Thailand mulls compulsory travel insurance for all foreign tourists

webfact

"BANGKOK: -- The Tourism and Sports Ministry is planning to make it compulsory for all foreign tourists to have travel insurance before entering the Kingdom because unpaid bills are putting a huge strain on cash-strapped public hospitals in major destinations, particularly Phuket."

Yeah, right, it's tourists who are putting the strain on hospitals. Nothing at all to do with under funding, corruption and locals not paying their bills. <deleted> you cannot blame the state of Thailand's Public Health Service on tourists.

They are not blaming tourists for the state of the health service they are simply saying that some tourists are not paying their bills and this is a way to make sure that the hospitals are not out of pocket and to be honest why should they be because some dumb tourist refuses to spend a few quid on insurance before they come here, gets treatment and then has no money to pay

I personally think it is a good idea, wether tourists will is another matter

At 62 with a few medical conditions I have no problem paying 500 baht a year. Hell up it to 5000 baht.

Cheaper than I can get elsewhere.

I go to a public hospital every 2 months for blood tests and medicine cost to me here is about 4500 baht a month

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"BANGKOK: -- The Tourism and Sports Ministry is planning to make it compulsory for all foreign tourists to have travel insurance before entering the Kingdom because unpaid bills are putting a huge strain on cash-strapped public hospitals in major destinations, particularly Phuket."

Yeah, right, it's tourists who are putting the strain on hospitals. Nothing at all to do with under funding, corruption and locals not paying their bills. <deleted> you cannot blame the state of Thailand's Public Health Service on tourists.

They are not blaming tourists for the state of the health service they are simply saying that some tourists are not paying their bills and this is a way to make sure that the hospitals are not out of pocket and to be honest why should they be because some dumb tourist refuses to spend a few quid on insurance before they come here, gets treatment and then has no money to pay

I personally think it is a good idea, wether tourists will is another matter

It is not a question of good ideas, it is a question of being able to buy medical isurance.

Many travel insurance policies exclude pre-existing problems. so ,amy people can not buy insurance.

It would be handy and wiser for Thailand to include a few hundred baht per tourist in the visa costs.

Would this insurance cover things like the Malaysians injured in the Lee Gardens bombing in Hat Yai a year and a half ago? Or will you need separate terrorism insurance as well?

In the 2006 Hat Yai bombings, the government stepped in and covered medical bills.

Quality International private medical insurance does cover terrorism, but travel policies "usually" don't.

• Like 1

Tourist revenue in 2012 was 984,000,000,000 bht.

Cost of medical care was 200,000,000 bht or an insignificant 0.02% of revenue.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unfortunately the staff at the tourism and sports ministry were all hired based on their family name. None of them have a diploma in math, and jokes aside, I honestly do not think any of them can make your simple calculation without getting at least one 0 (zero) wrong :-(

And every time someone makes a visa run, that will be another extra 500 baht, right? That could add up nicely to those guys on 15 day visas. (They are 15 days, aren't they?)

15 days walk in -land

1 month fly in

90 days O visa, and so on.

Another poster suggested add it to the flight. UGH. look at a flight price -typical ex 26,000 bht Europe economy + security+take off tax+landing tax+ airline insurance+food/drink (indirectly) + handling charge+ extra luggage+ fuel surcharge+ bomb detection staff +????? so then you will pay 50,000 baht when it's calculated.

Has anyone noticed that many of these extras are not now warranted--fuel that was 150 dollars a B, is now 105 ?? ish,--extra staff on bomb alert,

vast amounts of money are collected by who???

Book average airline in England 30,000 bht economy---book the same return from Thailand 50,000 bht. same airline same dates. ???

And every time someone makes a visa run, that will be another extra 500 baht, right? That could add up nicely to those guys on 15 day visas. (They are 15 days, aren't they?)

15 days walk in -land

1 month fly in

Another poster suggested add it to the flight. UGH. look at a flight price -typical ex 26,000 bht Europe economy + security+take off tax+landing tax+ airline insurance+food/drink (indirectly) + handling charge+ extra luggage+ fuel surcharge+ bomb detection staff +????? so then you will pay 50,000 baht when it's calculated.

Has anyone noticed that many of these extras are not now warranted--fuel that was 150 dollars a B, is now 105 ?? ish,--extra staff on bomb alert,

Book average airline in England 30,000 bht economy---book the same return from Thailand 50,000 bht. same airline same dates. ???

This is down to the exchange rates, years ago when the baht was very weak against the Pound it was cheaper to book here, now the baht is strong it has turned the other way

• Like 1

Most of foreign patients in the province were suffering from motorcycle-related road accidents.

So why isn't the motorcycle insurance covering it then???? These absolute numpties can't work out that this isn't a zero sum game.

They have to shoulder 5mn baht's worth of unpaid bills, but what was their net revenue take from those who did pay? At 50k for an xray, plaster cast and a bye bye with a load of painkillers and antibiotics, that is 100 people who didn't pay. If you assume that 90% did pay, that means they would have taken in, 50k x 900 = 45,000,000

On the basis that most Thai's would get that service either from social funds, or the 30 baht, what would they prefer? Now they will need a pot of 100,000 tourists paying 500k each to cover the costs of 1000, assuming that only 1% go to hospital? Hmmmm. Quite a few assumptions there, but add in the fact that now lots more tourists are going to try to claim stuff that they would have paid for before, this is why, countries DON'T often go down this route.

I believe you are well aware that Thailand almost always takes a route no one else has ever taken before biggrin.png

Edited by monkeycountry

15 days walk in -land

1 month fly in

This is down to the exchange rates, years ago when the baht was very weak against the Pound it was cheaper to book here, now the baht is strong it has turned the other way

OK. but the thing is book through a UK website. from here on the internet.

Why are people blaming Thais for this or is just turning into another Thai bashing thread, a common theme on Thai Visa

Facts : People come here with no insurance, have a accident/get sick, go to a government hospital because the private ones will not admit them with no insurance or money to pay the bill, they then leave without paying the bill leaving the Thai population to pay it via their taxes

Is it just me or does anyone else think that is not acceptable? What kind of idiots visit a place like Thailand with no insurance?

How on earth can anyone apart from the usual Thai bashers on TV not think that the government must come up with a way to stop this happening?

It is not a matter of right and wrong. The government is not upset about right/wrong, but simply about losing money. Some of us Thai bashers are arguing that by far the cheapest (and easiest) solution for Thailand is to simply shoulder the relatively tiny amount of 200 million baht/year. If the insurance thing prevents even 1 in 1000 tourists from coming, then Thailand will lose a lot more than 200 million baht/year.

• Like 1

Well they used to have a 500 baht fee to leave the country - it was added into the airfare and did not stop many people coming I'd wager. So they will just charge it again or stick it on the airfare and maybe everyone can have it regardless of previous conditions.

Great idea and would do wonders for medical tourism as the public hospitals here are so dire it would be hard to see anyone coming here to use the 'public' services of the public hospitals unless their home hospitals are worse - hard to imagine maybe but there will be some countries where it is even worse.

Question is what about the people who overstay - would they be covered?

Medical Insurance along with pensions is such a scam anyway - it is galling to have to buy it really - especially so as you get older and into refusals or sky high premiums!

Edited by timewilltell

15 days walk in -land

1 month fly in

Nope you can't do that as the flight has to originate in the UK I think you'll find - least it was that way last I tried. I am pretty sure its still more expensive but maybe less so.

As most of the people involved can't even read English let alone understand it how could they verify that you have a travel policy.

In the interest of the tourist, they should be allowed to carry a gun while they are here to protect themselves from the bad guys. Almost all Thai men in Phuket carry a gun why should the tourist not be able to do the same to protect themselves. This might reduce the hospital bills for tourist.

Hmm, wasted tourists carrying guns in Phuket? Oh my, oh my, oh my, can you imagine the carnage?

Edited by Bluespunk

Most of foreign patients in the province were suffering from motorcycle-related road accidents.

So why isn't the motorcycle insurance covering it then???? These absolute numpties can't work out that this isn't a zero sum game.

They have to shoulder 5mn baht's worth of unpaid bills, but what was their net revenue take from those who did pay? At 50k for an xray, plaster cast and a bye bye with a load of painkillers and antibiotics, that is 100 people who didn't pay. If you assume that 90% did pay, that means they would have taken in, 50k x 900 = 45,000,000

On the basis that most Thai's would get that service either from social funds, or the 30 baht, what would they prefer? Now they will need a pot of 100,000 tourists paying 500k each to cover the costs of 1000, assuming that only 1% go to hospital? Hmmmm. Quite a few assumptions there, but add in the fact that now lots more tourists are going to try to claim stuff that they would have paid for before, this is why, countries DON'T often go down this route.

Lost tourist revenue is not an issue in this- those farangs who refuse to buy travel or health insurance and who leave hospitals without paying tend to come from low income demographics- the type who moan about 5 baht beer price differences, complain about over charging at noodle stalls etc- these type spend hardly anything (the bulk of their holiday spending going on the air fare over).

Combined these people still spend a lot more than 200 million baht/year though. And don't forget that processing time, paperwork and "uninsurable" issues for elderly rich people with pre existing conditions may prevent a few high income earners from coming too. So yes, it has a lot to do with lost tourism revenue!

15 days walk in -land

1 month fly in

There was a thread here a while back about the price difference of book from here (Thailand) to the UK and the price the other way around (both returns). No real answer that I saw, but it is more to do with the usual supply and demand and competition - Thailand is only one of a number of holiday destinations in the UK, so prices need to be competitive for the route to sell - however, Brits in Thailand and Thais doing UK business trips are a captive audience (UK is not a holiday destination for Thais - thus there is not the competition for routes - people in Thailand are either going to the UK or not) - its the same for most of Europe too IMO.

I first suggested putting it on Airport landing tax (btw it was 1000 baht exit fee for a few years before it was moved to the airlines). I still think this is the fairest and easiest way to do it. It allows for an emergency fund rather than individual based policy (that will encourage people not to buy home insurance!) that can be put aside and cover any such eventualities as hospital claims etc - it can also be invested (hopefully safely!). Landing tax here is very cheap compared to say the UK where it is expensive - a small lift in air ticket price worldwide (to Thailand) would hardly be noticed - and as all seats would be paying can be brought down to just a couple of dollars each - negligible verses a $1,000 ticket.

• Like 1

make all taxis,tuks tuks , songtaews pay thier taxs

problem solved [with profit ]

taxi drivers get backhanders for dropping people off at hospitals [regardless weather they get treatment or not , so screw the hospitals

many are scamming the insurance companies anyway

and now the public are having [maybe ] to pay [again]

bad idea

It's a great idea. I hope they implement it. (Paying for my air ticket with my Japanese Visa credit card covers me for my entire stay in Thailand. Not to mention I've got Japanese national medical insurance that also covers everything.) thumbsup.gif

yes AND paying the 500 Baht in Thailand.

because the purpose isn't to have an insurance it is the tea money that some decision maker will get from the insurance companies.

As most of the people involved can't even read English let alone understand it how could they verify that you have a travel policy.

In the interest of the tourist, they should be allowed to carry a gun while they are here to protect themselves from the bad guys. Almost all Thai men in Phuket carry a gun why should the tourist not be able to do the same to protect themselves. This might reduce the hospital bills for tourist.

But increase the mortuary bills for Falang and Thais. Brilliant Idea

Earlier in the post I was thinking what a great idea it would be to start an insurance company but now I think a funeral parlour may be even more profitable.

Den

• Like 1

It's a great idea. I hope they implement it. (Paying for my air ticket with my Japanese Visa credit card covers me for my entire stay in Thailand. Not to mention I've got Japanese national medical insurance that also covers everything.) thumbsup.gif

So when you get Japanese encephalitis you are well covered.

Den

Good for you. I hope you remember your post when you have been trying to explain your Japanese visa credit card insurance or your Japanese national medical insurance for an hour to a Thai official at the airport who speaks and reads neither English nor Japanese biggrin.png

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 1

More Math, from my side of the road as a business expense analyst .Profits look good, no matter which way this argument goes.whistling.gif

Here they say "foreign tourists' unpaid medical bills that cost the country more than Bt200 million annually. "w00t.gif

from another post on the same day " TAT expects to see 1.17 trillion baht revenue from tourism industry this year "clap2.gif

So, 1,170,000,000,000 - 200,000,000 = 1,169,800,000,000 Income after some small expenditures.. 1.1698 Trillion Baht , cheesy.gif

Guess we don't get a free bottle of water with that either, but the smiles are free. Right??biggrin.png

Or they could just get people to pay their bills. You can't walk out of a hotel without paying. Why are the hospitals any different?

Isn't that obvious? If you walk into a hotel without money - its your fault and you can find somewhere cheaper or sleep on a park bench. If you are hit by a speeding motorcycle on a pavement and rushed to a local hospital and come around 3 days later - didn't really have the same choice did you? The hotel has no moral obligation to house you, worse case scenario you get cold and go home early - it also should have been something you budgeted for as part of the holiday - hard to budget any eventuality as to accident or sickness (or whether you're insurable or insurance covers the amount/activity/area/etc) - and a hospital and the doctors therein have a moral obligation to treat emergency cases (and a legal one too) regardless of funds at initial. Completely different things - and easy to see why some people can not pay directly (even those with insurance).

I believe thailand does not have an insurance policy for people over 65?.Also looking at one of the replies which said 3rd party motor insurance should be pkay for motor accidents .Does anyone know if this is correct and what the cover is?