Problem with guy parking in front of my restaurant

RaysFan

I own a restaurant near the river, and there is a tour company across the street. This guy recently started parking his buses in front of my restaurant... He was parking them illegally at a hotel nextdoor to me, they had to take him to court so he wouldn't park his buses there anymore. So I guess his new parking spot is in front of my restaurant. Legally he is allowed to park there from 10am-330pm during week days and all weekend is ok. Last week around 5pm during a week day I went to him and asked him man to man, to move his bus, its blocking my business.... He told me no, he said he has no place else to park it. So the next day, 5pm, I call the police, reported the bus illegally parked.... Police came and asked him to move it, which he did for about 5 minutes (assuming he just drove around until the police were gone) and then he parked it in front of my restaurant again..... Everyday and night since then its been parked here... and not just his bus, hes parking his cars here now too, and he owns a tuk tuk which hes parking on my sidewalk... I'm 100% sure just to annoy me... Ive talked to the neighbors about him and they all told me hes been in that shop for about 20 years and EVERYONE hates him and his family.....

What do I do? Ive tried police, they dont care.... They wont even write him a parking ticket. Ive talked to him more than 1ce about it... He is basically telling me its my problem, he doesnt care.

Advice?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a chapter from the Phuket Tuk Tuk drivers' handbook,... Oh wait, illegal activity is reserved for the Thai.

Kidding aside, hiring a couple strongmen from your local Muay Thai gym (guys you know and work out with and that respect you) is relatively cheap and effective. Post them as security during the hours you are affected.

Otherwise, attorneys don't really make the problem go away.

• Like 2

I agree with captainrob, post #3. Just get a couple or more vehicles and beat him to the punch and park them in front. That way he'll have to find an alternative parking for his vehicles. And when he does, he might just keep parking them there - hopefully. I agree with another poster, lawyers are expensive and don't guarantee results.

• Like 2

He has a perfect right to park there. You have no control of the road in front of your business. If he is blocking a driveway he is parking ilegally otherwise tough. THe police may try to help you but in the end it is up to him. The only time he may have to move is if there is parking restrictions between certain times.

You sound like a nice bloke to know (not)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Bazt

It's amazing all the things that can go wrong when running a business. Anyhow, since this is not your country, I would first ask if you can buy this guy one beer. try to be as nice as possible, maybe give him some food, and politely tell him you are helping thais and his bus is hurting your ability to help thais. ok, say that doesn't work. I wonder if you can pay for some new construction on this road. maybe a new sidewalk, not sure. if needed, of course. then prolong the work for a long time.

calling the police when you are foreigner is not good. remember, you love this country and will do anything to make anyone happy. you are making him happy via parking spot. so find the happy medium and keep up with yoga and deep breathing exercises.

He has a perfect right to park there. You have no control of the road in front of your business. If he is blocking a driveway he is parking ilegally otherwise tough. THe police may try to help you but in the end it is up to him. The only time he may have to move is if there is parking restrictions between certain times.

You sound like a nice bloke to know (not)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why because I do not consider because someone has rented a shop he owns the road. He does not legaly.

Edited by harrry

He has a perfect right to park there. You have no control of the road in front of your business.

You missed this part? "Legally he is allowed to park there from 10am-330pm during week days and all weekend is ok". They are parking outside of the legal hours.

He is allowed to park at all times that the parking is not restricted. Can you tell me anywhere in Chiangmai that has signs saying no parking from 3.3.o to 10am. I would almost bet not. There are time retrictions between 3.3. and 5.30 or 6 .oo though.

Roads do not belong to the business. SIdewalks do not either though some think they do.

• Like 1