Heirloom or non-GMO seeds in Chiang Mai

connda

I'm looking for a source of certified non-GMO seeds (or heirloom seeds) here in Chiang Mai (city) for planting a vegetable garden. I don't want to inadvertently grow or eat any Franken-foods. xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

May you live in thoroughly boring times. xsleep.png.pagespeed.ic.vIsRP_3VHZ.png zzzzzzzZZZ

I think you're missing part of the picture here. Heirloom seeds you can easily order online, I've done it many times. But not every non-heirloom seed is GMO, in fact most are not.

Many commercially produced seeds are F1 Hybrid seeds, meaning they have many desirable qualities, while being neither heirloom nor GMO. The downside of F1 Hybrids is that you cannot harvest the seeds from the plants again, as the resulting second generation won't grow 'true'; they don't posess those same qualities as the original first generation. (= total crap shoot)

More info: http://www.foodrenegade.com/hybrid-seeds-vs-gmos/

www.panyaproject.org

Permaproject/organic farming project/training school near Mae Taeng. They also produce seeds - cannot be F1 hybrids or GMO as they are all naturally produced.

Email them if you want more info. I'm an organic gardener/farmer and am very impressed with their setup. Actually they welcome visitors - make a daytrip of it and take a tour of the farms, including the seed farm - well worthwhile.

Personally I buy on-line from either US or Australia - easy and cheap. My favourite is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - cheap and reliable and no problem importing into Thailand. They even have many Thai varieties if you are into that.

• Like 1

I live in CM so I posted on the CM forum. I'm not making a trip to Ubon or Udon for seeds. I'll look for seeds that are produced local and used local.

Thanks

Well, it may be that some people in Chiang Mai who are interested in agriculture may visit only that forum.

If your Thai is good…

Organic Agriculture Market Fair ‘JJ Market’

Every Wednesday, Saturday from 5 a.m. till noon.

Link to Citylife CSA article.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3434

Can’t believe at least some of the seeds I buy from Kantar are not organic as the rocket/argula comes from a Dutch company and Europe is mostly on board.

Map link:

(Soi 3 is easy to miss unless you know that there a bunch of tires at the corner.)

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=215240729949613933232.0004e3e2c874230edb942

I've got a large collection of heirloom seeds that you can have for free. They are 2+ years old and maybe not all viable. I do know that the corn still sprouts. Have at least 4 or 5 American Indian varities including the white dent corn used for making masa flour/tortillas and lots of chillis and other miscellaneous seeds. Send me a PM if interested.

Oh, the only payment I would like would be a bit of your harvest..............not much.