biodegradable plastic bags

infinity11

Pet peeve of mine the amount of plastic that is not bio bags here, MIL even folds them and saves them for whatever reason. I bought the tesco canvas reusable bags and you guessed it they are used to store the plastic folded bags.

I wish the big box stores had bins to recycle carrier bags, I'd be able to fill a bin in no time, well maybe half since ours are nicely folded.

Terms of cost no idea just wish they'd hurry up.

• Like 1

Bio-degradable bags' advantages are that they are made from renewable resources and don't permanently take up landfill space. However, they do contribute to poor air quality as they actually use up more energy to make them and they use more water resources.

The main reasons they are not more widely used are that they cost more to make and are of a much lower quality.

From an environmental standpoint, the "best" bags are reusable plastic or fabric bags, bags that are sturdy enough so that people will in fact use them time and time again.

• Like 1

Bio-degradable bags' advantages are that they are made from renewable resources and don't permanently take up landfill space. However, they do contribute to poor air quality as they actually use up more energy to make them and they use more water resources.

The main reasons they are not more widely used are that they cost more to make and are of a much lower quality.

From an environmental standpoint, the "best" bags are reusable plastic or fabric bags, bags that are sturdy enough so that people will in fact use them time and time again.

I had another look at the ones I picked up at tesco I think your comment about the canvas as "best" is spot on, the bags from tesco cannot be washed and I think could up being a nice leading breeding ground for lots and lots of bacteria from meat et al. Washable canvas or heaven cotton seem the way to go.

My g/f also likes to neatly fold each plastic bag and save them. We have thousands of them. <deleted>?? When she goes to visit the family, I throw 3/4 out and she never misses them. I noticed Big C is now using biodegradable bags. However, we bring our own canvas bags but they first pack it in plastic and then in our canvas bags.

• Like 1

My g/f also likes to neatly fold each plastic bag and save them. We have thousands of them. <deleted>?? When she goes to visit the family, I throw 3/4 out and she never misses them. I noticed Big C is now using biodegradable bags. However, we bring our own canvas bags but they first pack it in plastic and then in our canvas bags.

Must try to toss some when I have the chance. My MIL is the Thai Imelda Marcos and she uses them for her 100's and 100's of shoes, when I hear the plastic bags I know she's heading out so that may be my opportunity to ditch some.

Edited by ToddWeston

Yea it's pretty terrible how many plastic bags are used here... even when I try to say to not use a new one and just pack it all in they don't really want to. And double bagging for a 2L milk... come on.

Definitely need reusable fabric bags here but I doubt it would ever catch on. Was hard enough to make the switch in Australia.

In Malaysia, to reduce plastic bag usage, it is now law that shops (maybe only supermarkets) have to charge for plastic bags on Saturdays.

I never remember to take my canvas shopping bags with me, though...

In Taiwan, they were required to charge all the time. That encouraged re-use; especially if I was just going round the corner to 7-11 to buy beer. But Taiwan had one of the most aggressive and effective waste management programmes that I have seen. Doorstep rubbish collection six days a week, with taxed landfill bags, pigswill and composting waste collected every day, and alternate days paper and cardboard or cans and bottles for recycling.

SC