Whats with the racist Europeans who act like they own the place?

OnMyWay2

I went to wong amat the other day just looking for a hotel and I get this look of death from a fat European guy on a bike. Not sure if he was Russian or maybe British.

This is only the second time this has happened to me in Pattaya so it's not like this is a widespread problem. The Thais dont have a racist bone in their body but some of them are becoming trained by devils like this one.

• Like 1

Not sure what kind of look you witnessed but it is a sad fact that many older Europeans you see in Pattaya have at least a sad look on their face or even an angry one. I have many Bangkok based friends who have commented on this when visiting. Nothing racial as they seem to be just angry at everyone.

This person is trying to provoke people to give examples of racist behaviour by Thais. Moderators don't seem to mind, maybe they shouldn't.

I havent experienced any racism by thais. Maybe theres an anti frang sentiment but thats different. Plus Id say at least they are justified to dislike foreigners since they actually do own the place.

But this isn't about that.

Edited by OnMyWay2

This person is trying to provoke people to give examples of racist behaviour by Thais. Moderators don't seem to mind, maybe they shouldn't.

I havent experienced any racism by thais. Maybe theres an anti frang sentiment but thats different. Plus Id say at least they are justified to dislike foreigners since they actually do own the place.

Why is anti f-rang sentiment immune from the racism label?

• Like 1

Xenophobia. Is the word i was looking for. Not the same as racism. But im just now realizing that maybe it's just me I dont experience racism from Thais but I have dark skin and could almost pass for thai. I dont think they call me farang but something else.

So For all I know the Thais could be racist towards Europeans or some other groups.

Edited by OnMyWay2

Huh? The word 'farang' means caucasian, which is a race. If there is an anti-farang sentiment, that is by definition raciscm.

Why is anti f-rang sentiment immune from the racism label?

Come on Jing, dont encourage them. Despite the OP's dubious contention of a racially tolerant Thai people, you should know that the Thai's are fierce nationalists before they are doggedly racist; it's not about skin colour or ethnicity so much as about what country people come. That way they can hate Burmese, Vietnamese and other similar Asiatic stock just as much as the German or Indian. Funnily enough, they never, ever really hated the Japanese though.

A lot of people can't tell the difference between nationalism and racism since most Caucasians have a grounding in the latter. For example, the Scots can be quite bigoted but they are not essentially racist with the root cause of their bigotry being founded in centuries of religious intolerance. That way they can despise some people that look the same whilst embracing others with a totally different skin colour.

But the OP is all about some vague perception of an assumed Wong Amat-based, elderly farangs presumed racial hatred? Without the OP clearly stating his/her own ethnicity, race, skin colour and nationality, what he/she was wearing and if he/she was accompanied and if so, by whom or what, we really cannot comment much. The premise is altogether too vague to be awarded troll status.

• Like 1

Xenophobia. Is the word i was looking for. Not the same as racism. But im just now realizing that maybe it's just me I dont experience racism from Thais but I have dark skin and could almost pass for thai. I dont think they call me farang but something else.

So For all I know the Thais could be racist towards Europeans or some other groups.

That's a lot closer than racist but I would still qualify their xenophobia as having a distinct nationalist flavour.

Racism has a broad range of definitions. Everything from race based lynching to positive racism such as assuming an Asian kid in America is going to be great at math. Being treated differently ONLY based on your race is a general acid test, but such different treatment isn't always anything to be overly worked up about.

Huh? The word 'farang' means caucasian, which is a race. If there is an anti-farang sentiment, that is by definition raciscm.

Good luck trying to define racism. It's an extremely broad term of little use. Better of just saying that Thais are known to dislike non-Thais of many different nationalities. Many of these are people of the same race..... so if you're Caucasian and feel the Thais aren't digging you, don't feel special.

Edited by tropo