tracking staff

Our motorbike delivery guys get compensation per km they are driving.

It would be helpful to see who is where, if there is something to pickup, so we can tell that guy who is closest.

From time to time someone isn't working, or is working but accused of not working.

My idea would be that as everyone has a smartphone already, that the company pays the monthly fee for their private phone + the get the free minutes that are in the bundle but they have to install a gps tracking software so we can both see where they are at the moment + see where they were driving all the day, how far and where at which time.

Anyone has experience with such software?

• Like 1

Possible.

But tends to drain battery at a very fast rate.

Maybe better to install dedicated gps trackers into their bikes.

Not expensive anymore.

Both the trackers and the smartphone tracking software easily communicate with pretty much most tracking systems.

For software, take a look at gpsgate (google) if you want to run your own tracking system.

If not, there are plenty hosted solutions including some here locally in Thailand, for a small monthly fee.

• Like 1

Possible.

But tends to drain battery at a very fast rate.

Maybe better to install dedicated gps trackers into their bikes.

Not expensive anymore.

Both the trackers and the smartphone tracking software easily communicate with pretty much most tracking systems.

For software, take a look at gpsgate (google) if you want to run your own tracking system.

If not, there are plenty hosted solutions including some here locally in Thailand, for a small monthly fee.

phone was my idea because they have it always with them and if they loose their phone it is their problem. Also we have just 3 motorbike guys (sometimes 2 sometimes 4) so a professional solution might be too much.

Understandable.

But my phone, which normally runs an easy 12 hours with relatively heavy usage, saw it's battery drained is less then 4 hours.

By the way, GPSgate is free for up to 5 users, so with a bit of work you can get the server running, get a dynamic DNS address, put proper forwarding in your router and you have your own tracking server free of charge or monthly costs.

GPSgate works with most available trackers, I think the Android app to make your android phone talk to gpsgate is something like 9 us$ on Google play (GPS2GPSGATE).

Understandable.

But my phone, which normally runs an easy 12 hours with relatively heavy usage, saw it's battery drained is less then 4 hours.

By the way, GPSgate is free for up to 5 users, so with a bit of work you can get the server running, get a dynamic DNS address, put proper forwarding in your router and you have your own tracking server free of charge or monthly costs.

GPSgate works with most available trackers, I think the Android app to make your android phone talk to gpsgate is something like 9 us$ on Google play (GPS2GPSGATE).

OK will look into it :-)

Cellphone apps to track cellphones via GPS are not accurate, they will report the nearest cell tower.

Better to get a dedicated GPS.

Not true at all.

They might resort to using cell towers when no gps reception (inside buildings), but the name of the app says it all, gps tracker, meaning it uses the built in GPS receiver of your phone.

Which is also why I warned on the battery life, having the gps receiver on constantly, along with the constant 3G connection needed to update location every few seconds empties your battery in no time.

But when I trialled such an app, accuracy when outdoors is a few meters!

Sent from my GT-I9001

• Like 1

You also have to instruct them to not switch off the gps on their phone. smile.png

GPS fleet tracking is my main business and while phones are easy they have not enough accuracy and battery power.

The lack of accuracy is because many times phones are inside pockets, bags etc and the view to the sky is blocked. (The brand new models are better.)

Add the effect of urban canyon to it and loss of accuracy will be a real problem.

A dedicated gps tracker works much better, the ones with an external antenna can be even better because the antenna can be placed in a good location.

You also have to instruct them to not switch off the gps on their phone. smile.png

GPS fleet tracking is my main business and while phones are easy they have not enough accuracy and battery power.

The lack of accuracy is because many times phones are inside pockets, bags etc and the view to the sky is blocked. (The brand new models are better.)

Add the effect of urban canyon to it and loss of accuracy will be a real problem.

A dedicated gps tracker works much better, the ones with an external antenna can be even better because the antenna can be placed in a good location.

just to speak about the idea made them panic....which tells a lot of what they are doing all the day....

Even if the gps is not accurate, if it drives under a bridge and comes out on the other side after 2 hours I know there is something wrong :-)))

Do you know where I can get a cheap gps tracker? I think they should be on the person not on the motorbike. Because on the motorbike they can tell it got stolen while they waited inside the customers building for the signatures. If it is on the person it would be better. I think.

just 3-4 guys...what would you recommend?

I wouldn't have a problem to pay them an additional battery and give them some mobile phone data contract for free which they can use private as well to make it a bit sweeter for them. Or maybe a company sim card, with 200 free minutes per month....

Our fat old motorbike lady can deliver to 10 customer per day. The young fit men can do only 3 customer.......

• 7 months later...