Dangerous Areas/Areas to Avoid?

simplyA

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to Chiang Mai in September, and as I look for houses to rent (we have a dog so we need a house, as from what I've heard most apartments/condos will not allow pets) I'm wondering if there are any sketch neighbourhoods I need to avoid. Any advice welcome!

Thanks!

This isn't in regards to safety, but unless you enjoy the sound of low flying large jets flying over your home, I would avoid any neighborhood that is under the flight path of the airport (and the military planes). All the dogs around us would also go totally bananas as they passed over, so I'm sure it is stressful for pets as well as humans.

That was our first mistake when I moved here and we couldn't wait for our lease to end so we could move.

I d also worrie about areas that might flood during rainy season .. I agree with the other poster as well noise from the airport is something to also consider ... But as far as being safe its about the same where ever you go here ...

Thanks! I didn't even think of that aspect of the airport...definitely a good thing to bear in mind! Which areas typically flood? I'll be working out of Nong Hoi, so I was thinking somewhere around there....

There are many areas which have flooded over the years, including Nong Hoi. But there are some nice houses around there.

Thanks! I didn't even think of that aspect of the airport...definitely a good thing to bear in mind! Which areas typically flood? I'll be working out of Nong Hoi, so I was thinking somewhere around there....

There are many areas which have flooded over the years, including Nong Hoi. But there are some nice houses around there.

Here is a flood map for your perusal, good luck with your planned move!

• Like 1

Look at the Mae Jo Road, but not too far along, its a good area

with plenty of amenities, Banks ,Shops, Markets,Supermarkets,

and the new Central Festival Mall will be opening and will only

be 10/15 mins away, so no need to venture into town ,everything

is here for your daily needs.

But as you have a dog don't move next to me !(joking )

regards Worgeordie

and has easy access to all areas of Chiang Mai via the Super Highway,

2nd Ring Road, and 3rd Ring Roads been only minutes away.

This isn't in regards to safety, but unless you enjoy the sound of low flying large jets flying over your home, I would avoid any neighborhood that is under the flight path of the airport (and the military planes). All the dogs around us would also go totally bananas as they passed over, so I'm sure it is stressful for pets as well as humans.

That was our first mistake when I moved here and we couldn't wait for our lease to end so we could move.

That's a great point. Where are the major flight paths for the airport?

North and south of the airport only.

Security shouldn't be a real problem for you, as with family, someone will most likely be around the home most of the time. Break-in while people are home are quite rare. They happen, but less than you would find in any city. A greater concern would be, as said before, flood zones, noisy soi dogs, and night-time karaoke bars. It would pay for you to look at a prospective home daytime AND on a Friday night.

• Like 1

What's wrong! Too many girl students?

I would concur with the above remarks and would also avoid Santitham.

Too many 'undesirables' and thefts. A friend who owns a business there has had to get a security guard to stay there at night. He said that he has lost count of how many attempted break ins at night he has had over the last 5 years or so.

I have been living near Santitam for nearly 8 years and I disagree about the negative comments regarding this place. I've never had/encountered any problems there (touch wood). I think a lot of people assume because part of it is poor and there are a few bars, here and there, that it is unsafe but it's fine if you're not looking for trouble.. Moreover I would rather live there than a soul-less gated community miles away from the heart of the city

I don't live in a "soul-less gated community", but would never live in the center of the city. I prefer some greenery. I can look out my windows on 3 sides and see nothing but the jungle as far as the eye can see.

I have been living near Santitam for nearly 8 years and I disagree about the negative comments regarding this place. I've never had/encountered any problems there (touch wood). I think a lot of people assume because part of it is poor and there are a few bars, here and there, that it is unsafe but it's fine if you're not looking for trouble.. Moreover I would rather live there than a soul-less gated community miles away from the heart of the city

I don't live in a "soul-less gated community", but would never live in the center of the city. I prefer some greenery. I can look out my windows on 3 sides and see nothing but the jungle as far as the eye can see.

Well good for you! You only have to worry about the snakes and spiderstongue.png

Well good for you! You only have to worry about the snakes and spiderstongue.png

or being killed by a drunk driver on your way to or from the City.

• Like 1

Nong Hoi is ground zero for flooding so is Charoen Muang Road.

• Like 1

Nimanheimin road is one, theres a plane flying over now as i type.

I agree--my first stomping grounds when i arrived spent 5+ months there and still like the area--no probs

I would concur with the above remarks and would also avoid Santitham.

I know Santitham has a reputation for being dodgy, but I like it here. I can only assume that it earned this rep quite some time ago as currently its not deserved IMO.

Also, be careful of the following:

Nimmanhaminda Rd area as local Thai's have been known to shoot wildly at bars etc.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/655991-no-good-deed-chiang-mai-ex-pat-shot-by-man-he-tried-to-help/

Don't approach any 7-11's where uniformed high school students are hanging around. They are known to be Japanese samurai in disguise.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/651328-thai-yai-samurai-motorcycle-gang-doing-drive-by-crimes-in-cm/

Anywhere near Loi Kroh Rd or in front/near Spicy after midnight.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/652935-tourist-police-arrest-foreigners-in-knife-fight-in-chiang-mai/

Eating out

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628480-smog-in-northern-provinces-threatens-public-health/

Anywhere in Chiang Mai during the months of March and April.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628480-smog-in-northern-provinces-threatens-public-health/

At or near the local Karaoke

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/638081-foreigner-beaten-by-tuk-tuk-drivers-after-not-paying-extortionate-fee-at-karaoke-bar/

At the hospitals

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647015-local-hospital-kills-elderly-man-after-unknowingly-injecting-wrong-blood-type/

You sure you want to move here?

Haha I'll take my chances

Where do you live now? I also really like a little green space, especially since I love to run...it's super depressing/difficult to run downtown any city...

"I am obviously going to check things out first and look at the places we apply to, but I do think a big part of the knowledge you gain about a city is from people who have lived in a city for a while (I dunno...maybe like the people in this forum?). I won't have any friends who live in chiang mai or have lived there when we move so I don't have any other access to local knowledge at this time... But I would also really like to start getting a feel for the place before I even do anything."

Absolutely. Relocating was much harder before the internet. I subscribed to the newspaper of a distant town for a few months when considering a move. Now you can get quite comfortable with a place before you even move there and start to dig deeper into the local scene. Good luck.

• Like 1

Been living in Santitham for 6 years and haven't had any problems with attempted break-ins and find the neighbours are friendly and helpful too. Also enjoy watching the footie in Santitham Plaza without any hassle

Yeah its a nice place to watch football as long as there isnt a Man U match on, as thats all that they will show.... unless of course you actually go to watch Man U (which would be very unfortunate) thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I lived in the South Bronx and never had a problem but I wouldn't recommend you go there, even if you are from WestHam!