Motorcyclist dies after “U-Turn” road crash in North Pattaya

Rimmer

Motorcyclist dies after “U-Turn” road crash in North Pattaya
PATTAYA:--Late on Saturday Night a motorcyclist, who was reportedly returning home after work, collided with a u-turning pick-up truck and later died of his injuries in Hospital.

Police and rescue services were called to the scene of the crash on the Sukhumvit Road in North Pattaya, opposite the Wave Inn Hotel.

The motorbike driver, Khun Adun aged 21, who is a forklift driver for the Celestica Company based in Laem Chabang, was returning home after work and slammed into the left front-side of the pick-up which was undertaking a U-turn maneuver.

The driver of the pick-up, Khun Chainalong aged 26, was driving to a nearby market to collect some items and claimed he did not see the motorbike which approached at high speed according to the driver and witnesses at the scene.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/98721/motorcyclist-dies-u-turn-road-crash-north-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-08-12

Can anyone explain this...how anyone slams into the left side of a u-turning vehicle in Thailand, when all such vehicles are turning right? I could see the back but the left side?

Sad for the guy but not the first and won't be the last.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I would just love to see a post, where someone actually takes the blame, for doing something stupid. Guess it will never happen.

Your insurance policy requires you NOT to admit blame in the event of an accident or your claim can be void - worldwide terms and conditions.

A lawyer would advise you never to admit blame/responsibility when arrested without seeking legal advice first - a legal requirement in most western countries that the police must actually warn you of your legal rights at the time of arrest etc.

Unsure of the law in Thailand but if I'm ever accused of having caused an incident then I'm sure not going to put up my hand and shout "I dun it Officer, lock me up an' frow away the key".

This is about Thailand, not somewhere else. I know my insurance policy in the states and Europe says nothing about cannot admit responsibility. Im sure there are many Somjai's that have no insurance, so cant use that as an excuse. Besides, I was speaking in general terms, not just about traffic accidents. The blame is always on the other party.

I used to work on that industrial estate. I used to count how many motorbikes with factory workers on them did not have a functioning set of back and front lights. It was an amazing 30%. 30% did not have either a functioning headlight or taillight. I did not add to that total the riders who placed objects in the basket obscuring a functioning headlight.

If you are a pick-up driver making a U-turn, it is very hard to see a motorbike without a headlight. Don't know if that is what happened here. Witnesses did mention the motorbike travelling at high speed.

U turns have to be one of the most dangerous traffic manoeuvres on the planet.

The u-turning vehicle is invariably going to come against fast moving vehicles, in the outside lane, and he wants to get into a nearside lane.

I would ban ALL u-turns that are not traffic light controlled.

Evidence suggests that roundabouts will prove too much of a challenge for Thais.

• Like 1