Tales from the Farm ...

David48

Thanks for those recommendations ...

post-104736-0-85424400-1375869140_thumb.

MissFarmGirl may have something to say about the above suggestions!

Seriously though ... that's how we started.

But we are past that now.

Cheers for the suggestions though.

• Like 2

We'd just spent a weekend at the village a few weeks ago ,where I'd lived for one year many moons ago.

A big party for grandma, as one of the uncles had built a nice Isaan style, but unbelievable comfortable and I'm sure expensive house, as all's made from finest material.

"Your friend Satien Tamm Mue" is here" said my wife. Didn't believe it until we sat there with him and drank finest French Brandy, old red wine and a food service did all to fill up our stomachs with all sorts of delicious food in the middle of nowhere.

A waitress looked very lost as she had no idea how to get the Cork out of the wine bottle. A little course in how to open a bottle of wine makes people smile. No, everybody's smiling.

I walked through the village for a while and thought about some good guys who had to leave this planet too early. "Joy" was into Lhao kao, so Lung "Hui" and I made a tour and drank a small bottle as we did back in the old days.

The fact that everybody respects you gives you a good feeling. You're actually at home and a part of the family, a part of the village society. Almost everybody wants you to come to their house to eat, drink and have a chat.

My dog comes home from the rice fields and greets me waiving its tail. The girl from the shop next door grew up, you start looking at her long legs.....

The Morlam girls look better and better after more alcohol........

But you eat at home....

Then the news. They'd planned a football game and made me to the goalkeeper of one team. People made their fun of me,as many don't know how difficult it can be to run with an artificial knee joint.

The little school received a computer, printer and other useful stuff. Wife drove home that day and memories end.

My team had lost, but we fought and the tricot at home reminds me of that nice weekend. Life could be worse.-wai2.gif .

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

We'd just spent a weekend at the village a few weeks ago ,where I'd lived for one year many moons ago.

A big party for grandma, as one of the uncles had built a nice Isaan style, but unbelievable comfortable and I'm sure expensive house, as all's made from finest material.

"Your friend Satien Tamm Mue" is here" said my wife. Didn't believe it until we sat there with him and drank finest French Brandy, old red wine and a food service did all to fill up our stomachs with all sorts of delicious food in the middle of nowhere.

A waitress looked very lost as she had no idea how to get the Cork out of the wine bottle. A little course in how to open a bottle of wine makes people smile. No, everybody's smiling.

I walked through the village for a while and thought about some good guys who had to leave this planet too early. "Joy" was into Lhao kao, so Lung "Hui" and I made a tour and drank a small bottle as we did back in the old days.

The fact that everybody respects you gives you a good feeling. You're actually at home and a part of the family, a part of the village society. Almost everybody wants you to come to their house to eat, drink and have a chat.

My dog comes home from the rice fields and greets me waiving its tail. The girl from the shop next door grew up, you start looking at her long legs.....

The Morlam girls look better and better after more alcohol........

But you eat at home....

Then the news. They'd planned a football game and made me to the goalkeeper of one team. People made their fun of me,as many don't know how difficult it can be to run with an artificial knee joint.

The little school received a computer, printer and other useful stuff. Wife drove home that day and memories end.

My team had lost, but we fought and the tricot at home reminds me of that nice weekend. Life could be worse.-wai2.gif .

Nice photos.

I miss my time spent in and around the village.

But alas, I need to work, as hanging around the village doesn't pay for my retirement, school fees, Mrs Soihok's shopping escapes,

Look forward till the next time I'm back - wild pig anyone?

Cheers.

• Like 1

From my time in Sisaket:

1. Having the village elders think I am good luck because when I came it began to rain after a long drought.

2. Driving through police checkpoints on my gf's pink Hello Kitty scooter.

3. Going out for a morning smoke and looking up to see my banging hot 20 year old neighbor taking a full nude-not shy bath-outside (yes, she's a girl)

4. Coming back from the main town (30 min away), with the scooter loaded with snacks, coke, toilet paper,toys--and feeling like Santa Claus.

5. walking around the village by myself and hearing kids scream "farang!!!"

6. Frog hunting at night with a light on my head and a sharpened stick.

7. Being chased by mercurial water buffalo.

8. Watching my gf forage and spot fruit in trees so far away when I can see nothing but green

9. Wanting a coconut and having my gf climb the tree like a monkey to get me one.

10 Waking up to the acrid smell of a wood burning stove on the ground and the breakfast that blows away anything I get in BKK.

11. Seeing a sky full of stars every night, and having someone I love to share the view with.

I don't believe number 3, however if you have photographic evidence then I might.

• Like 2

build your own space ,its all a lot cheaper than the west ,yes live in issan , westerner wc ,hot water shower AC BBC ,more luxury than i had in england at half the cost

This clearly shows, that there are still folks living in the Sherwood-Forest in the UK. smile.png

Cheers.

man you better off sleeping in a tent

and buy some frontline drops for the dog

the vet should have them

Guys ... the posts before this ... all liked, and most likely will run out of likes before sundown here.

Great stories .. all positive ... just how they should be ... LOVE THE LIFE YOU LIVE.

But this post does deserve a personal reply ...

Stories from the Farm ...

post-104736-0-44328500-1368128186.jpg

The Farm Top Dog.

No-one takes him on ... packs of 5 others I have watched bark madly ... but from a distance and as he moves closer ... they keep their distance.

Pulled maybe 100 ticks off him day 1 ... some inside his ears .. must have hurt ... I'm no delicate surgeon ... never flinched.

Just now, someone letting off fireworks and he's straight to door to the FarmHouse where I'm sitting and tentatively comes inside. He NEVER comes inside. Waits by the kitchen door patiently till the Family's finished eating and awaits the scraps.

Someone lets off a few fireworks to scare the cormorants from fishing the Farms Ponds.

He's (apologetically) inside.

Strange that a pack of dogs doesn't faze him, 100 or so ticks don't slow him down ... but a few crackers ...

I gave him comfort (companionship) for maybe 15 mins until his perceived danger was over.

Up he pops and outside again.

He's a smart dog ... if only I could train him to get the broom and scoop to tidy up the mud that he just tracked into the House!

Oh ... and the 4 swollen ticks that dropped off, because we gave him the tick medicine yesterday.

So, retell, we are trying both the chemical application and me getting in there with a pair of tweezers and simply pulling the buggers of him.

For some background ... I-never-really-appreciated-dogs-until ... starts as ...

I never really appreciated dogs until I came to Thailand.

Growing up in the burbs we always had cats, small yard and all that, so I never grew an appreciation for the canine variety.

The gf's parents Farm where I stay sometimes has a variety of dogs common to Thailand. Many are adopted or rescued muts who found life at the Farm more bearable then on the streets.

Keep the stories coming ... be they sad or cheerful.

This thread ... just a place to chew the fat ...

• Like 1

From my time in Sisaket:

1. Having the village elders think I am good luck because when I came it began to rain after a long drought.

2. Driving through police checkpoints on my gf's pink Hello Kitty scooter.

3. Going out for a morning smoke and looking up to see my banging hot 20 year old neighbor taking a full nude-not shy bath-outside (yes, she's a girl)

4. Coming back from the main town (30 min away), with the scooter loaded with snacks, coke, toilet paper,toys--and feeling like Santa Claus.

5. walking around the village by myself and hearing kids scream "farang!!!"

6. Frog hunting at night with a light on my head and a sharpened stick.

7. Being chased by mercurial water buffalo.

8. Watching my gf forage and spot fruit in trees so far away when I can see nothing but green

9. Wanting a coconut and having my gf climb the tree like a monkey to get me one.

10 Waking up to the acrid smell of a wood burning stove on the ground and the breakfast that blows away anything I get in BKK.

11. Seeing a sky full of stars every night, and having someone I love to share the view with.

I don't believe number 3, however if you have photographic evidence then I might.

Just what's burned in my memory. I don't think a camera would have been appropriate in that situation--but I have some shots from a hotel room I can share.

By all means: Let those "Farm-Stories" come. Just daily life stories, originating from Thailand.

Tourist-Hub Stories, in my humble view, can not qualify as "Stories from Thailand."

This must be correct, because the Abbot of my local Wat has confirmed this view after I have given him a contribution of 1000 Bht. Amen.biggrin.png

Cheers.

• Like 2

By all means: Let those "Farm-Stories" come. Just daily life stories, originating from Thailand.

Tourist-Hub Stories, in my humble view, can not qualify as "Stories from Thailand."

This must be correct, because the Abbot of my local Wat has confirmed this view after I have given him a contribution of 1000 Bht. Amen.biggrin.png

Cheers.

1000 baht isn't really much to make the down payment for a Lear Jet.-laugh.png

Laying in the back of a truck loaded with rice-straw with wife and a selection of kids and one of our dogs en-route bouncing between fields during harvest time - totally brilliant. thumbsup.gif

Catching escaped pigs, less brilliant. sad.png

• Like 2

Cheers.

1000 baht isn't really much to make the down payment for a Lear Jet.-laugh.png

No this is not an Abbot of the Lear-Jet Kind. He waits patiently till school is out (around 4 PM) to have the scholars carted off with a 3-wheeler to conduct "in depth-studies" as far as Buddhism is concerned. Daily. And everybody knows about it. The reward: If long attendance is upheld, the winning lottery numbers will be forthcoming.

The students enlisting to those "in dept-studies" are between 10 and 14 years of age. I guess one can't start early enough with any "enlightenment-process" as long as it is linked to Buddhism and takes place in the quiet surroundings of a Buddhist temple.

The TIT (this is Thailand) will not work much longer for me.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Swissie,

"The students enlisting to those "in depth-studies" are between 10 and 14 years of age. I guess one can't start early enough with any "enlightenment-process" as long as it is linked to Buddhism and takes place in the quiet surroundings of a Buddhist temple."

Do you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZwlpaYGWHeM

• Like 1

Swissie,

"The students enlisting to those "in depth-studies" are between 10 and 14 years of age. I guess one can't start early enough with any "enlightenment-process" as long as it is linked to Buddhism and takes place in the quiet surroundings of a Buddhist temple."

Do you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZwlpaYGWHeM

Didn't you know that these are the Anti opposite gender thinking techniques?

Indeed also the newest Anti computer game breathing technique to be enlightened after only three years or more, or both.-w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai

One afternoon after a long session on the Chang with the father in law, brothers in law and village layabouts and after much sign language or miming it was decided that the following day at 3pm we were going “pheasant” shooting. I know it was “pheasant” as that is what I drew in the sand.

Most unusually my host and guide arrived on time and in the bed on the pick up truck was another guy who was introduced as Mah . We drove less than a mile around to the back of the village onto the road which goes through the rice paddies.

Within minutes we pulled to a stop and I was told to roll the window down whereupon my host produced a .22 rifle which he aimed across me at something out in field. After squinting down the barrel the only thing I could see was an egret all by itself in the paddy field. Sure enough he shot it and told Dog to go fetch. Faithful man that he was he went off at a trot through the mud and retrieved the egret. We continued along this road for a few kilometres popping off at egrets and herons until we lucked upon the prize of the day....a dove. Again he aimed and I immediately thought “<deleted> is he doing?!?!” as the dove was perched on the roof of a sala outside of someone's shack and in the sala was the whole family having a scoff. 4 shots he had at that dove and still didn't hit it. The dove was completely unperturbed so he must have been missing it by a fair margin and still the family munched on. He decided that 4 shots was enough and we turned off on another little road and found more egrets. In one spot where he shot at and missed an egret Gran and Grandad were faffing about in the mud whilst he popped off at the egret which was no more than 25 yards from them and slightly behind.

Enough was enough so I mimed “beer Chang” and off we sped back to the house. When we arrived the women came out and relieved us of our mixed spoils of heron and egret.

I got the Chang out and as we sat in the sala these dishes of wickedly spicy curry, which I love, came out but I had sussed what the meat part was and thought to myself no way am I eating that so I just had a token taste which turned out to be a good decision as the whole family had the trots the next day and spent all morning playing musical toilets.

• Like 1