Which pets are legal in Thailand?

I´m thinking about getting a family pet.

We cant have a dog where we live, and the wife arent to fond of cats.

I would prefer a pet that could be kept outside in a big cage or vouliere, and hopefully something a bit more exciting than a hamster or rabbit, any suggestions?

It would probably be easy to buy all sorts of exotic animals, but how do I find out, which ones are actually legal to keep?

If your wife doesnt like cats why should she like rabbits ? Anyway, rabbits belong in the wild or either in a zoo or in a pan, not animals to keep as pets, or they escape all the time or you need to lock them up which is also not nice.

Hamsters and guineepigs are stupid, then better take a volière with parakeets. They are very talkative and at least bring some cosyness with their conversations all day long. Better put a lock on the cage door because Thai kids like to open them.

Or change your wife and take a cat, I would probably choose this option.

If your wife doesnt like cats why should she like rabbits ? Anyway, rabbits belong in the wild or either in a zoo or in a pan, not animals to keep as pets, or they escape all the time or you need to lock them up which is also not nice.

Hamsters and guineepigs are stupid, then better take a volière with parakeets. They are very talkative and at least bring some cosyness with their conversations all day long. Better put a lock on the cage door because Thai kids like to open them.

Sorry to show my ignorance, but why do rabbits belong in the wild or the zoo? I thought that many breeds have been bred specifically as pets so that their temperament is suitable for a home setting and they would not do so well in the wild. (Don't forget: even chihuahuas are the result of human-managed 'breeding programmes' ... basically modified wolves, even if some look more akin to rats :-) .)

Caution buying birds. They can bring sickness into your home from where you bought them. PLUS they can be very noisy. I bought a pair of parakeets last year and they would not shut up all day long. And they are early risers. I gave them away.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Do not post using overly large font.

I think you need to answer a few questions that might help you decide:
What is the purpose of the pet ? Do we want to interact with it or simply watch it ?
Do we want the pet inside the house or outside ?
Do we have arrangements to look after the pet when we are away from the house ?

Has the pet got to be safe with children.

Hope this helps

Rabbits are best in a stew or pie. Hint of garlic, creamy sauce, suspicion of freshly ground black pepper. Mmmmmmm

Sorry to show my ignorance, but why do rabbits belong in the wild or the zoo? I thought that many breeds have been bred specifically as pets so that their temperament is suitable for a home setting and they would not do so well in the wild. (Don't forget: even chihuahuas are the result of human-managed 'breeding programmes' ... basically modified wolves, even if some look more akin to rats :-) .)

Rabbit were bred for food - the Romans were responsible to spreading them over Europe as they carried them with the legions to feed the soldiers (because they bred so fast). Britain and France spread them around the world after that.

I think it is too hot to keep them out doors here though - unless a special run with lots of shade (burrows) is used. In a hutch their little brains will boil - I accidently killed my kids hamsters like this (put them on the balcony while I was sorting out after moving - not in direct sunlight of course - they all dies in less than 30 minutes of being out there! - kids were over the moon as you can guess :().

I always wanted an anteater - there are captive bred ones that are not endangerred (Tamandua Tetradactyla) - see here for example http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/p/anteater-faq.html - thought they would be great for this country and keep the house clean of ants into the bargain - as they are South American, they have evolved to cope with the heat too - but can't seem to get them here.

I have seen Sugar Gliders, Squirrels, hedgehogs (we had a hedgehog, pygmy one - they only last about 2 years or so though), rats and monkeys for sale - all apparently legal. I think the law is that it is illegal to keep any native wild animal without a license and proper paperwork and imported animals must not be CITES listed unless likewise licensed.

Personally, I would avoid the gliders and squirrels - they don't do well in captivity and need a lot of space - hedgehogs can be good, but also must be indoors (they die very easily though - overeating is a big cause as is repertory problems because pet shops insist in putting them in sawdust which is very bad for them).

How about lizard or snake - do they have to be cuddly mammals? Large parrot types are often happy to live in doors or in an aviary - small birds I think this is cruel unless there are plenty of them together and a large aviary is employed. FIsh is another option.

• Like 1

If I had the room Id get an Argentine Black and White Tegu.

When I lived in the UK a guy near by had a large Savannah Monitor Lizard (it had been found being smuggled into the UK in someone's luggage - and he was some kind of expert so had a license to care for it). He used to take it for a walk when it was nice weather - it plodded beside him on a cat leash - they walk quite fast surprisingly all four foot something of him - people used to change road sides when they saw it coming :D. Think I'd join you on the large lizard (with the same caveat) :D

I think you need to answer a few questions that might help you decide:

What is the purpose of the pet ? Do we want to interact with it or simply watch it ?

Do we want the pet inside the house or outside ?

Do we have arrangements to look after the pet when we are away from the house ?

Has the pet got to be safe with children.

Hope this helps

Im looking for a pet that I can interact with, and safe for children. Preferably to be kept outside. I have somebody to look after the pet when Im gone.

These things were "decided" before I made the post, but was primarily looking for a list or link of legal pets, as well as ideas for what other kept as pets.

I had marmosets (legally) back home, and they were absolutely amazing pets. i would love to keep them down here in a big outside voliere.

Rabbit were bred for food - the Romans were responsible to spreading them over Europe as they carried them with the legions to feed the soldiers (because they bred so fast). Britain and France spread them around the world after that.

I think it is too hot to keep them out doors here though - unless a special run with lots of shade (burrows) is used. In a hutch their little brains will boil - I accidently killed my kids hamsters like this (put them on the balcony while I was sorting out after moving - not in direct sunlight of course - they all dies in less than 30 minutes of being out there! - kids were over the moon as you can guess sad.png).

I always wanted an anteater - there are captive bred ones that are not endangerred (Tamandua Tetradactyla) - see here for example http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/p/anteater-faq.html - thought they would be great for this country and keep the house clean of ants into the bargain - as they are South American, they have evolved to cope with the heat too - but can't seem to get them here.

I have seen Sugar Gliders, Squirrels, hedgehogs (we had a hedgehog, pygmy one - they only last about 2 years or so though), rats and monkeys for sale - all apparently legal. I think the law is that it is illegal to keep any native wild animal without a license and proper paperwork and imported animals must not be CITES listed unless likewise licensed.

Personally, I would avoid the gliders and squirrels - they don't do well in captivity and need a lot of space - hedgehogs can be good, but also must be indoors (they die very easily though - overeating is a big cause as is repertory problems because pet shops insist in putting them in sawdust which is very bad for them).

How about lizard or snake - do they have to be cuddly mammals? Large parrot types are often happy to live in doors or in an aviary - small birds I think this is cruel unless there are plenty of them together and a large aviary is employed. FIsh is another option.

As the Romans were large grain eaters did they invent rabbit pie ?

On topic, my daughter raised rats, gentle and intelligent. Won't bite like those nasty-tempered hamsters.

Off, large grain... would that be corn? Or were they large Romans eating run of the mill (so to speak) grain?

On topic, my daughter raised rats, gentle and intelligent. Won't bite like those nasty-tempered hamsters.

Off, large grain... would that be corn? Or were they large Romans eating run of the mill (so to speak) grain?

Egypt was called the stomach of Rome - corn and wheat were grown in the fertile delta basin. Romans also ate a lot of fish, adding fermented fish to almost everything - just like northern Thais smile.png

Rabbits are self populating, easy to keep, and will eat veg cut offs - and easy to transport (and unlike corn could be used to feed the dogs that Romans took as front line berserkers too). Problem is they are also escape artists.

My sister also raised rats when I was a kid - they are intelligent and fun - but stink!

Edited by wolf5370

I'd dig a moat and try my hand at raising crocs.

Highly valued for their meat & skin and doesn't hurt to deter thieves!

If that flops, follow me! I have 2 falcons, both highly loyal and don't

eat anything outside our family members hands

(very unlikely to get poisoned)

Seriously, if you don't want a pet that is going to be a part of your family then don't get one. They are a real commitment and can end up being a pain in the arse. To keep a poor animal in a cage in your yard just so you can occasionaly look at it is jut not fair on the animal and can border on cruelty.

All pets are dependant on you and you have to clean, feed and exercise them. Many need companionship of either the animal or human type.

Perhaps you should consider a hobby rather than a pet. Maybe stamp collecting. When you have finished looking at the stamps you can just cage them in a draw.

• Like 1