Took The Plunge

Jeremiahnewton

Finally did it my wife and I booked our tickets to Thailand. We leave May 3rd and arrive May 4th in Bangkok. Hope to see some the TV member around maybe stage a piss-up who knows. Anyone have any good recommendations for guesthouses near the airport reasonably priced? Yes I have googled it and searched it on the forum. Just want to get some of your honest opinions on the guesthouses maybe one with a long stay option around 250-400 a day or 6,000-9,000 a month.

Finally did it my wife and I booked our tickets to Thailand. We leave May 3rd and arrive May 4th in Bangkok. Hope to see some the TV member around maybe stage a piss-up who knows. Anyone have any good recommendations for guesthouses near the airport reasonably priced? Yes I have googled it and searched it on the forum. Just want to get some of your honest opinions on the guesthouses maybe one with a long stay option around 250-400 a day or 6,000-9,000 a month.

Why do you want to stay near the airport? There are much nicer areas of town to stay in, and a lot closer to the attractions/nightlife/restaurants :o And if you want to rent long term, why a guesthouse? Get an apartment

There is a fairly inexpensive guest house located on Sukumvit Soi 11 called Suk 11 Guest House that might be a good choice for you. I dont have any contact info for you but I think they have a website which you may be able to find via Google. Of course this isn't out near the airport as you requested but may be a better choice. I'll be on Soi 11 this Sunday and will get you their rates, etc. and post it to you.

As promised here is the website/contact info for Suk 11 Guest house.

www.suk11.com

After looking at their web site I noticed that they are a bit more expensive then I originally thought and what you had wanted to pay. Since you are looking to stay a month+ and this is getting into the off-season I suggest e-mailing them and see if you can get a monthly rate. For cheaper digs you may have to look at places in the Khaosan Road area. Good luck.

Hi: I agree with the others. It is not fun to stay near the airport. The traffic is bad and it could take forever to reach the fun places. There may be some small hotels that are inexpensive on Sukumvit Soi 3. Try searching for Raja the tailor and write to them. They are located on Soi 3 and could give you good advice. They love new customers too and make lovely custom tailored clothes.

Be sure to take some tours and visit the waterfront. Mostly, brush up on your bartering skills and remember to smile a lot. Have fun! I envy you as i wish it were me. I lived there for 7 years and am planning to return for retirement. And, please do not touch the folks on their head or show the soles of your feet.

If you're with the wife, staying in lower Sukhumvit (around sois 1 thru 40) may not be the hot ticket for your first accomodations. It's more of a single guys and gals cruising area, if you know what I mean. In your price range there is a place just a couple of minutes walk from the skytrain, which you will soon discover is the key to getting around Bangkok quickly and cheaply. The name is Sukaa Place, located on Petchburi soi 14, very close to the Ratchathewi skytrain station. Google it for more information. They have rooms from 5,000 to 10,000 baht, nothing fancy just clean basic stuff, very well located, that will at least give you a good base of operations until you can get your bearings and sort things out a little better.

Forgive me, I haven't been following any previous threads that might have answered my following question,

For all the anticipation I sense from you, Why Bangkok???

Need I not point out that 6-9000 baht/month would easily get you a five bedroom house and a maid in almost any other province...(except Chonburi and Phuket)

There are a couple of guest houses in the Thewet area (might also be listed as Dusit). I think on Sri Ayuthaya Road or close by to where it ends. Nice area, plenty of plances to eat. Not for nightlife but a friendly, pretty, area, close to the river, good market, the Thewet Flower Market is nearby Transportation downside is that it is not near BTS (I'd guess about 10-20 min depending on traffic down to Phaya Thai BTS Station by taxi). But you can walk to the Tha Thewet Express Ferry stop and the ferry is a nice way to get around. Also near Sansem which feeds you downton and to Khosan Road if that floats your boat.

I head out near the airport to pick up a friend once or twice a week. Sure it can be 30 min. But it can be 90. Just to airport isn't so bad but you find yourself trying to go the last few KM and it can great really slow. Not recommened and as noted no reason to be there. (she works out there too so makes sense for her)

Edited by Valjean

Green

My wife made some friends from BKK we were going to check it out first. If it did not suit our tastes then would be looking at maybe Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Chiang Rai, and some other options. We did not want to pin ourselves down to just one place if you know what I mean.

To all others

Thanks for all the info about to look at that link Spaniel thanks again also going to google some those other places. Only have 18 more days till D-Day yip-eeeeee :o

if you want low end (cheap) with an interesting crowd ... you might want to look at Big John's (bigjohnsworld.com) Thong Lor Soi 9 .... haven't stayed there but it is owned by an Aussie guy .... great sunday roast!