Non-o Westerner newly married to a westerner

Hi I recently married a foreigner who has a one year M visa. (Media).

I just resigned the country and left my job so gave up my non-b and wp. As we didn't have the marriage certificate when we were in the states I could not apply there.

I am now in Phuket.. awaiting my marriage certificate and on a tourist. :( visa.

Can I apply in Thailand as a dependent for the o?

I am actually the wife and he the husband but in this case with his visa bank balance is not an issue. Thank you

You can get a 12 month extension as a dependant .

2.20 In the case of a family

member of an alien who has been permitted temporary

stay under clauses 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6,2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13,2.4, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17,

2.21, 2.22,2.26,6.29 of this Order (applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of

his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) Proof of family relationship;

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto;

You can get an extension of stay as her dependent under clause 2.20 of police order.

You will need original and copy of marriages certificate plus copies passport including her extension of stay stamp. And of course the normal copies of your passport and etc.

If you do not already have a non immigrant visa entry you will have to make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa before you can get the extension. You will need same documents as I mentioned for the extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

Visas are generally obtained from a Thai consulate, ie outside outside Thailand. The exception is when one has travelled to Thailand without a non-immigrant visa and wants to do a type of extension for which a non-immigrant visa is a prerequisite. In such case, if the applicant qualifies for the extension, sometimes with exception of the seasoning period for money in a Thai bank account, the immigration office can issue the appropriate non-immigrant visa, giving the regular 90-day permission to stay towards the end of which the application for the extension is then made.