Google Maps car stopped in Phrae, Thailand; driver accused of being govt spy

webfact

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they thought the government would send a spy in a Google-car, with a big ass "spy camera" mounted on the roof? rolleyes.gif

Theres even a sign on the side of it saying Google Maps Street View. Come on..

The Coconuts-logo under the article is well placed.

Ever seen a movie in Thailand?

Did you notice that every sign or written text appearing in that movie is spoken in Thai?

Well, the car should have mentioned that it is a google car, in Thai!

Face it, even Tom and Jerry cartoons are synchronised in Thai............

Well, they do have a point.

The google streetview car IS A SPY by any definition. And, yes the governement DO USE streetview a lot.

In the UK the police use streetview to look for house windows that are blacked up with condensation inside (clearly visible if you know what you are looking for) as that's a sign that there is a growing room in the house (ie growing cannabis etc). Police (and governments) use streetview for all sorts of things.

Perhaps more villages should stop Google cars from going through their villages !

• Like 1

This is a clear testament to the level of education. A car with a big camera and the words "google" on the side and they think it's the Thai government surveying for a dam.

I think what the villagers do not want is an ACCURATE MAP of the sea the govt can use from Bangkok on computers. If someone has to physically go there yet can protest.

With a Google map the govt gas all the details they need.

Not uneducated ...I would say savvy

• Like 2

I used to live there and they are probably worried about their supply of illegal Low Khow being exposed.

Loads of distilleries in that area and used to be able to get a 1.25litre bottled for 20 Baht or a bag for 10.

I used to live there and they are probably worried about their supply of illegal Low Khow being exposed.

Loads of distilleries in that area and used to be able to get a 1.25litre bottled for 20 Baht or a bag for 10.

don't talk about this, someone might read it and get ideas and explore Isaan aswell

don't talk about this, someone might read it and get ideas and explore Isaan aswell

Song district in Phrae province is not in Isaan :)

Song district in Phrae province is not in Isaan smile.png

I know, that's why I wrote " aswell"

• Like 2

So they thought the government would send a spy in a Google-car, with a big ass "spy camera" mounted on the roof? Posted Image

Do you think they can read english?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The villagers are right, only wrong government, it's not the Thai government, it's the US that uses Google to spy on us all over the world. Google maps is an essential part of it, combined with info from our email and what we all post on Facebook so they have a very detailed picture of what we do exactly where and when.

Break out the tin foil boys, we got some hats to make...

Google spelled backwards is Elgoog. Elgo-og, a latin term used in the 8th century to mean 'evil watchers'. There was a famous painting done in 786 AD which highlights the deity ELGO while the letters OG is Overto Governmento.

note: I am not related to Dan Brown.

Edited by puukao
  • Like 1

What it does show is that these people don't trust the Government.

As for them being stupid and uneducated, no such thing, they are only trying to protect their village and way of life in the only way open to them.

The Government has never told them or anyone else exactly what will happen when their grand scheme for flood prevention is enacted so they have every right to not trust this Government which has shown plenty of dirty tricks in the past to circumvent, intimidate and threaten the people.

What I find staggering is that no one in that village new who Google were??

I must disagree with you though, this does show a level of sheer stupidity, flood prevention or no flood prevention.

Coincidentally I drove through Song today and down the road in the National Park next to the river where they want to put the Dam. There were some signs on the road telling anyone who was coming to do anything related to the Dam to turn back and go away, their safety cannot be guaranteed!

There were some fairly angry looking people hanging around and the wife suggested we make a hasty retreat. It's clearly an emotional issue for the locals and I can fully understand why they would be worried about a google maps car, whether they have heard of an "Internet" or not.

Having driven through there today, I can confirm its a beautiful area. Wonderful scenery.

• Like 1

So they thought the government would send a spy in a Google-car, with a big ass "spy camera" mounted on the roof? rolleyes.gif

In Thailand the internet is not used for things like Google Maps, it is FaceBook, Youtube and Games.

How would these folks know that you can do other things on Google?

Google spelled backwards is Elgoog. Elgo-og, a latin term used in the 8th century to mean 'evil watchers'. There was a famous painting done in 786 AD which highlights the deity ELGO while the letters OG is Overto Governmento.

note: I am not related to Dan Brown.

oakuup is a 2nd century Latin term used to mean "excrement for brains".

• Like 1

You're assuming they know what Google is and really reaching when you assume they know what Google Street View is.

They always put the Coconuts logo under their articles.

Would you believe that I could have my car also painted in the Google maps colors, however I'm not related to Google in any way.

You probably are aware that if you want to hide something from the public, the best cover is no cover.

Edited by jbrain