insurance for second hand bike

nandele

just got second hand big bike from pivate owners (with green book and all papers regular...but no insurance)and i am trying to get insurance for it.

Checked already 3 insurance company but they all refused because is second hand....

is it this the sad reality or did i just been unlucky? anyone had been able to insure a second hand and can suggest a company?

i am surprised since the motorcycle is only 2 y old and i really do not feel confortable in riding it without insurance.

thank in advance to everyone for suggestions

I could not find anyone willing to insure my new 2013 Ninja 650 other than Lockton, which Kawasaki is a broker for. They want 16,000B a year. I have had previously Viriyah at 12000B a year (2011) and Falcon at 7400B year (2009). Viriyah will only do theft and only for bikes over 300,000k. Falcon no longer does motorcycles.

is it this the sad reality or did i just been unlucky? anyone had been able to insure a second hand and can suggest a company?

Had the same with the wife's PCX...once it was over a year old no more class 1 insurance, just the basic government one when you renew tax & reg

Thank you NomadJoe,

It seem Viriyah will accept to insure it but not first class insurance, on ly 3rd party damage,I will check better tomorrow..with the help of some thai colleague...

I also got some suggestion on a Insurance broker, I will check also with them and I will post the outcome so in case someone will be in the same situation..we maybe been able to give some advice...

thanks again for the help

I dont know the difference. What differs ?

The difference is how much they will pay if your in a accident. Imagine you tbone a mercedes s500 and do 300,000 worth of damage. Now you check your insurance and the coverage is only 100,000. Wonder who is going to take care of the (200,000) balance?

Just wondering but do you guys buy accident insurance in addition to your

full coverage bike policies?

I have been wondering about it.

Because really even with 1st class full policy I am not positive of what is the medical coverage limits for myself.

When you see this attachment does it mean I am covered 500k?

Or is that just the liability for 3rd party as in the person I injure?

Which I believe it is & my coverage for medical is only 50k

I have been meaning to ask the company themselves

but maybe someone here already knows?

If it is only 50k I would start looking for an accident policy to supplement this.

But I would also be pretty surprised if 1st class only covered that amount.

But I think I am reading it right

Then again I was surprised the theft/total damage to bike was only 130k from day 1

although the bike was closer to 160k new

Edited by mania

I am just in the process as i want liability and medical. The medical seems low and last i checked health policies dont usually cove bike accidents.

heres my quote

That is very inexpensive actually.

I pay close to 10k for mine

But is this an additional accident policy add-on to your 1st class?

Yes about that accident not covering mc accident I had heard that too.

^^ The difference is your has bike coverage my quote doesnt so not so cheap....What i am looking for is 1,000,000 liability and 1,000,000 accident medical,No bike insurance as i know its not available,,Really 50,000 is a joke for medical even in thailand,,,

^^ The difference is your has bike coverage my quote doesnt so not so cheap....What i am looking for is 1,000,000 liability and 1,000,000 accident medical,No bike insurance as i know its not available,,Really 50,000 is a joke for medical even in thailand,,,

Ah I see

Yes 50k is good for minor road rash

But anything real 50k would not scratch the surface.

I have a high limit credit card from the US I carry

as my health insurance for now.

But I would like to find something like what you describe.

Maybe AA will chime in with some info ?

i luckily never needed medical coverage but with my old bike broke mirror and side window on a brand new accord...total cost was around 15k thb...i had to pay anything and also the bike (ducati) was fixed (mirror handguards and fender) with the insurance covering all...funny thing is that the following year the ibsurance cost was lower..seem that the "bonus malus" system do not apply here...

anyway i maybe be paranoid but as someone mentioned already...what happens if u crash some expensive car or hit someone? i really feel safer to have full coverage...that is anyway a small cost compared to what we pay here for riding the bike we like..

I have a personal accident insurance with AXA which covers 200,000 medical expenses and 2,000,000 in case of death (1,000,000 in case of death on motorcycle) and some other things like dismemberment, etc.

Its 7,000Baht per year. I did this bc i want to be insured with other sports i do too.

Together with my motorcycle first class (50,000B) its 250,000B for medical expenses. Still not much sad.png

• Like 1

Ah I see

Yes 50k is good for minor road rash

But anything real 50k would not scratch the surface.

I have a high limit credit card from the US I carry

as my health insurance for now.

But I would like to find something like what you describe.

Maybe AA will chime in with some info ?

We can offer over 600,000 Baht in medical expenses on a PA policy BUT please note these can only be used for accidents - true Medical Insurance pays for everything including accidents (on bikes !) and any other medical problems.

• Like 1

We can offer over 600,000 Baht in medical expenses on a PA policy BUT please note these can only be used for accidents - true Medical Insurance pays for everything including accidents (on bikes !) and any other medical problems.

May I ask do you have a Thailand only policy? ( True Medical type )

Every time I look at policies they want to quote world coverage & yet the USA where I am from is usually

exempted nor do I want coverage there.

If you have an affordable Thailand only coverage I would be interested

Edited by mania