Colombo Airport.... Anyone been ?

pattayadingo

I'm flying via Colombo with Sri Lankan Airways.

What is Colombo Airport like?

Any hassles at the airport?

Anywhere for a wash and brush up?

Check in / connection flight problems/

Security hassles for bags etc?

Anything of note?

Colombo airport is very small, just a few duty free shops and a couple of restaurants, at least one of which supplies alcohol. If your stopover is longer than 8 hours then Sri Lankan usually put you up in a hotel.

I seem to remember there was a place there to have a shower but it's been a couple of years. The last time I was there security was a lot more stringent and we had to go downstairs and queue to go through the security check which was an absolute zoo so watch out for this and don't leave it late.

I always found the Sri Lankan flights very good, modern aircraft, okay food etc.

No special hassles, it's not Changi, it's not even Chiang Mai, it's old but it's functional and all the basic facilities are there. Can't say about wash and brush up though - I rather doubt it.

Colombo airport is very small, just a few duty free shops and a couple of restaurants, at least one of which supplies alcohol. If your stopover is longer than 8 hours then Sri Lankan usually put you up in a hotel.

I seem to remember there was a place there to have a shower but it's been a couple of years. The last time I was there security was a lot more stringent and we had to go downstairs and queue to go through the security check which was an absolute zoo so watch out for this and don't leave it late.

I always found the Sri Lankan flights very good, modern aircraft, okay food etc.

My son passed through Colombo airport two months ago, and was slightly surprised by the number of people in the Men's washroom, who were using the bum-guns to take a full-shower. laugh.png alt=laugh.png>

I can agree with the all the above posts. Small functional airport, nothing to remember, which for an airport is often a good thing. Getting around Columbo is a bit more confusing, but the people are helpful and friendly.

Don't expect much.

Thanks for the info.

Gives me some idea of what to expect.

Obviously a lot better than the Mumbai nightmare was on my last trip.

Morning

I was in CMB airport twice over last three weeks to/from LHR.

First flight Business Class so was put in Business/VIP Lounge , very roomy and excellent staff in the lounge, my transit was 3 hours so took a walk around Terminal and found it very roomy with lots of shops and food outlets.

It was not at all busy and the size of the Transit lounge is adequate, lots of quiet areas to sit

The main reason is only a few flights operate ex CMB every hour unlike other transit points AUH/DXB,

On the return had a 10 hour stopover and was put in the Redwing Beach resort for my duration some 20 mins from airport all free , although both sectors were business class on Sri Lanka

I found Sri Lanka an excellent carrier , service was excellent

Of course going via CMB you avoid the hassle of transit at AUH/DXB and DOH. .

Enjoy yourself

• Like 1

Morning

I was in CMB airport twice over last three weeks to/from LHR.

First flight Business Class so was put in Business/VIP Lounge , very roomy and excellent staff in the lounge, my transit was 3 hours so took a walk around Terminal and found it very roomy with lots of shops and food outlets.

It was not at all busy and the size of the Transit lounge is adequate, lots of quiet areas to sit

The main reason is only a few flights operate ex CMB every hour unlike other transit points AUH/DXB,

On the return had a 10 hour stopover and was put in the Redwing Beach resort for my duration some 20 mins from airport all free , although both sectors were business class on Sri Lanka

I found Sri Lanka an excellent carrier , service was excellent

Of course going via CMB you avoid the hassle of transit at AUH/DXB and DOH. .

Enjoy yourself

Very informative.

Thanks for takling the time to reply with that information.

• Like 1