A lunch worth the money.

FolkGuitar

Get the Empress card and I think it is 15 percent discount.

A great value buffet although the entertainment is too loud so get seating away from the band area. There are larger rooms for parties and the area outside the restaurant are prime positions.

One of our regular haunts.

And it is available every day not just Sundays. Very popular and worth booking a table particularly in the high season.

Edited by Thailand

We used to go there often many years ago, and the quality is even better today than it was in the past. But there has been a change in the clientele. 10 years ago, even 5 years ago, 3/4 of the seating was for small tables, either 2 person or 4 person. The other 1/4 of the room was for tour groups. Today I noticed that it was reversed. 3/4 of the dinning room was set up with long tables for the package tourists, with just 1/4 set up for individuals.

The food variety was staggering. Even going back for a third plate there was just no way to taste everything... though I confess to trying. I even avoided the Steak Fries just to give me more stomach room... And it is this way every day for lunch. And if they are still doing it, they put on a breakfast buffet that is just as mind blowing, including a chef who will make an omelet for you to your specifications as you wait. Tureens full of bacon, sausages, beans, various porridges, cold cuts and cheeses from around the world, and a selection of breads and rolls, both bread and sweet. Even freshly made croissants. And that's just the Western selections. There will be Thai and Chinese selections too, and just as varied.

The music today was quiet and peaceful. A piano and a singer, not loud at all, playing old dinning room standbys; Patti Page, Rosemary Clooney, Doris Day, etc. It was nice. We almost didn't get a seat though, as the place really does fill up, but the Maitre d' put out two more tables for two, right next to the carving chef, so close to the food, but out of the way of the other tables.

And yes, Cooked... this IS the Chiang Mai forum. The Empress Hotel is off Changklan Road in Chiang Mai.

Something I read DID say it was part of some hotel group, but I didn't notice which one.

For my money, the Empress Hotel does the very best buffet breakfast and lunch in Chiang Mai. The Oriental Dara Davi or Shangri-la may offer fresh prawns or oysters, but at three times the price. And they don't come close the variety of foods presented by the Empress Hotel. 15 years ago the Westin almost matched it for variety, but was more expensive.

15 years ago the Westin almost matched it for variety, but was more expensive.

Are you sure about that? I don't remember the Westin/Holiday Inn ever being that expensive until pretty recently. I remember when it was 150 baht, but that was before the 1997 crash of the Thai economy when the baht lost so much value and prices for foreign food went up a lot.

Excuse me, I just reread your post and it was 580 baht for TWO. That is a horse of a different color.

5401443_std.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Ahhh, to 'cooked's defense, if hes using a cellphone and found this topic under most recent, it can be difficult to figure out what section the topic is under... You really have to search for it.

Anyways, Ive only heard about the buffet at the Holiday Inn, I'm really happy to see another review about a buffet on here (I'm America, we love buffets). I'll check it out next week for sure!

Ahhh, to 'cooked's defense, if hes using a cellphone and found this topic under most recent, it can be difficult to figure out what section the topic is under... You really have to search for it.

Anyways, Ive only heard about the buffet at the Holiday Inn, I'm really happy to see another review about a buffet on here (I'm America, we love buffets). I'll check it out next week for sure!

I lived in Riverside Condos a couple of years ago and ate next door at the Holiday Inn buffet a few times.

To me it was as good as any i had eaten at,and i never bothered with the Empress because ;

{1] A couple of mates who ate at both convinced me that the holiday Inn was as good if not better

{2} was easy to waddle back to my condo after over eating to excess..

I can't remember the cost but was always full and you had to be in early to get a table...

Would be interested in hearing a comparison just for future reference as i aim to return to C/M this year.

Now you tell me. I just spent 1,000 baht for two at La Meridian for a 200 baht buffet. Any thing over 500 for two there is highway robbery. I had two vouchers worth 100 baht each or it would have been 1,200 baht. That was with out drinks.

Glad to hear the Empress is so good. There for a while it had kind of fallen behind.

Please keep in mind that the 580 baht cost was for two people but without beer. A couple of bottles would surely increase the cost. Fortunately, we don't drink very often which significantly increases our discretionary spending fund. (The advantages of being of pure heart but boring personality.)

• Like 1

Took some friends to the Empress 6 years ago for brunch 250bht each. The wife and I still talk about how good it was, glad to hear their still keeping up the good work with only a minimal price increase. Outstanding!

Please keep in mind that the 580 baht cost was for two people but without beer. A couple of bottles would surely increase the cost. Fortunately, we don't drink very often which significantly increases our discretionary spending fund. (The advantages of being of pure heart but boring personality.)

Is the the 580B before or after a discount?

The 580 baht for two cost was without any discount.

If wise, make a reservation before you go. Otherwise, get there by at least 11:45. By 12:00 almost all the tables, both inside and outside the main dinning room are filled.

Everyone has different expectations when it comes to foods. I'm sure there will be some people who would think that the meat was too tough, the vegetables over-cooked, or the soup too thin. Others, like myself, will be more than satisfied with what was there. Yes, the beef was a bit tough. This is Thailand. The beef is usually tough. But not too tough to chew and enjoy. The green beans didn't 'snap' when I chewed them. But they were still delicious. You just can't please all the people all the time. Give me a desert of fresh crepe with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce on top and anything else I've eaten becomes a feast.

Took some friends to the Empress 6 years ago for brunch 250bht each. The wife and I still talk about how good it was, glad to hear their still keeping up the good work with only a minimal price increase. Outstanding!

Went there today (Mother's Day) and the price is still 250 baht - add in tax and built-in 10% gratuity and it brings it to 290 per person.

Went there today (Mother's Day) and the price is still 250 baht - add in tax and built-in 10% gratuity and it brings it to 290 per person.

Save 15 per cent with a member card, about THB 200 per annum if I remember correctly.