing. Plus there's less demand for beef in Thailand than the UK so you'd expect a somewhat higher price.

yep i am out slightly but have a look at YERBESTON GATE FARM SHOP its the home of the welsh black beef up there with the best tasting beef in the world.i used to have all my meat from them there is no comparison with

hereford blacks and thai/french but you will see the price is the same.

i dont know what i was getting from tops but it is less than half the price they wanted yesterday at the mall.i got some coming from the pon-yang-khram co-op next weekend.

they should take a leef out of australia's beef program,they already have the angus breed but they have been trying to cross breed with old english devon longhorn after yrs and yrs fine foods butcher richard gunner has bred 16,down side wont be ready for 5yrs.

I regularly shop at The Mall in Korat and yes, that is the price for Pom-Yam-Kram or Thai French beef. You mention Tops opening in Korat soon, do you have any details, such as when and where? Many thanks.

I regularly shop at The Mall in Korat and yes, that is the price for Pom-Yam-Kram or Thai French beef. You mention Tops opening in Korat soon, do you have any details, such as when and where? Many thanks.

if you google thai-french beef,click on pon-yang-khram marbled beef you can see all their products and a price list,the wf.is going to phone them today.

as for tops coming to korat we heard a rumour about a yr.ago after global house opened,last week we were told the foundations are in and should be 9months before opening.

the store will be near the court on the by-pass[jo-ho]area.

Hi Meatboy, I like your moniker, very appropriate for the subject in question. Many thanks for the information. Two downsides to Pom-Yang-Khram, if my information is correct. 1.There is a notice in Villa Market, Pattaya that all PYK beef is Halal or Muslim Killed, a cruel and unnecessary practice as far as I am concerned, stunning the animal is not permitted according to MK procedures. 2. All there meat seems to turn up frozen, at The Mall in any case and is then thawed out for the meat counter. Not good if you want to refreeze. additionally there is no mention on their Website, in English anyway, of the beef being hunh for 28 days although the butcher at The Mall meat counter stated that it is. I usually age it again for 10 to 14 days and it is still fresh so I doubt the 28 days ageing. Australian beef always seem to be aged.

Hi Meatboy, I like your moniker, very appropriate for the subject in question. Many thanks for the information. Two downsides to Pom-Yang-Khram, if my information is correct. 1.There is a notice in Villa Market, Pattaya that all PYK beef is Halal or Muslim Killed, a cruel and unnecessary practice as far as I am concerned, stunning the animal is not permitted according to MK procedures. 2. All there meat seems to turn up frozen, at The Mall in any case and is then thawed out for the meat counter. Not good if you want to refreeze. additionally there is no mention on their Website, in English anyway, of the beef being hunh for 28 days although the butcher at The Mall meat counter stated that it is. I usually age it again for 10 to 14 days and it is still fresh so I doubt the 28 days ageing. Australian beef always seem to be aged.

yes the frozen meat thats being sold as fresh is a bit concerning,i have posted many times about it,we use a lot of chicken for ourselves and our dog so far we have not been ill after re-freezing it.the wf.who used to be a cater-ing supervisor in the uk.and holds 3 hygeine certificates told them in the mall you must let people know its been frozen they just shrug their shoulders.so much for all their signs about healthy eating at healthy prices.she has just ordered 7kilo's from the pon-yang-khram outlet in rangsit bkk.we are lucky her sister is there on fri/sat.she ordered it in large pcs.so we can cut it ourseves.we will have to see how it comes.as long as it taste's good that will do for me.i used to work in a 5* inn that used to advertise that all their beef had been hung for 21days[bs]nobody knew the difference if it had or hadnt.

yes the frozen meat thats being sold as fresh is a bit concerning,i have posted many times about it,we use a lot of chicken for ourselves and our dog so far we have not been ill after re-freezing it.the wf.who used to be a cater-ing supervisor in the uk.and holds 3 hygeine certificates told them in the mall you must let people know its been frozen they just shrug their shoulders.so much for all their signs about healthy eating at healthy prices.she has just ordered 7kilo's from the pon-yang-khram outlet in rangsit bkk.we are lucky her sister is there on fri/sat.she ordered it in large pcs.so we can cut it ourseves.we will have to see how it comes.as long as it taste's good that will do for me.i used to work in a 5* inn that used to advertise that all their beef had been hung for 21days[bs]nobody knew the difference if it had or hadnt.

Hi again Meatboy. You wife is quite correct; they should advise if meat has previously been frozen but trying to explain here in Thailand is a waste of breath. The just do not understand the reasoning. I also have a supervisor’s Hygiene certificate. Although I am a Chartered Engineer by profession I semi-retired and went into Pubs, Restaurants and finally a small hotel so at the beginning I thought that I had better learn the theory of Hygiene and attended the course, part time for 3 months. It certainly paid off as the Health Inspectors were less critical when they could see that the place was clean, food stored correctly etc and you knew what you were talking about. Also I was able to train new comers into the trade instead of sending them on a Basic Hygiene course so over the years I saved much more than my course cost me. Regarding your chicken providing you are careful with refreezing and fully cook on thawing there should be no problem with refreezing but it can be dangerous if freezing already contaminated products hence the warning for those that are not aware. Regarding aged beef I am sure you would know the difference in a blind taste test. In my first restaurant the whole sirloin I purchased was very tough when a steak was cut off. The company representative came out and inspected the meat, did the finger test, and said that it was not aged and most likely someone at the end of their shift put it at the front instead of at the back and next day I received it. He got me to sign my name several times on the fat and he signed as well and he said he would bring it back in about 4 weeks, and if it was not good it was free, which he did. It was as different as chalk and cheese so I had to pay. However we had a meal together in my restaurant using two sirloins we cut off, with a good bottle of wine and he paid so it was almost a free sirloin in any case. The finger test is try to push your fore finger into the end of the beef and see if it goes in easily and makes a hole, if so then it is aged. If you cannot push in your finger or it is hard to do so then it is not aged. I am a firm believer in ageing beef to enhance flavor and to make it tender. I hope you meat from Bangkok is good

hi bill

i tried the finger test with the mrs.very tender and sweet to the bone.

she was very strict on hygiene,she had to be it was in a top hospital.

she did return some food in one of those fast food places in the mall that was still frozen in the middle that was 3yrs ago we have never eaten in any of them since,only in the food hall btm.floor.i will post how the beef tastes,looking forward to it.

hi bill

i tried the finger test with the mrs.very tender and sweet to the bone.

she was very strict on hygiene,she had to be it was in a top hospital.

she did return some food in one of those fast food places in the mall that was still frozen in the middle that was 3yrs ago we have never eaten in any of them since,only in the food hall btm.floor.i will post how the beef tastes,looking forward to it.

Very Good.smile.png I was thinking when I mentioned "The Finger Test" I would get some comments. Looking forward to your 'report' on the beef from Bangkok! Best Regards, Bill

I have been getting my beef from Surin Wagyu. Their Thai raised Wagyu beef comes frozen but is very good quality. They have a couple of outlets here in Surin and also some in Bangkok. The steaks I got from them were about 800 baht/kilo.

anymore info joe.i dont mind if its frozen as long as the steaks are a decent size,

[gutsy boyo]10-12oz.and some fat.

I have been getting my beef from Surin Wagyu. Their Thai raised Wagyu beef comes frozen but is very good quality. They have a couple of outlets here in Surin and also some in Bangkok. The steaks I got from them were about 800 baht/kilo.

anymore info joe.i dont mind if its frozen as long as the steaks are a decent size,

[gutsy boyo]10-12oz.and some fat.

They were not quite that big. They average about 250-270 grams (about 9 oz.). Nice marbling.

http://www.surinwagyu.com/th/main/index.php

hi bill got my beef on sat.2.5kilo's striploin,2.2kilo's rib eye,2.3kilo's chuck and 2.5kilo

of what they call sirloin/rump[looked like pinbone to me.

had some striploin yesterday it was the best i have had in thailand,the wf.loved it and my beloved dog to.

the sirloin/rump was only 370bht.a kilo but it fried rearly well,so it should roast,made a masman curry with some of it loverly,cant wait for it to mature[tues]

i will pm.you with the details.

oh the chuck and the sirloin/rump came fresh and the steak frozen which after a while was easy to cut,i have a good set of knives.

..Wagyu at Villa in Udon......220 baht per 100 grams =2200 baht kg

I use buy beef from Thai French, but it is 100+ kms from me. There is a place on hwy 12 towards Mukdahan called the Nong Sung Meat Company. They pretty well copied Thai French and their meat is just as good and I think maybe a little cheaper. It is just North East of Nong Sung on the right hand side of the road across from the Bangchak Petro Station.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app