Global survey about rate of acceptance of homosexuality ... Thailand not rated

Jingthing

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2013/08/homosexuality_in_russia_three_out_of_four_russians_don_t_accept_gay_people.html

Russia is the most anti-gay of the nine European countries surveyed, although it is not nearly as anti-gay as some countries in Africa and the Middle East. One-third of Americans say society should not accept homosexuality.

I give credence to the poll largely because I don't see any results that are particularly surprising.

You would expect Canada to be more accepting than the USA, Germany more accepting than Poland, etc.

Some might be a little surprised at the Israeli results being so much less accepting than western Europe. I'm not because in Israel you have such a mix, 20 percent Arabs, so many Jews from anti-gay Russia and North Africa, etc.

If I had to guess I'd say Thailand would rate between Japan and the Philippines.

Edited by Jingthing

I just noticed that the USA and Mexico are at about the same level. That's interesting to me considering both North American nations are at very similar places in their same sex marriage equality movements, winning but still some messes to clean up, while Canada at the much higher acceptance rate dealt with that issue fully long ago.

Edited by Jingthing

Highly interesting survey. Israel surprises me, the rest of the ME doesn't. Africa scores as expected. Latin America is interesting.

Of course, I would have liked to see more S.E.Asian nations, especially Thailand and it's direct neighbours.

• Like 1

So if you don't accept homosexuality what does that mean? You hope it will go away?

That can vary and there is a wide range:

Approval of discriminatory laws in employment, housing, etc.

Approval of criminalization of gay sex and relationships

Disapproval of legalizing gay relationships

Approval of violence against gay people

Approval of execution of gay people

So if you don't accept homosexuality what does that mean? You hope it will go away?

Huh? This was a survey of the current situation, that's all. You can call to arms if you wish.

Huh? Which post are you reading?

Most of it is not unexpected. I wonder how the figures were arrived at?

Curious that Malaysia is included, whereas the much larger Thailand is not.

Survey methods are given here: http://www.pewglobal.org/2013/06/04/survey-methods-51/

Unfortunately the survey is totally worthless as different sample methods were used in different countries - in some countries the complete sample were selected and interviewed face-to-face, while in others they were interviewed anonymously over the telephone by a Random Digit Dial (RDD) sample.

This could (and should) have been easily avoided.

Edited by LeCharivari