Effective Range of WINET

Totster

The antenna manufacturer says 10 kilometres, TOT offices say 2 kilometres, but mine is between 3 and 4 kilometres from the transmitter. They do have another type of antenna with a range of 15 kilometres but they don't seem to offer it generally.

Line of sight, i.e. no obstacles whatsoever between you and the tower (and an unobstructed fresnel zone for the technically inclined) , it can reach pretty long distances (easy 15+km).

However, it's microwaves, and they are terribly bad at penetrating anything, especially water. At such long distances a heavy downpour would kill the link, hence the operators usually are very conservative with maximum distances.

Line of sight, i.e. no obstacles whatsoever between you and the tower (and an unobstructed fresnel zone for the technically inclined) , it can reach pretty long distances (easy 15+km).

However, it's microwaves, and they are terribly bad at penetrating anything, especially water. At such long distances a heavy downpour would kill the link, hence the operators usually are very conservative with maximum distances.

I've had mine for over a year and a half now and never lost, or had trouble with, the connection as a result of the rain, however heavy the downpour. I have lost the signal though when lightning has struck the tower, and on a couple of occasions it's taken two or three days to put right.

I also usually get the 7MB I'm paying for with and don't suffer a loss of speed during busy times. On the odd occasion I have lost the internet altogether for no apparent reason though. Rebooting the modem always cures the problem.

Thanks for the reply guys,

I have been asking TOT to install a tower in our village for a year now with no luck (we have the people ready to sign up), however the next village has had a tower since February (from memory). As the distance by the crow flies from my house to their tower is around 2.5-3km I was thinking I might be able to connect to that one.

So based on what has been said here it is certainly feasible, I'm just wondering how clear the line of sight is.. I'll reccy it tomorrow before I ask them to come and check it out.

totster :)

I've exhausted all avenues for wifi,ais and true have towers within 3 kms of home but ais is still 2g and true say their tower is only good for phone and aircards.

Cat were the most helpful,gave them my gps location and they tried many different scenarios to see what they could do.Unfortunately i have too many mountains obstructing from their main towers.

So final straw was back to tot and paid for a fibre optic cable to be installed 3kms 112,000 baht with a business package of 20mbps at 1500 baht a month.

Just waiting for installation,if this doesnt work i will be going for a piece of rope.

I've exhausted all avenues for wifi,ais and true have towers within 3 kms of home but ais is still 2g and true say their tower is only good for phone and aircards.

Cat were the most helpful,gave them my gps location and they tried many different scenarios to see what they could do.Unfortunately i have too many mountains obstructing from their main towers.

So final straw was back to tot and paid for a fibre optic cable to be installed 3kms 112,000 baht with a business package of 20mbps at 1500 baht a month.

Just waiting for installation,if this doesnt work i will be going for a piece of rope.

I can receive a '3g' signal from CAT/TRUE and DTAC using an antenna on the roof, so I have internet - but the limits are frustrating. This is why I am specifically interested in the WINET service.

Good luck with your installation, there is NO way I would be giving TOT that kind of money !

totster :)

I can receive a '3g' signal from CAT/TRUE and DTAC using an antenna on the roof, so I have internet - but the limits are frustrating. This is why I am specifically interested in the WINET service.

Good luck with your installation, there is NO way I would be giving TOT that kind of money !

totster smile.png

Thanks,

I had similar 3g with true but was costing 4000 plus a month for data required on aircards.

Once you get a taste for it then suddenly your throttled back and cannot finish what you started its more frustrating than anything i know.

I know its expensive but somethings in life cannot go on,for me its crappy internet.

I have waited for the cheaper options but fear could wait a lot longer yet.

A friend down the road has had fibre optic the same for over 12 months with no problems,hindsight says i should have done it then.

Good luck with your mission.

totster smile.png

Thanks,

I had similar 3g with true but was costing 4000 plus a month for data required on aircards.

Once you get a taste for it then suddenly your throttled back and cannot finish what you started its more frustrating than anything i know.

I know its expensive but somethings in life cannot go on,for me its crappy internet.

A friend down the road has had fibre optic the same for over 12 months with no problems,hindsight says i should have done it then.

I am in the middle of a rice field and have the same issues.

Good luck with your installation - please report back once you are up and running.

totster smile.png

Thanks,

I am in the middle of a rice field and have the same issues.

Good luck with your installation - please report back once you are up and running.

Well applied for it on tuesday and men have just turned up to install,say they will finish today cause they have had to come from khon kaen 130kms away.

Hows that for service,will let you know tomorrow.smile.png