New measures for Suvarnabhumi Airport to accommodate high passenger flow

TOURISM
New measures for Suvarnabhumi Airport to accommodate high passenger flow
The Nation

30211993-01_big.jpg
A file photo shows how busy Suvarnabhumi Airport could be during a high season.

Suvarnabhumi Airport is expected to accommodate 27.47 million passengers during the upcoming high season, according to Airports of Thailand's estimates.

This is a 5.50 per cent growth last year's high season.

The number accounts for 57.6 per cent of the 47.7 million passengers using the six international airports operated by AOT during the six-month period starting from October. The number of passengers will increase by 8.7 per cent from the same period last year.

The figures were revealed after a meeting between Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt and AOT executives. They were brainstorming on measures to enhance the airports' efficiency, in light of the increasing volume of traffic.

Among the planned improvements is an increase in check-in counters at Suvarnabhumi Airport, including computerised check-in booths. Airlines will also be encouraged to use check-in counters at Makkasan Rail Station.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-06

Airlines will also be encouraged to use check-in counters at Makkasan Rail Station. cheesy.gif Until you make the link and access to the Makassan Rail Station convenient for passengers the airlines can use them as much as they like but that can't force passengers to use the ill conceived service. Is Thailand taking tourism management advice off Indonesia and the Philippines at the moment? certainly appears that way?facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Airlines will also be encouraged to use check-in counters at Makkasan Rail Station. cheesy.gif Until you make the link and access to the Makassan Rail Station convenient for passengers the airlines can use them as much as they like but that can't force passengers to use the ill conceived service. Is Thailand taking tourism management advice off Indonesia and the Philippines at the moment? certainly appears that way?facepalm.gif

Thanks I didn't know that Makassan had this convenient service open yet. I use it in Hong Kong & it works great so when I have business in BKK i'll give it a try

I am sad you are not positive.

It would be convenient for me.

I would suggest if you use the service you will not be obliged to purchase an Express Line ticket.

Get on at Phaya Thai, check in the bags at Makkasan, do a bit of shopping or a meal, get on a later train to arrive at immigration, and into the big blue..

Thanks I didn't know that Makassan had this convenient service open yet. I use it in Hong Kong & it works great so when I have business in BKK i'll give it a try

Don't! You will only frustrate yourself.

Taking the train from the airport to town means passing in and out of secure areas multiple times. You will pass through rubber-stamp security procedures more times than you will remember. Ignoring the amount of walking you need to do to use this 'integrated' solution, the security hassle alone makes it a fail...

Edited by DualSportBiker
  • Like 1

Taking the train from the airport to town means passing in and out of secure areas multiple times. You will pass through rubber-stamp security procedures more times than you will remember. Ignoring the amount of walking you need to do to use this 'integrated' solution, the security hassle alone makes it a fail...

Secure areas? At most, you have to open your bags going onto the MRT, and I'd hardly call that secure.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if they still have it open. They started with a couple of airlines, but maybe only Thai is open now.

And the check-in there isn't that convenient because, IIRC, you have to check in more than 3 hours before the flight. It does cut out the long queues at Suvarnabhumi check-in though.

Taking the train can be convenient though, particularly the City Line if it's out of peak times. But it all depends on how easy it is for you to get to Makkasan.

By the way, there is a step free foot bridge connecting the MRT station to ARL Makkasan now for those who still have no clue.

You no longer have to drag your luggages on the poorly paved street "below" anymore haha.

Is it open yet? I went past yesterday and it looked really close to opening but not quite open yet.

By the way, there is a step free foot bridge connecting the MRT station to ARL Makkasan now for those who still have no clue.

You no longer have to drag your luggages on the poorly paved street "below" anymore haha.

Believe you are clueless. Still not open.

Not sure why more people don't use on-line check-in? Many airlines have dedicated on-line check-in counter locations and baggage drops so it is very, very simple.

I'd like to see some pre-authorized, automated Immigration process, at the very least upon exit, especially for visa-holders.

Never mind the check in, what about the bottlenecks at Immigration. Even with about nine long rows of aisles taped off in front of the Immigration counter the queue was still stretching well back into the arrival hall when I came in from Laos last week. Took well over an hour to clear, by which time our bags from that flight had been dumped off the carousel

Dear Lomatopo,

For a Titanic member thats a bit harsh ........

A week ago I left for international trip ... used the check in and bag drop at Makassan - then didnt need to drag my bag all the way through the train systems.

Just today I returned .... came home on the train, and then walked over the bridge that was highlighted earlier, across Asoke, down into the MRT, then back up the other side at Asoke/Petchaburi intersection ........

Clueless indeed was I ...... Infernalman7 .... not clueless at all ......... perhaps you should ............nah ... not worth it....

Dear Lomatopo,

It's open!! Been opened for almost two weeks now. As for why people don't use online check-in. That is still something I can't seem to find the answer for that. Perhaps lack of internet connection maybe, or misinformation because most of the time you don't even need to print your boarding pass.

Proof: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.621203034568004.1073741860.256896774331967&type=1

post-56999-0-88985000-1375885005_thumb.j

Edited by infernalman7

Dear Lomatopo,

It's open!! As for why people don't use online check-in. That is still something I can't seem to find the answer for that. Perhaps lack of internet connection maybe, or misinformation because most of the time you don't even need to print your boarding pass. 

Proof: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.621203034568004.1073741860.256896774331967&type=1

But alas, at the bottom....a step!

Dear Lomatopo,

It's open!! As for why people don't use online check-in. That is still something I can't seem to find the answer for that. Perhaps lack of internet connection maybe, or misinformation because most of the time you don't even need to print your boarding pass. 

Proof: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.621203034568004.1073741860.256896774331967&type=1

On the left and right are ramps.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Never mind the check in, what about the bottlenecks at Immigration. Even with about nine long rows of aisles taped off in front of the Immigration counter the queue was still stretching well back into the arrival hall when I came in from Laos last week. Took well over an hour to clear, by which time our bags from that flight had been dumped off the carousel

You are right. The 2 major causes of aggravation/frustration are;

1. Insufficient staffing for the immigration process and,

2. Baggage handling. The airport has no staff to deal with the overflow of bags on the carousels. I've seen them literally just tossing some bags into heaps.

I am dreading my long haul trips this month.

Edited by geriatrickid

I am dreading my long haul trips this month.

Not dreading, looking forward to ours next month.

Coming in from the North by bus then taxi from Rang sit right to the door.

Will book in on line 30 hrs before departure.

No problem, the little extra cost of a taxi is well worth missing the hassle of getting through the loony bin that is BKK.

When I checked the Pedestrian Link on Monday, 5 August 2013, it was still not open - workers were still painting. Evidently it opened the next day. Apologies.

I assume the down escalators at the Petchaburi MRT station are not turned-off during non-peak travel times?

I made no comments re: airline check-in counters/capabilities at Makkasan/CAT.

Do any airlines other than TG offer this option? http://www.thaiairways.com.au/thai_leftnav_desc.asp?special_cat=Travel%20Agents%20Only&id=175

I think PG did offer this service but cancelled it a few years ago.

Airlines will also be encouraged to use check-in counters at Makkasan Rail Station. Posted Image Until you make the link and access to the Makassan Rail Station convenient for passengers the airlines can use them as much as they like but that can't force passengers to use the ill conceived service. Is Thailand taking tourism management advice off Indonesia and the Philippines at the moment? certainly appears that way?Posted Image

Secure areas? At most, you have to open your bags going onto the MRT, and I'd hardly call that secure.

I should have used 'quotes' ... Secure or not, there is a an opportunity to waste passengers time at every entrance.

I should have used 'quotes' ... Secure or not, there is a an opportunity to waste passengers time at every entrance.

Maybe you can explain the "multiple times" and "more times than you can remember" then.

You only pass through "security" once.

How about wheelchairs...are they able to use it?

There is a lift at the MRT end of the walkway.

There is a lift at the MRT end of the walkway.

Thanks this is useful information. May help others too as there are many wheeelchair users on the forum

Dear Lomatopo,

Proof: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.621203034568004.1073741860.256896774331967&type=1

On the left and right are ramps.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry about that, just a jaded level of expectation here. Sorry Thailand. I will try to have a little more faith this year!

Hong Kong, Singapore and perhaps Japan all are faster and more convenient. In Hong Kong and Narita I can check in at the train station. In Narita if I travel ANA you can check in at the HOTEL.

In Bangkok I use the Airport Link train but the problem with that train station is that it is in an urban wasteland with hardly any hotels or restaurants nearby. And at Suvarnabhum you have to hike so far in the terminals.

Perhaps the answer is yo swallow their pride and ask the experts in other nations their advice.