Ex-monk 'ready to fight allegations in US'

Lite Beer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an empty gesture. If he is so adamant of his righteousness come back and stand your ground, oh pious one. Otherwise run like the wind as I am sure that several of those who you were washing their illgotten gains would prefer your demise.

“An offense shall be an extraditable offense for prosecution or for the imposition of a penalty or detention order only if it is punishable under the laws of both Contracting Parties by imprisonment or other form of detention for a period of more than one year or by any greater punishment.”

The USA probably will not extradite the monk nor imprison him because it is unclear that both Contracting Parties have the same laws. Considering other more serious issues the US has with Thailand (Tier #2 status in human trafficking) cooperation to extradite him will not happen.

The statutory rape charge is alleged and over 10 years old. I doubt it will carry any water.

I doubt extraditopn too. The fact remains that he has no passport and hence can go nowhere until he can get one. If he cannot maybe he becomes an ilegal immigrant and that is what he will have to fight in court. He is unlikely though to get asylum on polical grounds.

Statutory rape is against state laws in USA.... I could see the monk hopping from state to state one step ahead of the law. Those states would have bigger fish to fry anyway, and not put lots of effort into sending him back to face the music. Maybe he would be violating some fed law about flight to avoid prosecution in moving from state to state.... but again, he is not so high on the "to do" list. Maybe if he could be linked with some terrorist group......

I doubt extraditopn too. The fact remains that he has no passport and hence can go nowhere until he can get one. If he cannot maybe he becomes an ilegal immigrant and that is what he will have to fight in court. He is unlikely though to get asylum on polical grounds.

I'm no expert on extradition and / or prisoner transfers, but I am quite certain that the Thai government can issue all the papers he will ever need to travel whenever they feel like it.

Edited by Trembly

If the Thai police dont get this scumbag back here to face the music very soon, than there is people higher up in the system involved. And that would not come as a suprise to anyone. I dont think i can let my kids grow up in this country any longer. It is so full of corruption, scams, untrustworthy politicians and police. I have to make a choice soon because this country is not any longer the land of smiles that i once moved to spend my last years in. Its become a pile of shit from the bottom to the top, and getting worse by the day. The people i have learned to love over the years unfortunatly have nothing to say, elections are a farce and that we all know. Money rules.

Sadly, I have arrived at the same conclusion. I cannot let my children grow up in a society that encourages and accepts that corruption is an acceptable system. Children are taught to accept this from an early age. I have chosen another country with excellent education standards, I just need to find the right property now. We will keep the house here in Thailand for long holidays and the MIL can come and go with us as she pleases. My escape route is planned.

On a different note, I am unsure how many people have ever been extradited from the USA. I am sure that no US citizens have ever been extradited and if they have it is less than a handful. Of course plenty have been extradited TO the USA. I find it remarkable that the defence of the monk is that his statutory rape charge should be dropped as it was more than 10 years ago. That hasn't stopped the UK authorities locking people up for more minor sexual offences carried out 40 years ago. To top it all this guy is still wearing his robes. I imagine he will be on the Bill O'Reilly show soon, all the US is missing is a celeb Buddhist and they have the full pack.

• Like 1

If the Thai police dont get this scumbag back here to face the music very soon, than there is people higher up in the system involved. And that would not come as a suprise to anyone. I dont think i can let my kids grow up in this country any longer. It is so full of corruption, scams, untrustworthy politicians and police. I have to make a choice soon because this country is not any longer the land of smiles that i once moved to spend my last years in. Its become a pile of shit from the bottom to the top, and getting worse by the day. The people i have learned to love over the years unfortunatly have nothing to say, elections are a farce and that we all know. Money rules.

Sadly, I have arrived at the same conclusion. I cannot let my children grow up in a society that encourages and accepts that corruption is an acceptable system. Children are taught to accept this from an early age. I have chosen another country with excellent education standards, I just need to find the right property now. We will keep the house here in Thailand for long holidays and the MIL can come and go with us as she pleases. My escape route is planned.

On a different note, I am unsure how many people have ever been extradited from the USA. I am sure that no US citizens have ever been extradited and if they have it is less than a handful. Of course plenty have been extradited TO the USA. I find it remarkable that the defence of the monk is that his statutory rape charge should be dropped as it was more than 10 years ago. That hasn't stopped the UK authorities locking people up for more minor sexual offences carried out 40 years ago. To top it all this guy is still wearing his robes. I imagine he will be on the Bill O'Reilly show soon, all the US is missing is a celeb Buddhist and they have the full pack.

Thailand & US have Statute of Limitations. For Thailand ten years for rape cases, don't know if US applies the statute to rape cases. UK does not have any Statute of Limitations legislation

Edited by simple1

As soon as the paperwork is done, that guy is going to be back here in handcuffs - drop the soap time!

I don't agree. He's got such a load of money (which the Thai authorities kindly allowed him to abscond with), that US authorities won't inconvenience him. US allowed Thaksin to visit recently, while simultaneously refused entry to hundreds of would-be visitors who weren't rich. As mentioned earlier, most of his offences relate to him being a monk - which won't carry any weight in the US court system.

I am assuming he wants to fight thai charges from the US, since he does not yet face any charges in the US. It is quite convenient to fight criminal cases while abroad. If you win, everything is fine and you can go home, if you lose you just don't go home, but stay abroad. This is probably why few if any countries accept this practise :-)

Edited by monkeycountry

I believe that he can fight extradition, but at this point, he is fleeing prosecution, not persecution.

Unless there is a lot being unsaid about his situation, I don't think he has a good case for asylum. It could, however, be a slow process of getting him sent back.

Hopefully some of our legal eagles will drop by and provide some insight into the legalities of his situation.

Lots of good points and I'm certainly confused as to what's actually happening. For starters, his passport may have been revoked but has a request for extradition been presented to the US ?

I heard on television some years back that in the US lawyers specalising in immigration cases get more work than any others and with the money he's supposed to have stashed he can afford the best.

One thing is certain...the lawyers always get rich....

• Like 1

He only knew him for a short time but knows none of it is true.

Um, lol. Is he able to enlighten us on whose jet it is then? And as to why he'd be concerned at all about the rape charges if, as we've heard previously, they're not true?

The Jet is a leased aircraft, and will more than likely be repossessed back in the USA since doesn't have any more Moneylock.gif.pagespeed.ce.HUpoQX69cx.gif

• Like 1

He promised to come back & fight the charges, not that I ever thought he would, then his passport was revoked so he could not go anywhere. The usual comedy of errors or a cunning plan to protect someone higher up who was involved & reaping some of the ill gotten gains.

The Honorary Consulate offices in the states are not very connected, my Thai friend thought he lost his passport and applied for another one in LA, it was issued in a day, he found his old passport with the US Visa in it, used that to get back to Thailand and now has two passports............The Monk will most likely get another passport, one way or another. If he has Money, anything can be done...........as for political asylum, Forget it - Thailand has helped us capture/Kill dozens of bad guys, if asked - the US will extradite...........thumbsup.gif

You know...he REALLY things he has a credible story to tell.

Knowing this surreal attitude is common practice in Thailand, I sometimes wonder if there are any 'normal' functioning people left.

If life circles a mindset instead of facts ,how long will it takes before the bubble bursts?

This is 2013- no more hiding places, social media, smartphones, hidden cameras,........I fear the worst.

I believe that he can fight extradition, but at this point, he is fleeing prosecution, not persecution.

Unless there is a lot being unsaid about his situation, I don't think he has a good case for asylum. It could, however, be a slow process of getting him sent back.

Hopefully some of our legal eagles will drop by and provide some insight into the legalities of his situation.

But a Jail Cell is waiting for him anyway whistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Thailand

May 17, 1991

December 30, 1922 December 14, 1983

March 24, 1924 TIAS

43 Stat. 1749

Should Thailand decide to apply for an Extradition order,the Treaty with America is long established.

But a Jail Cell is waiting for him anyway whistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

What jail cell??? His lazy behind has been white washed all the way, are you kidding me....

You can wait forever

Ex-monk Nen Kham to surrender Thursday: DSI chief
By English News |

13756860054630-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 5 - The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief said disgraced ex-monk Nen Kham will return to Thailand and surrender to the department August 8.

DSI director-general Tharit Pengdit said Mr Sukit Poolkasemsri, the lawyer of defrocked monk Wiraphon Sukphon, formerly known as Luang Pu Nen Kham, has contacted him to arrange for the surrender of his client.

He said the time for the surrender is not yet confirmed.

The ex-monk is wanted by Thai authorities to face charges of alleged violation of the Computer Crime Act and for the statutory rape of an underage girl. He was reportedly in the United States for a while and then left the country to an unknown location.

Mr Sukit has urged three conditions for his client's surrender that the ex-monk will surrender directly to the DSI chief, the department must guarantee fair treatment for him, and he should be granted a temporary release.

Mr Tharit said the requests are DSI's normal treatment for suspects who surrender by themselves. The temporary release depends on appropriate bond and the level of the charges.

He added that the accused must not threaten witnesses and is banned from leaving the country.

Mr Tharit said he has been informed that the controversial ex-monk is now residing in a neighbouring country. He could possibly enter Thailand by two channels -- by air travel at Suvarnabhumi Airport and over land by roads via border pass. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-08-05