Ex-slave labourer tells gruesome tales of torture, murder on Thai trawlers

Lite Beer

Ex-slave labourer tells gruesome tales of torture, murder on Thai trawlers
Saowanee Nimpanphayungwong
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- A fishing trawler crewman said that many of them are slave labourers, with some murdered or brutally tortured by skippers on a regular basis if they refuse to work or try to resist punishment, among gruesome revelations from him.

The informant, with a false name of Sak, said he was once stabbed in the stomach and almost died because of pain and bad hygiene. Sak said he had to put his protruding intestines back into his stomach and narrowly survived thanks to the meagre amount of food and water provided to him secretly by fellow crewmen.

He said many crewmen died of injury trauma and their bodies were thrown into the sea. "The number of people killed is countless. People are constantly getting beaten up, tortured and killed, he added.

Sak recently escaped from a trawler which had bought him from a few others who had forced him to work with no or little pay for 20 years, after being first lured into working on a trawler that operated off the shore of Songkhla. He later visited his unspecified home province and lodged a complaint with Pavena Hongsakul Charity Foundation, which was founded by Social Development and Human Security Minister Pavena.

Talking about the most gruesome punishment he had witnessed, Sak said a crewman, who was caught planning to escape, had his arms and ankles tied to ropes fastened to two trawlers. His body was torn to pieces when the trawlers moved forward. "This was aimed at scaring the others from trying to escape," he added.

Sak said such slave trade and forced labour was still practised in the South with assistance from corrupt officials. The trawler skippers also pay a monthly fee to the officials every month.

He said there were about 100 Thai men forced to work hard labour on many trawlers, and a large number were detained at brothels or karaoke bars where hostesses doubled as forced prostitutes. The crewmen are detained at these places until it was their turn to return to their vessels or until they had spent all their money.

"When the trawlers return to the shores, the crewmen are controlled or detained at several locations. They are later told to visit brothels, or brought to such places, where they can spend all the money on liquor and women, so they don't have any money left if they want to escape," said Sak, now 39, after spending 20 years as a slave labourer.

Sak said he was paid Bt500 a year. He said the biggest amount he got was Bt4,000 from a sympathetic trawler, which he spent at a brothel. Any leftover cash was seized by the skippers when he returned to his vessel.

Thailand is a country where human trafficking is still practised. Authorities have been blamed for giving little attention to the problem. Thailand has been ranked Tier 2 for three years running in a watchlist, and if it fails to get up to Tier 1 it may be slide down to Tier 4, which will affect the country's seafood exports.

Pavena said she believed that there were many trawlers who did not practise slave labour. She vowed to take drastic action against skippers found to have forced people to work on their vessels.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-11

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are later told to visit brothels, or brought to such places, where they can spend all the money on liquor and women, so they don't have any money left if they want to escape," said Sak, now 39, after spending 20 years as a slave labourer.

That is a horrible, sad, story. Shame on Thailand.

However, in his 20 years of being a slave, not once did he think he shouldn't blow his money on booze and hookers, and instead plan an escape and use that money to help fund it?

• Like 2

They are later told to visit brothels, or brought to such places, where they can spend all the money on liquor and women, so they don't have any money left if they want to escape," said Sak, now 39, after spending 20 years as a slave labourer.

However, in his 20 years of being a slave, not once did he think he shouldn't blow his money on booze and hookers, and instead plan an escape and use that money to help fund it?

I think in the next sentence it states if they returned to the trawlers with money it was seized by the captain anyway, so may as well blow it so to speak.

• Like 1

The previous story yesterday on this forum about massive human trafficking encampments on the island of Tarutao was even more troubling. Doubtful that Thais or any Thai big wigs in the fishing industry will do anything to curtail this human trafficking. The UN should investigate this, especially since the park at Tarutao has been declared a UNESCO site.

I have no doubt that life on a Thai trawler would be tough, but some of his statements come across as pure BS. Living in a fishing area, I am yet to see the armed guards waiting to take crews to their secured shore locations or being "forced" to spend their money on booze and broads.

Banks are not that scarce - in fact you can deposit money via 7-11, if you have the will. But I might have a few regrets if after 20 years hard work, I had nothing to show for it.

You are speaking as someone with a some level of education i presume- but these guys unfortunetly have probably never had any level of education and potentially do not possess the ability of forethought.

• Like 2

Sak said a crewman, who was caught planning to escape, had his arms and ankles tied to ropes fastened to two trawlers. His body was torn to pieces when the trawlers moved forward. "This was aimed at scaring the others from trying to escape," he added

I guess escape was a scary prospect.

• Like 1

BANGKOK - Thai authorities have arrested and charged a suspected human trafficker who allegedly sold hundreds of migrants from Myanmar into slavery to work in Thailand's fishing industry, police said Saturday.

Ko Myo, a 42-year-old Myanmar national, was captured in a raid by police and justice officials on Aug. 1 in Thailand’s southern province of Surat Thani and faces human trafficking charges, said Police Maj. Gen. Chavalit Sawangpuech.

"This is a very significant case as Ko Myo is the leader of one of most notorious human trafficking rings in Thailand," Chavalit said. "He is an agent with a large client base, who has abused his own countrymen on Thai soil for 10 years."

Ko Myo is being held in custody at a hospital after sustaining gunshot wounds during the raid.

And here we see the official confirmation of slavery.

One is forced to ask as to how this situation could have been ongoing with this particular character and his accomplices ( clients) for some ten years?

Alien labour, no checks by the immigration or labour departments?

One wonders how such a situation of inaction can be ongoing for some ten years with this one person alone.

Are the police the immigration and labour department officials along with also pursuing cases against the fishing boat owner operators,and if not why not ?

The total inaction over a decade that is admitted to succinctly sums up the malignant effluvia of corruption within the fishing industry and the assorted government departments as well as the administrative officials who no doubt had great interest in stipends received via large white envelopes,

However those same creatures had a total disinterest concerning the kidnapped nationals of Myanmar and no doubt other nationalities as well as any Thai national who may well have been enslaved.

Edited by siampolee

Taking the OP at face value, it seems surreal that incidents like this can be happening, rather be allowed to happen in this day and age anywhere in the world.

To me it is another wakeup call that there still exists a tier of life running parallel to the one where most people are.

Note to self: Whenever you think you are having a bad day, perhaps it isn't that bad after all.

• Like 1

Everybody who does not believe these story should google"From the tiger to the crocodile", a 2010 report from HRW about the abuse of migrant workers in Thailand. Be careful it is not an easy read and describes really good the involvement of Government officials, especially the Police.

Edited by hanuman2543
  • Like 2

The previous story yesterday on this forum about massive human trafficking encampments on the island of Tarutao was even more troubling. Doubtful that Thais or any Thai big wigs in the fishing industry will do anything to curtail this human trafficking. The UN should investigate this, especially since the park at Tarutao has been declared a UNESCO site.

Did it again - somehow sent the above quote with no comment. I just wanted to note that the UN seems interested only when the victims of human trafficking age female. They provide plenty of reports and comments via various UN funded bodies (UNIFEM, UNICEF) on teafficking, but rarely mention males being trafficked. The local fishing industry for years has been notorious for using Burmese boys and men who are enslaved through different means.

Human trafficking, forced labour, torture, murder....... good job this is the Land of Smiles otherwise it night seem more like hell. sad.png

Blackbeard alive and well!

BW

Actually Blackbeard's ship as well as a lot of pirate ships of that era were run on very democratic grounds - hence piracy in those times being an attractive alternative to the regular navy.

...except that the good guy kneecapped his fellow crewmembers on a regular basis. ("If I don`t kill somebody once in a while, people forget who I am...") The comparison also holds when it comes to standards of food and hygiene, which were deplorable already in the Merchant Marine and in the Navy, but unsustainable on the Pirate boats. The good thing was, unlike these Trawler captains of today, they all knew that the henchman awaited with deadly certainty

I have no doubt that life on a Thai trawler would be tough, but some of his statements come across as pure BS. Living in a fishing area, I am yet to see the armed guards waiting to take crews to their secured shore locations or being "forced" to spend their money on booze and broads.

Banks are not that scarce - in fact you can deposit money via 7-11, if you have the will. But I might have a few regrets if after 20 years hard work, I had nothing to show for it.

These "slaves" often never come ashore. They've even found boats anchored off islands nearby where they are taken to from time to time. As for money, they just never get it. They are scammed one way or another and at the end of the month, have nothing to show for their work. Complain and they are beaten. Or worse, killed. Bodies wash up on shore here all the time. It's a horrible practice and is support by government corruption here.

Here's a good show to watch:

http://www.aljazeera.com/video/asia-pacific/2013/05/20135293350699702.html

And a good article:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/thailand/130621/thailand-human-trafficking-us-state-department-sanctions-fish-export

BANGKOK, Thailand Their condition recalls dark tales from the 18th century: underfed men lorded over by seafaring captains who pay them nothing and maim the disobedient.

Yet these forced labor abuses play out on Thai-owned fishing trawlers each day. And the victims typically destitute men from Myanmar or Cambodia lured by coyotes full of false promises continue to wash ashore with accounts of torture and casual homicide.

Here in Rayong there are frequently bodies washed up, probably Cambodians as there are a lot of them working here under what are basically slave labour conditions.

Does anybody expect more from a nation that survives on lies, corruption, extortion, human trafficking, murder, torture, beating up old people, abusing women. narcotics, alcohol, no wonder its called the land of smiles.(because its people can do nothing else to hide the shame)

Labeling the nation as all that! ,Oh my word! ....Anyways I will do something similar..... I expect no more from Thai-Visa posters that get off on moaning and complaining about the Land they live in...Not nice is it!

Edited by Changnoi2

Does anybody expect more from a nation that survives on lies, corruption, extortion, human trafficking, murder, torture, beating up old people, abusing women. narcotics, alcohol, no wonder its called the land of smiles.(because its people can do nothing else to hide the shame)

Labeling the nation as all that! ,Oh my word! ....Anyways I will do something similar..... I expect no more from Thai-Visa posters that get off on moaning and complaining about the Land they live in...Not nice is it!

maybe its not nice to hear, but take off your rose coloured tints and you'll see its all that and more, sadly..bah.gif

Edited by andreandre

It would be very easy for the authorities to catch those demons in the trawling business.

Just bring Sak at the place and let him point to whoever involved in inhumane doings.

But how, if the owners has "big connections"?