Thailand mulls compulsory travel insurance for all foreign tourists

webfact

Are you sure that the prices you give are not per day to insure, 6 euro per annum seems way too cheap to me..

I find it hard to believe an annual travel Insurance policy is only 6 euros per year for cover.

The cheapest I see on World Nomads for residents of Germany for a 12 month policy is 859 euro for the standard policy, rising to 1199 euro for the explore policy.

http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/prices-and-benefits-country.aspx?Country=DEU

As for the 500 baht for insurance in Thailand, probably someone just crunched some numbers and came up with x amount and said look how much extra we could make, probably will all blow over and nothing will come of it, BUT TIT, so maybe not.....

...in post 117 I posted the link to the details and also the fine print. This insurance is only valid for German citizens. And as I mentioned: You can travel for 6 weeks. Then you have to return to Germany and start the next journey. The fee is being charged on a year by year basis.

Help yourself. I hope you can read German, otherwise the google translator con be useful.

BTW: https://www.travelsecure.de/ offers a rate of 401,50 Euro, if you want to stay abroad for one year, not valid for USA and Canada though.

Looked at the site and it looks to me that it's an insurance on top of another insurance, How can someone cover someone for 6 euros for travel insurance from Germany worldwide excluding America and Canada for 6 weeks, I doubt 6 euros would cover the admin fee.

A six week trip for German residents is 126 euros for a standard policy with, link below...

http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/prices-and-benefits-country.aspx?Country=DEU

I use this insurance (DKV) by myself, and then after 70 days (the new contract says 6 weeks), I switch to travelsecure, which is a product of "die Wuertembergische". The DKV already reimbursed me for medical expenses, though it was only for the treatment and medication of an Angina lateralis at the local hospital. I believe, that there are more expensive insurances around. But nobody is forced to buy them.

Like I said before fxe1200, I looked at the site and it looked to me that it's an insurance on top of another insurance that someone already has paid or is paying for, on researching more I find that DKV do private health insurance which can be switched/upgraded to global cover at an extra cost so the insurance is NOT costing six euros when you take into account the cost being paid for the private health insurance.

I believe the 2 main types of health Insurance in Germany are private and public which has been obligatory for everyone in Germany, including the self-employed, since 2007.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t195587.html

Like I also said before, I find it hard to believe that anyone can provide world wide travel insurance excluding America and Canada for a six week trip for 6 euros, if they could 1000's would be using it which would put a big dent in the plan of the Thai's to charge 500 baht..

Travel Insurance for a total cost of six euros for a six week trip....rolleyes.gif

Edited by MB1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure that the prices you give are not per day to insure, 6 euro per annum seems way too cheap to me..

I find it hard to believe an annual travel Insurance policy is only 6 euros per year for cover.

The cheapest I see on World Nomads for residents of Germany for a 12 month policy is 859 euro for the standard policy, rising to 1199 euro for the explore policy.

As for the 500 baht for insurance in Thailand, probably someone just crunched some numbers and came up with x amount and said look how much extra we could make, probably will all blow over and nothing will come of it, BUT TIT, so maybe not.....

...in post 117 I posted the link to the details and also the fine print. This insurance is only valid for German citizens. And as I mentioned: You can travel for 6 weeks. Then you have to return to Germany and start the next journey. The fee is being charged on a year by year basis.

Help yourself. I hope you can read German, otherwise the google translator con be useful.

BTW: https://www.travelsecure.de/ offers a rate of 401,50 Euro, if you want to stay abroad for one year, not valid for USA and Canada though.

Looked at the site and it looks to me that it's an insurance on top of another insurance, How can someone cover someone for 6 euros for travel insurance from Germany worldwide excluding America and Canada for 6 weeks, I doubt 6 euros would cover the admin fee.

A six week trip for German residents is 126 euros for a standard policy with, link below...

I use this insurance (DKV) by myself, and then after 70 days (the new contract says 6 weeks), I switch to travelsecure, which is a product of "die Wuertembergische". The DKV already reimbursed me for medical expenses, though it was only for the treatment and medication of an Angina lateralis at the local hospital. I believe, that there are more expensive insurances around. But nobody is forced to buy them.

Like I said before fxe1200, I looked at the site and it looked to me that it's an insurance on top of another insurance that someone already has paid or is paying for, on researching more I find that DKV do private health insurance which can be switched/upgraded to global cover at an extra cost so the insurance is NOT costing six euros when you take into account the cost being paid for the private health insurance.

I believe the 2 main types of health Insurance in Germany are private and public which has been obligatory for everyone in Germany, including the self-employed, since 2007.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t195587.html

Like I also said before, I find it hard to believe that anyone can provide world wide travel insurance excluding America and Canada for a six week trip for 6 euros, if they could 1000's would be using it which would put a big dent in the plan of the Thai's to charge 500 baht..

Travel Insurance for a total cost of six euros for a six week trip....rolleyes.gif

If your main residence is not in Germany for more than 180 days a year, a German public insurance will no cover you at all, even if you come for a visit. But you can keep your membership in case you decide to return and want to live in Germany more than 180 days a year. Besides they do not cover you abroad, except in some European countries, with which they have certain agreements like Portugal, Italy, France and so on. The German public insurance is only obligatory for those who are employed, or unemployed. Currently there is no law citing, that you have to have an insurance as an entrepreneur, or as somebody who does not belong to either of these groups, at all. For the CEO of an LTD. it is worthwhile to have an insurance (mostly a private one), as the expenses are tax deductible, just as his salary.

As I said, Travelsecure is a product of the "Wuertembergische" and you must not have any other insurance at all. You can believe me: I use the DKV for the first 70 days in Thailand, and thereafter Travelsecure. This is all I need.

The main reason, that these travel insurances are so cheap, is the fact, that the average German rather books a stay in a Robinson Club, or at any other "safe" place. Germans do not want to get sick in their holidays, and only a very small percentage use the travel insurance, though 99,9% pay for it. They rather have their treatment at home, or buy their medication on site.

Edited by fxe1200

I can't see the problem?

Thais are required to have medical insurance when visiting Europe & Oz (probably USA & Canada too).

But... Thb500, nah, take it out with Colombus or whoever before you leave home.

Living here and travelling often I have Int'l cover anyway, but in other circumstances would not go anywhere without.