AIS 12call roaming activation - shortcode?

I had been able to roam on my 12call prepaid sim in the past.

Since I upgraded to 3G, I have lost this service.

I have been given new sim cards since upgrading recently. When I went to Malaysia the other day, I was not able to connect to any of the Malaysian providers (Maxis or Celcom)

Is there a shortcode or procedure to re-activate roaming?

It is mainly useful as I use Kasikorn banking, and their K-web visa card requires receiving a OTP for transactions

Any advice appreciated.

Are you pre-paid or post-paid? Have you switched to AWN - AIS's new 2100 MHz subsidiary?

On the old, One-2-Call pre-paid network, you could use *125 or Press *125*1# send – Turn on International Roaming,

If you've changed to AWN, either pre-paid or post-paid, you may wish to contact AIS to see where they have IR via AWN, and how to activate it? I am pretty sure they've had to negotiate new roaming agreements linked to the new subsidiary.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/index.html

According to this chart it looks like they have pre-paid 2100 3G (AWM) IR in Malaysia, still with Celcom and MAXIS.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/pdf/Prepaid_Rates.pdf

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

Thanks lomatopo - *125*1# did the trick. Just got following response:

YOU CAN NOW USE INTERNATIONAL ROAMING SERVICE.TO CHECK YOUR Internet SERVICE STATUS,DIAL *129# FREE. FOR MORE INFORMATION,PLEASE CONTACT AIS CALL CENTER +6622719000.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 months later...

On the old, One-2-Call pre-paid network, you could use *125 or Press *125*1# send – Turn on International Roaming,

Thanks lomatopo - *125*1# did the trick. Just got following response:

that's all that's needed ? bit of a catch 22 now for me , i am in Malaysia and neither my DTAC or AIS 2100MHz SIMs roamed, and if it didn't roam how am i going to use a USSD code ...

pre-2100 SIMs would roam without difficulty?

I have heard/read that the old pre-2100 networks are end-of-lifed? what happens to the people who never migrate to the new 2100 subsidiaries?

You have to specifically enable international roaming. There are many ways to enable this, USSD codes being just one. And yes, you'd need to do this from within Thailand, in case that wasn't inherently obvious.

If you are outside of Thailand simply drop an email to DTAC or AIS to request that IR be enabled on your SIM/number.

[email protected]

[email protected]

or use the web-based eService platforms.

pre-2100 SIMs would roam, if IR was enabled.

old, pre-2100 networks/SIMs are not end-of-lifed, yet. 15 Sep 2014 for TrueMove (GSM1800), 2015 for AIS/900, 2018 for DTAC/1800+850.

Edited by lomatopo