Consular Services of the USA

Mapguy

Consular fees retained: In FY 2012, the Bureau of Consular Affairs generated approximately $3.14 billion in consular fee revenue, of which 78% ($2.45 billion) was retained by the Department of State and shared among its regional and functional bureaus. CA is almost entirely fee funded.

Nice to see that those of us who use consular services, and especially non citizens who use it, are funding the operations. At least one governmental operation that's not using taxes paid by everyone (or debt accumulation supposedly to be paid by everyone) to serve a small segment of the population or people not subject to US taxes.

...given complaints about the services and their cost in Chiang Mai.

Not sure why consular services in Chiang Mai are in anyway different from anywhere else.

I have no problem with them. As the previous poster said they pay their way and are not a drain on the tax dollar. I went in Tuesday to renew my pass port they charged me 3,300 baht. That is not a heck of a lot more than I paid ten years ago. The big difference was ten years ago it was in the states and they would not take my money. They made me go to a bank and get a check.

Yes they are going to charge for previous free services but a lot of people will not need to pay for extra pages as their books are going to have many more pages.

Anyone care to comment on the fee for a Notary seal done at the consulate vs back in the real world....... captive audience goughing seems to come to mind....

Yet I have to agree, they do a great job on many of the services rendered.

Caveat...... if you leave the Thainess and their hangups out of the equation

Edited by Gonzo the Face

So Gonzo, US Consul notary fees seem high compared to those in the states?

Well that notary in the States that is cheaper does not have anywhere near the same expenses. He does not have to pay for sending himself, his family, their car and all their household stuff across the ocean and back every 3 years or so. He does not have security costs, He does not have hardship location payments. He does not have to pay for all his family to take an annual trip across the ocean to visit home. He does not have the expensive bureaucratic requirements to meet. He does not have to pay to get his beer, soap, special foods and soda shipped to him from the states.

So not sure about the degree of captive audience gouging and there are other notary options in Chiang Mai which seem to work for most things ------- but they are a gouge too.

Dante99,,,, are you serious in what you write or is it written sarcastically.??????

No way does your text hold any correctness.

Not exactly sure what you are getting at here Gonzo. It has been a while 9 years since I had to use the services of a Notary back home.

Can't remember the cost. apparently you are aware of the current cost. Can you pass that information on please so we can see if it is indeed price gauging.

But $50 U S does not exactly sound like price gauging to me. As has been said earlier on other threads you can always get it done elsewhere and the chances of the person receiving it studding the seal to see if it is an approved United States Seal are small.

Dante99,,,, are you serious in what you write or is it written sarcastically.??????

No way does your text hold any correctness.

Not exactly sure what you are getting at here Gonzo. It has been a while 9 years since I had to use the services of a Notary back home.

Can't remember the cost. apparently you are aware of the current cost. Can you pass that information on please so we can see if it is indeed price gauging.

But $50 U S does not exactly sound like price gauging to me. As has been said earlier on other threads you can always get it done elsewhere and the chances of the person receiving it studding the seal to see if it is an approved United States Seal are small.

If you believe the information posted on Ask.com, the cost of notarial services in the USA as of 2012 ranges from free to $10. I think Gonzo may have a point here. wink.png

Years and years ago, back in the other life, I was a notary. Most of the fees that I charged and I say , if I charged at all was the grand sum of 50 cents. The amount of labor was so insignificant that I just usually did it for zip.

Once I even married a couple, at no charge and even threw in the wedding cake , cuz they were a nice young couple.

That is why I think that the $50. US is a bit on the goughing side. Not a hundred percent sure, but I think back in Florida, the state max is $5.00.

With regard to Dante99's post and why I thought it may have been sarcastic, his list of "He does not Have.....'s" don't seem to fit. I cannot see anyone moved over here with the State Department, coming over at their own expense..... etc. but I could be mistaken. Maybe there are some who would pay for such a job, so they can charge $50. per notarization. tongue.png

• Like 1

I think complaints against the fees charged by a government department would better be directed to a person's elected representative.

Another way may be to direct the concern to the US Department of State.

I doubt elected representative from the US read ThaiVisa forums.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

Not that it's of any help whatsoever to me here in Chiang Mai but my bank back in the US provides notarial services free-of-charge to its customers.

That is why I think that the $50. US is a bit on the goughing side. Not a hundred percent sure, but I think back in Florida, the state max is $5.00.

Most other countries consulates that I have had to get similar services were more like 10-20 dollars. As stated back in the US it is usually around 10 dollars sometimes more if you are in an area that makes money off it like Vegas.

50 dollars is a very high rate and even 10 years ago was still 35 dollars here in Chiang Mai. I normally send my papers back to my family and have them get notarized. Saving about 30-40 dollars even though takes about 2 weeks to get it back.

US Consulates in other countries don't charge as much as here either but still a lot more than 10 dollars

Not that it's of any help whatsoever to me here in Chiang Mai but my bank back in the US provides notarial services free-of-charge to its customers.

Back in the US, never paid more than $5.00 and that was rare. If I was at work or around town, I could get it for free at either work or my credit union.

And it's not bad enough that they stick you with a $50.00 fee. That is only what you pay if you pay in US$. Pay in baht and you get a lousy exchange rate to boot.

David

Most other countries consulates that I have had to get similar services were more like 10-20 dollars. As stated back in the US it is usually around 10 dollars sometimes more if you are in an area that makes money off it like Vegas.

50 dollars is a very high rate and even 10 years ago was still 35 dollars here in Chiang Mai. I normally send my papers back to my family and have them get notarized. Saving about 30-40 dollars even though takes about 2 weeks to get it back.

US Consulates in other countries don't charge as much as here either but still a lot more than 10 dollars

Zeichen,

I think the State Department is an equal opportunity gouger. According to its website, $50.00 is the charge in any country.

David

WHAT FEES ARE CHARGED FOR CONSULAR NOTARIAL AND AUTHENTICATION SERVICES ABROAD? Effective July 13, 2010 there is a $50.00 fee for each notarial service. Also effective July 13, 2010, there is a $50.00 fee for each authentication service provided by a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Fees may be paid in cash or by certified check or money order. No personal checks are accepted. Certified checks or money orders should be made payable to the American embassy or consulate. (For example, American Embassy Kingston.)

http://travel.state.gov/law/judicial/judicial_2086.html

Note:

HOW DO YOU GET A DOCUMENT NOTARIZED OVERSEAS? Consular officials at any U.S. embassy or consulate abroad can provide a service similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States. It is also possible to have a document notarized by a local foreign notary and then have the document authenticated by the appropriate foreign authority in a country party to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalization of Foreign Public Documents (which includes notarial documents).

Lots of other information on that page.

The current fees for Notarial services at US Consuls was published before being raised to the amount and responses were being asked for.

http://travel.state.gov/law/judicial/judicial_2086.html

Note:

HOW DO YOU GET A DOCUMENT NOTARIZED OVERSEAS? Consular officials at any U.S. embassy or consulate abroad can provide a service similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States. It is also possible to have a document notarized by a local foreign notary and then have the document authenticated by the appropriate foreign authority in a country party to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalization of Foreign Public Documents (which includes notarial documents).

Lots of other information on that page.

The current fees for Notarial services at US Consuls was published before being raised to the amount and responses were being asked for.

Well how about that......

They asked for responses....... didn't say anything about listening or heeding or even considering the response opinion..... just...well we asked. and then we did what we wanted to anyhow...

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Well that notary in the States that is cheaper does not have anywhere near the same expenses. He does not have to pay for sending himself, his family, their car and all their household stuff across the ocean and back every 3 years or so. He does not have security costs, He does not have hardship location payments. He does not have to pay for all his family to take an annual trip across the ocean to visit home. He does not have the expensive bureaucratic requirements to meet. He does not have to pay to get his beer, soap, special foods and soda shipped to him from the states.

So not sure about the degree of captive audience gouging and there are other notary options in Chiang Mai which seem to work for most things ------- but they are a gouge too.

I would think that the U.S. government pays for their relocation expenses. Security costs? U.S. government pays that too.

The fees are indeed on the high side but they do a great job IMHO. My experience with them for numerous notaries, recording my child's birth, getting passports, etc. has all been 100% positive. AND, the people at the C.M. Consulate are genuinely nice, helpful people. Can't say the same for most government workers in the USA.

• Like 1

I would think that the U.S. government pays for their relocation expenses. Security costs? U.S. government pays that too.

The fees are indeed on the high side but they do a great job IMHO. My experience with them for numerous notaries, recording my child's birth, getting passports, etc. has all been 100% positive. AND, the people at the C.M. Consulate are genuinely nice, helpful people. Can't say the same for most government workers in the USA.

The government pays those fees and they receive the notary fees also. The person signing the document does not get to keep the fees. Probably doesn't even get any extra pay for doing it.

Has anyone ever tried getting something authenticated by anyone other than the Consulate?

That is not legal and whoever is doing this for you could lose their bond and license. They have to record in a book that you were physically in their presence. A friend in the USA who is a Notary was subpoenaed to court once and had to describe the person whose signature he notarized. Fortunately he had all the notes in his book and recalled the woman very well as she was acting very strange.

• Like 1

That is not legal and whoever is doing this for you could lose their bond and license. They have to record in a book that you were physically in their presence. A friend in the USA who is a Notary was subpoenaed to court once and had to describe the person whose signature he notarized. Fortunately he had all the notes in his book and recalled the woman very well as she was acting very strange.

I was a notary and I had to testify regarding signatures also. I believe that only happened to me once.

I think complaints against the fees charged by a government department would better be directed to a person's elected representative.

I doubt if they read the complaints they get either.

I doubt if they read the complaints they get either.

My representatives or their staff answer my inquiries.

• Like 1

The US consulate notarization is good in any state in the US.  The state notary's are just that:  Good for only one state.   Maybe that's why they charge more.

I think the notarial act is accepted. However, the act can only be performed in the jurisdiction the notary is appointed to.

When I was a notary3 I could only perform notarial acts in the judicial district I was appointed in - the act was accepted where anyone in the US required a notarized act.

• Like 1

The US consulate notarization is good in any state in the US. The state notary's are just that: Good for only one state. Maybe that's why they charge more.

I think the notarial act is accepted. However, the act can only be performed in the jurisdiction the notary is appointed to.

When I was a notary3 I could only perform notarial acts in the judicial district I was appointed in - the act was accepted where anyone in the US required a notarized act.

Well, that shoots my theory down :)

Years and years ago, back in the other life, I was a notary. Most of the fees that I charged and I say , if I charged at all was the grand sum of 50 cents. The amount of labor was so insignificant that I just usually did it for zip.

Once I even married a couple, at no charge and even threw in the wedding cake , cuz they were a nice young couple.

With regard to Dante99's post and why I thought it may have been sarcastic, his list of "He does not Have.....'s" don't seem to fit. I cannot see anyone moved over here with the State Department, coming over at their own expense..... etc. but I could be mistaken. Maybe there are some who would pay for such a job, so they can charge $50. per notarization. tongue.png

The State Department pays those expenses for their person who does the notarizations and that is why the State Department charges so much, the person they have to do it is a very expensive person when you include all the costs related to them and where they work. The guy doing it stateside does not have those expenses.