Buying A Car In A Thai Mate's Name

Most of us know the issues and pitfalls with buying real estate in a Thai mate's name, but how about a car?

If you buy a car and put the car in your Thai mate's name, is there any legal way to still hold some control over the ownership so that they don't sell it without your consent?

For example, could you lease it from them for 100 baht a year for 10 years, meaning they couldn't sell it because you held the lease rights.

Most of us know the issues and pitfalls with buying real estate in a Thai mate's name, but how about a car?

If you buy a car and put the car in your Thai mate's name, is there any legal way to still hold some control over the ownership so that they don't sell it without your consent?

For example, could you lease it from them for 100 baht a year for 10 years, meaning they couldn't sell it because you held the lease rights.

Whoa there Thaiquila !

Not sure why you would want to do that ? A bit of a risk I would say :o

Unlike land, Farangs can own a car in their own name.

So why not put it in your own name ?. Just go to Immigration and ask for the form

which shows your residential address ... I forget the form Number.

You will need this form in order to register the car in your own name.

The form costs about Bt 150 or thereabouts. :D

Naka.

Edited by naka

Whoa there Thaiquila !

Not sure why you would want to do that ? A bit of a risk I would say :o

Unlike land, Farangs can own a car in their own name.

So why not put it in your own name ?. Just go to Immigration and ask for the form

which shows your residential address ... I forget the form Number.

You will need this form in order to register the car in your own name.

The form costs about Bt 150 or thereabouts. :D

Naka.

I got the required letter from the British embassy, but it sounds cheaper and easier from immigration, if you are living in Pattaya.

The car book is a bit like a registration house book - it is VERY IMPORTANT!

Once you have a car book, no-one can get legal ownership of the car from you, and it is a very serious offence to try and steal or change the name in a book. I even know of Thais who have borrowed money just by lodging the book with the lender - don't even have to show the car - just the book.

The leasing idea is a non- runner - you would have no protection against your mate taking the car any time he felt like it. You might be able to sue him for the lease rent - but not for the car.