burmese and siamese confrontations.

I had a conversation with some friend and he mentioned that the thais have some fear of the burmese ppl and they lost almost every war they had with burma until king thaksin took control and they fought off the burmese invasion. Now i didn't do any research and all of this is just off hand from what i know so hopefully someone can clarify this with me.

Do you think thailand is like the strongest power in the South east asian region right now? Historically i think only burma presented a threat to siam.

Oh yes vietnam is pretty tough too and i remember off hand how vietnam took over cambodian lands after ww2 but i don't know how they fare away thailand.

Any history of Siam / Burma conflicts has to include HM King Naresaun The Great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naresuan

He is credited with expanding the Kingdom to it's greatest territorial coverage to that date. I was at the his memorial Stupa on Sunday, it's situated in Muang Ngai, not far from where he died from probable smallpox after leading his army into Burmese territory.

The Stupa....

1170823_1404559146432699_1841678875_n.jp

A reconstruction of fortifications of the day......

1150297_1404559173099363_568206030_n.jpg

HM King Naresaun The Great.......

1146510_1404559226432691_1814410052_n.jp

I understand that his sister is venerated as a great beauty who prevented a war by marrying into the Burmese Royal family, my information on this is sketchy, I'll try to find out more......

1001721_1404559229766024_1518667959_n.jp

• Like 1

marrying into the enemy's family by preventing a war? Do you consider that selling away your family member?

It doesn't matter what I consider, it was an oft used technique among royalty throughout the world. Designed to strengthen Dynasties and prevent conflict.

If you understand world history then you'll see how fluid the concept of nationhood is, at one time nationhood came via Royal alliances such as this.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

marrying into the enemy's family by preventing a war? Do you consider that selling away your family member?

It doesn't matter what I consider, it was an oft used technique among royalty throughout the world. Designed to strengthen Dynasties and prevent conflict.

If you understand world history then you'll see how fluid the concept of nationhood is, at one time nationhood came via Royal alliances such as this.

The blether, you are a knowedable guy, thanks for clarifying stuff like mixing up family-ties to prevent wars,

Full correct analysies..

Glegolo

• Like 1