Just bought a 2,000 Baht steak Jungle-chef

mascarakatze

A hot pan is one good way to cook a steak. For good quality meat just season with salt and pepper is all that should be necessary. Getting the correct temperature (doneness) can be the tricky part but things continue to cook once off the heat source so better to take off a bit early and let rest so the juices can settle down and not run out before cutting. One can also cook more or add seasoning (but not the opposite).

What kind of steak is it and where did you buy it?

A hot pan is one good way to cook a steak. For good quality meat just season with salt and pepper is all that should be necessary. Getting the correct temperature (doneness) can be the tricky part but things continue to cook once off the heat source so better to take off a bit early and let rest so the juices can settle down and not run out before cutting. One can also cook more or add seasoning (but not the opposite).

my god was that good. ate half wish button mushrooms and baked potatoes. yuabi (sp) steak Australian grain fed. gosh it really was superb. in the dates I had a small farm (80) acres and raised organic beef Hereford and this was as good. took your advice pan cooked rare center. rim ping promenada
  • Like 2

my god was that good. ate half wish button mushrooms and baked potatoes. yuabi (sp) steak Australian grain fed. gosh it really was superb. in the dates I had a small farm (80) acres and raised organic beef Hereford and this was as good. took your advice pan cooked rare center. rim ping promenada

Interesting reading your post....... sounds great for the beef, but care to tell us what and how much there was to drink ??? whistling.gifwhistling.gif

..... also tell us if you would, what was the weight of this 2000 B steak ???

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Excellent glad it worked out and you, good quality product cooked simply is never a bad way to go, as I like to say when People ask me how I cook, "Take what God gives us and try not to f*** it up!"

after living in France for so many years I had two (2) pastis. Caught great buzz. Life is good

That new Rimping Promenada really does have some interesting stuff on offer. What caught my eye was the Jamón ibérico on the bone. Additionally it was also on a proper jamonera for slicing. The Thai kid slicing the ham looked as though he had been properly trained in slicing it. After living in Spain that is one thing I miss. I was afraid to look at the price though!

Really the new Rimping is 1st class. The rest of the place - well nothing but wasted space to house snack shops and coffee shops. Don't see how it will make it. I would go there if it was just Rimping. But trying to deal with the parking is just too much hassle.

Excellent glad it worked out and you, good quality product cooked simply is never a bad way to go, as I like to say when People ask me how I cook, "Take what God gives us and try not to f*** it up!"

...and only flip it once

Interesting reading your post....... sounds great for the beef, but care to tell us what and how much there was to drink ??? Posted ImagePosted Image

1/2 kg

Interesting reading your post....... sounds great for the beef, but care to tell us what and how much there was to drink ??? whistling.gifwhistling.gif

1/2 kg

2000 bht for 1/2 a kilo,!, it should have tasted like ambrosia , but it will still be S&%t ,tomorrow !

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Probably slightly off topic but in today's Sydney Morning Herald there is an article about "test tube" hamburger beef that has been developed at a cost of much more than your 2000 thb steak.

The article says "The 140 gram patty, which cost more than €250,000 ($373,000) to produce, has been made using strands of meat grown from muscle cells taken from a living cow."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/scientists-serve-up-test-tube-burger-20130806-2rao7.html#ixzz2b8Rh67cN

That new Rimping Promenada really does have some interesting stuff on offer. What caught my eye was the Jamón ibérico on the bone. Additionally it was also on a proper jamonera for slicing. The Thai kid slicing the ham looked as though he had been properly trained in slicing it. After living in Spain that is one thing I miss. I was afraid to look at the price though!

Really the new Rimping is 1st class. The rest of the place - well nothing but wasted space to house snack shops and coffee shops. Don't see how it will make it. I would go there if it was just Rimping. But trying to deal with the parking is just too much hassle.

That all sounds good, will have to check it to. Has anybody been to their oyster bar there?

...and only flip it once

Flip wasn't the word I was referring too smile.png , but when I cook a steak I usually flip 3 x, once to get a sear on one side, flip and sear the other side and then flip to finish. I seem to get best results for correct temp this way, perhaps by letting the internal juices flow more freely (this is just a hypothesis but works for me). If the meat is very thick the whole pan can go into a hot oven to finish if desired. When BBQing a steak it's a totally different matter as one has to move the product around a lot, flipping and on the same side as the heat source is uneven especially due to the grates getting hot and one will get charred parts etc. But whatever works, as they say there is many ways to skin a cat, which might apply to other cooking in this part of the world too.

I'm glad the steak was good as hopefully paying a premium price one should get a premium product. How one spends his money is entirely up to them (i.e. judging someone for spending 2000 bht on good food as opposed to a few nights out drinking at a bar is a hard call in my eyes). Also not being apologetic for one's success does not mean they are a show-off, it's how they present the info which I feel here was a just an inquiry so not to waste their money or this beautiful sounding and apparently tasting piece of meat.

Cripes maybe my "show off" radar is broken or something.

Is OP a show off? What do TV readers think?

Wouldn't a less showy person just have PM'd JChef or maybe googled how to cook a steak? For that matter how many grown ups don't know how to cook a steak? Maybe he is recently reformed life long Vegan.

A mouth watering picture would have made the thread a bit more interesting anyway.

• Like 1

That all sounds good, will have to check it to. Has anybody been to their oyster bar there?

...and only flip it once

Flip wasn't the word I was referring too smile.png , but when I cook a steak I usually flip 3 x, once to get a sear on one side, flip and sear the other side and then flip to finish. I seem to get best results for correct temp this way, perhaps by letting the internal juices flow more freely (this is just a hypothesis but works for me). If the meat is very thick the whole pan can go into a hot oven to finish if desired. When BBQing a steak it's a totally different matter as one has to move the product around a lot, flipping and on the same side as the heat source is uneven especially due to the grates getting hot and one will get charred parts etc. But whatever works, as they say there is many ways to skin a cat, which might apply to other cooking in this part of the world too.

I'm glad the steak was good as hopefully paying a premium price one should get a premium product. How one spends his money is entirely up to them (i.e. judging someone for spending 2000 bht on good food as opposed to a few nights out drinking at a bar is a hard call in my eyes). Also not being apologetic for one's success does not mean they are a show-off, it's how they present the info which I feel here was a just an inquiry so not to waste their money or this beautiful sounding and apparently tasting piece of meat.

Glad you answered that. I used to just do the sear and then turn to each side one more time. I read a piece a few years ago which said that once you have a good sear turning the steak multiple times is better than only the once. The theory being that the heat drives the juices towards the upper part of the meat, therefore multiple turns tends to keep the juices more evenly distributed. Anyway, mulitple turns seems to work for me especially on thick cuts and I always have my steak rare or slightly to the medium side of rare.

Wouldn't a less showy person just have PM'd JChef or maybe googled how to cook a steak? For that matter how many grown ups don't know how to cook a steak? Maybe he is recently reformed life long Vegan.

A mouth watering picture would have made the thread a bit more interesting anyway.

It was an expensive steak. I can get air flown Australian wagyu (Rib eye 7/8) here in Singapore for SGD 90 / Kg.

well I've always had personal assistants, wives, and maids to look after me. here nobody knows how to cook stuff like that