Shoe brand Scholl's Thailand not good value

hermespan

At least you have to look very carefully and test. When I was a kid Scholl's shoes were like Clark's or brands nowadays like Rockport - but with more of a foot health than quality emphasis. Perhaps this is true in Canada as well and indicative of the times, but I am recently reminded that Scholl's sold in Thailand at the department store in Banglampoo are not investments but fashion.

I bought three pair because there was a 10-15% sale on. I regret buying ANY of them. I took an hour going through the huge selection trying to find the perfect pair. One pair I really wanted because they had excellent arch support had construction that was slightly uncomfortable so I didn't get them. Although my Rockport runners are comfy they give no arch support (I insert) and in Asia where I am constantly taking my shoes on and off they are impractical. But the shoes priced between 900 and 1200 before discount (so not cheap street stsll shoes) they all have major faults. The best of the bunch have PLASTIC soles - I presimed they were rubber. I slipped three times in the rain, so useless in rainy season. The other two tear up my feet making me wear bandaids - presumably because of the cheap materials and poor design.

is there any Thai brand of weather suitable strap on velcro sandals that are Mercedes quality? I am not going to buy imported shoes more suitable to London, Berlin snd New York. I am not trying to press women with my wealth nor do I requirer even 'casual' shoes. I see cheap shoes, fashion shoes, luxury shoes, disappointing 'health' shoes but no tropical weather shoes for durability, safety, comfort and support. My budget is THB2000.

Most people here seem to wear Thai brands like Adda with Velcro versions that sell for around 200 baht. Maybe not Mercedes quality but they do the job for many including me. I had a couple of pairs of good sandals when I first came to Thailand but they fell apart in the humidity. Thais seem to be able to wear anything so if you have problems with fit and comfort then it isn't going to be easy finding anything off the shelf, having western size feet doesn't help either.

There is one line of sandals here that Scholl sells that is outstanding for those with fallen arches. I don't recall the name, but I buy several pairs of them for kicking around in, and they have an arch similar to Nike built in. I think they might have a velcro model, but I don't like Velcro. Take a look at Central Dept. stores or at The Mall and you might change your mind. In terms of durability, I think they are great, lasting years, without problems. Around 800-1200/pair.

next up on thai visa an expat admits -- "I don't like my pants".

When I got here a long time ago scholl were the flip flop of choice. quite expensive for the time and very comfortable. also very likely to be gone if you left them anywhere for any amount of time. i reckon i lost about 3 pair before i gave up.

scholl_aquajet.jpg

I believe the scholl ethos was that you had to grip with your toes and this was good for your legs and back.

At least that was what my mother believed

She swore by scholl for her gardening shoes, but they were clogs, wooden lowers with leather uppers.

regarding your issues,i have no idea nor have i ever had any problem with footwear.

I personally own a few pairs of puma and adidas and k swiss trainers as well as a couple pairs of sanuk flip flops,which i spend most of my time in.

SMS2138-CAMO_1.jpg

SMS2480-TAN_1.jpg

i also have some fluevogs which i don't wear often , but will never die and are great walking shoes. best is when someone recognizes them.

with suits:

composite.jpg

with jeans:

composite.jpg

I do get a laugh at people wearing copy shoes though, because generally they are the ones sliding about and i see it daily

Damn, i just realized i am a shoe whore.

• Like 1

I used to buy clarks in Thailand. But they are expensive. So I tried a few other brands. Most were just a waist of money. Adda, kitti, walkers, heavy, they all lasted less than a month.

Now I buy shoes at udom eek. The findig brand is ok. They have leather shoes/sandals that sell for less than 1000B.

Don't buy shoes with air soles there, they will break within a month. I bought sandals in udom eek that look 100% identical to the clarks air models. The clarcks last 1 or 2 years, the copy lasts less than 1 month.

Most clarks sold in Thailand are made in Vietnam. Ecco is produced in Thailand. So, technically it's possible to produce good quality shoes here. I don't know why there are no Thai companies selling high quality shoes. You can buy a whole, thick cow or buffalo skin (finished leather) in Thailand for a few hundreds baht. The profit on leather shoes is huge.

Edited by kriswillems