Fungus on Canon DSLR Camera, where to clean/repair in Bkk or Pattaya ?

There will be a Canon service center in Bangkok you can take it to, perhaps Pattaya too - check their website. Be prepared for them to classify it as 'misused' and charge you. You might check the manual to see what the operating/storage requirements are in regard to temperature, humidity etc in order to prepare your argument.

Are you a Canon Professional photographer? You can get your discounted service done and free loaner equipment in Bangkok at their Sathorn service center (there's a Canon service center at MBK on the 5th floor as well but I'm not sure if they have any free loaner equipment there).

The fungus usually attacks the glue that is used to hold the internal lens elements together. If you leave it long enough it can actually etch the glass lens elements. The lens will need to be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled to get rid of the fungus properly.

In the future you should keep your camera and lenses in a dry box to prevent this happening.

If you visit a good camera store they will have air tight plastic boxes and blocks of blue silica gel desiccant. Store your gear in the box when not using it. As the blocks of desiccant absorb moisture they turn pink. Place them in a low power microwave for 10 minutes so that they get hot, but not hot enough to melt the plastic, and they dry out for reuse.

If you have enough gear then you should get one of the electronic dry boxes. They use a peltier cooler to condense the moisture in the box, then it drains outside where it can evaporate. They even include a humidity gage or controller. You want to keep the humidity in the ca binate somewhere around 40%-50%.

• Like 1

Recommended in Thai language, shop that I will try to visit when at Pattaya:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/เอสดีโฟโต้ดิจิตอล/203746643058750

http://sd-photodigital11.blogspot.com

No review/report in English ?

He is actually very good and charged only Thb 650 to open the lens and clean all camera + lens.

I would avoid Canon as much as I can....

• 4 months later...

I'm with Sunshine51 (ideologically speaking). I really can't see the point of trusting your gear to local "technicians" when the official agent, who will have properly trained staff, the right equipment, and a reputation to protect; has been proven to provide a quality and reasonable service. Over the years I have given all sorts of problems to Canon Thailand and they have never failed to provide prompt, reasonable service; and to do a good job.

Certainly I don't know of anyone in Pattaya I would give my gear to, unless they were going to send it to a repair centre in Bangkok for me. At which point I wish to give a round of applause to Big Camera in Central Beach. My Olympus E-M1 developed a problem after a month of ownership. They took the camera from me on a Monday afternoon and sent a member of staff to Bangkok on the Tuesday to deliver the camera to the Olympus service centre, and nag them until they fixed it immediately. They replaced a part and the camera was back in my hands by 19:30. That's service!

• Like 1

I'm with Sunshine51 (ideologically speaking). I really can't see the point of trusting your gear to local "technicians" when the official agent, who will have properly trained staff, the right equipment, and a reputation to protect; has been proven to provide a quality and reasonable service. Over the years I have given all sorts of problems to Canon Thailand and they have never failed to provide prompt, reasonable service; and to do a good job.

Certainly I don't know of anyone in Pattaya I would give my gear to, unless they were going to send it to a repair centre in Bangkok for me. At which point I wish to give a round of applause to Big Camera in Central Beach. My Olympus E-M1 developed a problem after a month of ownership. They took the camera from me on a Monday afternoon and sent a member of staff to Bangkok on the Tuesday to deliver the camera to the Olympus service centre, and nag them until they fixed it immediately. They replaced a part and the camera was back in my hands by 19:30. That's service!

It only took a day to fit a full frame sensor in it?

tongue.png

tongue.png

biggrin.png

• 4 months later...

My digital Canon Ixus lens was "stuck open " apparently due to a speck of dust . Mr Sumpot of SD Camera seems to be a bit of an

electronic genius since he fixed it in 24 hrs for 900 baht . So glad I eventually found his shop , in a small soi off Soi Buakaw.

Sorry MJP but the lovely , young lady in the official Canon " regional ' office I first visited , is even more of an electronic

genius.
It only took her about 15 seconds to tell me that I needed a new lens , " can fit in Bangkok for 3,900 baht . "

Since a new camera is probably in the region of 6,000 baht I didn't follow her advice , thankfully.

• 4 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 7:12 PM, draggons said:

Wouldn't send any of my gear to anyone but Canon......

Actually my experience was the exact opposite .

The charming ' trained " lady at Canon just took about a second to say ......you need a new lens.

The ' untrained ' Thai genius at SD camera actually dismantled  the camera and  fixed the problem at a very reasonable cost  and gave it back the next day. It works until this day .