Best Indian in Pattaya?

mcyachty

I don't know the Indian Chimney, but the Golden Chimney on Pattaya Tai by the Shell station is excellent 4 star ambiance with reasonable prices for Pattaya Indian food and the chef is imported from India not local "Tai Indian" like so many others. 

So YOU are the only person I have seen in there eating.......from outside I would put the ambience at 0. It looks more like a company canteen with table cloths with a couple of servers in the window picking their noses waiting for the wonder...... 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the Indian Chimney, but the Golden Chimney on Pattaya Tai by the Shell station is excellent 4 star ambiance with reasonable prices for Pattaya Indian food and the chef is imported from India not local "Tai Indian" like so many others. 

Yes that's a fancy place. No business relation to Chimney. Chimney also claims to have an Indian chef.

There is absolutely nothing about its exterrior that tempts me to go further than looking at the outside menu...

Indian food is a little like pizza. Subjective. 

Honestly I don't like to spend at Indian by Nature levels and at normal local levels (which are pretty high anyway) Indian food in Pattaya just isn't that great.

We make do. 

Edited by Jingthing

Honestly I don't like to spend at Indian by Nature levels and at normal local levels (which are pretty high anyway) Indian food in Pattaya just isn't that great.

We make do. 

SURE,,I would much rather eat at the place next to the Kasikorn ATM than go inside the Golden Chimney..

We make do. 

SURE,,I would much rather eat at the place next to the Kasikorn ATM than go inside the Golden Chimney..

It's a good thing to know where you don't want to go. Narrows things down!

Try this place:
Indian Chimney.

I went there once. I found the food to be very bland and I got the impression that it was like all the other Indian places in town; over-priced and under-spiced.

I wish I knew why Indian restaurants here are such poor quality and worse value. Over the border in Malaysia the Indian food is 10 times better and half the price. Yet there is nothing special or expensive about the ingredients of Indian food.

Could Malaysia predicament be because of the number of Malaysians of Indian extraction? Just asking like..............coffee1.gif

We make do. 

It's a good thing to know where you don't want to go. Narrows things down!

Yeh...we really are spoilt for choice....all within a 10 baht taxi ride too!!!!

I don't think we are that spoiled. Lots of choices (not only talking Indian) but face it the vast majority of eateries in town are mediocre or worse. Pattaya has good food if you work hard to find it but it is not among the great food cities of the world. 

Try this place:
Indian Chimney.

I went there once. ......

Buffet or a la carte?

Ooops! Wrong Chimney.

The one I went to was the Golden Chimney. My comments about it still apply.

Not been to the Indian Chimney but will do so.

Could Malaysia predicament be because of the number of Malaysians of Indian extraction? Just asking like..............

Surely, but that's not a reason why they cant do it here. There is nothing special or expensive about Indian food ingredients.

Diagonally across from the main entrance of Central Mall on 2nd Road, there is a small Indian restaurant called Madras.

Southern Indian specialties like masala dosa , all curries as well and quite tasty each time I have been there.

This one is my personal favorite but I haven't been there in many months now.

"Indian/Thai restaurant somewhat across from Big C but further north"

Which Big-C???  -- North, Central, or South Pattaya?

North. 2nd road.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi JT

There is an Indian/Thai restaurant slightly north of Big C but on the same side of 2nd Road as Big C, rather than across/opposite.

Quite large, been past it, never tried, tempted, trying to figure out if it is the place you mean.

Very near and same side as  Drinking Street/JJ market

I`ll try to catch the name next time I pass although I think the sign merely said " Indian/Thai restaurant and bar "

I think that place is Indian Garden. I tried it once years ago. Not gone back. That's my review. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Indian by nature is way too expensive and I don't think that Indian food is better when expensive.

I know we pay for the atmosphere, but even, I still prefer some of the small local Indian restaurants that are as good and a lot cheaper.

I wouldn't say this for French food, but about Indian this is my opinion.

Top of Soi 5 Pratters,...at present is good but last year wasn't.....great tikka masala...Alibababa is awful, used to be a good one at Jomtien beer complex called curry pot but again chef goes and its rubbish

Hmmm...just ate at Alibaba's Friday night, with a group of about 8 people.  Everybody loved it.  Service was good, decor is...well...Indian? 55555

I've been there 4-5 times.  I think it's OK.  Wouldn't call it fantastic and wouldn't call it awful.  We ate until we were stuffed and the bill was 800B/couple.  Very reasonable.

• Like 1

Hey thanks all.

I have a few very good leads and Indian Chimney or Indian By Nature sound like the front-runners. I don't care too much about price (I probably should have mentioned that first), but more on the enjoyment. If I want to save a buck I will eat at home but when I go out, I am not counting and want to enjoy it.

I like spicy so Jingthing's suggestion might be a goer. The free refills sound good but might be dangerous for my growing and oversize already waistline.

Thanks again and I hope to report back on my experience. Of course all comments provided by you all are subject to your opinions at the time and value your input.

Many Moons ago I use to like Ali Baba but from the reports on here it has obviously gone down but I have not been there for many years, maybe 10. When you mention that you go out to enjoy and are not counting that is also my style. I live near Korat but visit Pattaya for a holiday about twice a year and do not want to vist a cheap place and have my evening ruined by poor food as I only have a week or so there, so no time to experiment. I now eat my Indian at Mantra Restaurant, part of the Amari Hotel Resort. The Mantra has many 'Open on view' style kitchens, maybe 5 or even up to 7 and authentic Indian is one of them. I have never been disappointed.... yet! The other advantage if you go in a small group and one or the other does not like Indian then there are many other 'kitchens' to choose from ranging from Chinese to European. In the evening they have a dress code of no shorts or sandals etc. however the aircon is good.

If you dare to venture out on the dark side, the Tandoori Garden at the lake is quite good.

There is also a hole in the wall place on SSCC near the route cc bar. Same side, a bit closer to Sukhumvit. Ate there once and the food was quite good. Zero ambience, though.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Indian by nature is way too expensive and I don't think that Indian food is better when expensive.

I know we pay for the atmosphere, but even, I still prefer some of the small local Indian restaurants that are as good and a lot cheaper.

My Sri Lankan friends swear by Madras (something or other else) opposite Central Festival. It's compact and they don't serve alcohol but they do make southern Indian dishes.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

My Sri Lankan friends swear by Madras (something or other else) opposite Central Festival. It's compact and they don't serve alcohol but they do make southern Indian dishes.

a spicy south indian dish without an ice cold beer is like a working girl that wears a chastity belt bah.gif

• Like 1

My two baht. 

Mixed bag for me so far.

Had a dosa -- overly greasy.

Had a thali -- like an appetizer, portions EXTREMELY small and flavors nothing special either

Pongal -- excellent

I have a related question:
I havnt try an indian resturant, but will one day,
but can i order some dish that has a bunch of small dishes of various flavors ?
i'd like to know what i should order to get the most complete picture of indian food ?,
and that indian chimney sounds like a good start.
It is located at the intersection of beach rd and south pattaya rd, just at the entrance of WS yes ? Edited by poanoi

If you're dining alone options are limited for a varied Indian meal for a good price.

Buffets solve that issue.

Also places with THALI platters, little tastes of a number of stuff.

A good lunch type meal for one is a south masala Indian dosa (pancake filled with spiced potatoes), chutney dips, and a yellow spicy soup

Ordering one dish a la carte doesn't really cut it to really experience Indian food. 

At the least for one example: you need a so called "curry" veg or meat, and at least one starch, such as a rice dish or a bread dish (servers if they're Indian can often tell you which starch is the typical match) and perhaps a yogurt side dish like raita and also a DAL dish (spiced lentils). You might also want an appetizer like a samosa and/or a small order of tandoori chicken. It adds up!

Indian Chimney is just off Beach Road in North Pattaya

Edited by Jingthing