Dear Oprah: Switzerland is not racist, just ask your friend Tina Turner

webfact

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not like Oprah. I am sure however her interpretation is correct The shop keeper made an assumption that she would prefer to buy a cheaper bag than the one she asked for. I am sure that the fact that she is black was a major part of the shopkeeper's decision to act as she did, This is racism.

It is only racism in your mind because you want it to be. Can you read my mind concerning your obvious racism?

All the corrupt leaders in Africa hide their loot in Switzerland.

They have been repatriating billions of dollars to Nigeria in the past 10 years, they still take in more loot.

I watched a documentary on nestle and how they take over prime water sources around the world on dw. Smart bunch.

If the sales lady is trying to convince the world she is speaking the truth, then why is she remaining anonymous?

As for Switzerland not being racist, what about their policy during WW2 or not letting Jews escaping the Nazi regime cross into their borders? Plus all the funds they are still holding that were looted from Holocaust victims. And the billions of dollars worth of gold looted from South East Asia by the Japanese in WW2.

I see no reasons why Oprah would make up this story and I believe her. This sales lady saw Oprah only as a black person and automatically assumed that she would have limitations on what she could afford. Racism based on stereotypical assumptions and that`s exactly what this is all about.

• Like 1

Immediately after the shop assistant refused to show Oprah Winfrey the $38,000 handbag because she felt Ms. Winfrey couldn't afford it, Oprah replied, "wanna bet?" Ms. Winfrey then walked out of the shop, headed down the street to the nearby government office and bought Switzerland.

If the sales lady is trying to convince the world she is speaking the truth, then why is she remaining anonymous?

Maybe she is frightened that "the hood will catch up" with her. Anyone with any sense would stay anonyomous.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Maybe she is frightened that "the hood will catch up" with her. Anyone with any sense would stay anonyomous.

If she's really afraid of "the hood" over a handbag incident in Switzerland she's got more serious problems than garden variety mild racism.

As for Switzerland not being racist, what about their policy during WW2 or not letting Jews escaping the Nazi regime cross into their borders? Plus all the funds they are still holding that were looted from Holocaust victims. And the billions of dollars worth of gold looted from South East Asia by the Japanese in WW2.

I see no reasons why Oprah would make up this story and I believe her. This sales lady saw Oprah only as a black person and automatically assumed that she would have limitations on what she could afford. Racism based on stereotypical assumptions and that`s exactly what this is all about.

All statements BS, do some solid reading some time. If I went into this shop (which I have visited in the past) in my every day working clothes, I would be treated in the same way Many Jews got into Switzerland during the war, the USA refused across the board to accept Jewish children as refugees despite Eleanor Roosevelts efforts

The 'Holocaust loot' story got sorted put a long time ago. Again, you should do some research.

All statements BS, do some solid reading some time. If I went into this shop (which I have visited in the past) in my every day working clothes, I would be treated in the same way Many Jews got into Switzerland during the war, the USA refused across the board to accept Jewish children as refugees despite Eleanor Roosevelts efforts

The 'Holocaust loot' story got sorted put a long time ago. Again, you should do some research.

If I went into this shop (which I have visited in the past) in my every day working clothes. Really?

Are you seriously suggesting that if considering buying expensive items in a store, that we should dress up in smart wear first? Top hat and tails perhaps? And does this mean that we would not be able to shop for expensive goods if on our working lunch break?

Claims for compensation regarding assets and funds stolen by the Nazis and placed into Swiss bank accounts are still going on today. And it is a fact that Jews seeking refuge in Switzerland during the war, were sent away from the Swiss borders to face certain death in the German Nazi occupied countries. It is also a fact the the Swiss bankers had a secret pact with Germany for the holding of looted monies and valuables.

And these are the facts, not just stories as you have mentioned.

Yes they do ok, possibly because they have a system of direct democracy and were sensible enough to stay out of two world wars.

I would be inclined to replace sensible with weak to make that comment read better, with the add-on of conniving enough to stash all that dodgy gold.

I have more respect for North Korea, and, having met many on my travels over the years, would back Oprah 100%.

Yes they do ok, possibly because they have a system of direct democracy and were sensible enough to stay out of two world wars.

I would be inclined to replace sensible with weak to make that comment read better, with the add-on of conniving enough to stash all that dodgy gold.

I have more respect for North Korea, and, having met many on my travels over the years, would back Oprah 100%.

Deary me, the good old USA made a fortune in both World wars before deciding to participate. Come on, there are plenty of places that are much worse. Most of the media, not just Swiss media, have come out against Oprah. The exploited Jews stories were sorted out long ago. Many people jumped on the 'let's get compensation from Switzerland' band wagon, including a New York couple that complained about having to sleep on straw when they were refugees in Switzerland. At the time the Swiss army didn't even have any bloody straw to sleep on. Very comfortable bedding, straw.

At the outbreak of the war, many people were all gung ho for fighting Germany. I think we has five tanks, two of them in disrepair, the plan was to abandon the low lying regions and retreat into the mountains.

You really should go and visit the place, as you obviously never have, people are generally respectful, helpful and honest. I never locked my front door even when going on holiday.

Edited by cooked

Switzerland is a beautiful country but no doubt they found a wicked way to emerge. I tend to think that they initially didn't want it to turn out this way but its kind of an aftermath.

A long long time ago Switzerland was nothing but a small country surrounded by mountains and covered by loads of snow all year.

So they had to come up with an idea to survive and succeed..and there you have the most elusive banking system this world has ever seen.

But I dont think that this it what they wanted to achieve: attract people with ill gotten fortune. It was just inevitable.

By the way the article was about the incident of Oprah..the country just got a brief introduction in the beginning.

And when it comes to Oprah I dont know what she is worried about.

She should have learned to ignore low life creatures like that shop employee a long time ago.

There is a difference between how people live in a country and how it treats its visitors. There is racism throughout Europe towards tourists especially Asian tourists. coffee1.gif end.

One of the most truest posts I've read in a long time - The truth stated as is.

thumbsup.gif